Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,151  
On all pickups is called a tailgate - UP. It's usable space DOWN.

Just like the fold-down back seats in some vehicles.
I don't think anyone would not utilize the fold-down the back seat down when extra space is needed.
Sorry, a 4.5' bed is not practical for carrying an 8' sheet of plywood. Even with a 6' bed, a slick sheet of plywood or particle board has to be secured carefully or it will slide right out of the bed if you go uphill. When I grew up, a short bed truck was a special order item, mostly used to mount a utility body.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,152  
I'm on the fence. They are heavier, hold less charge and its usable voltage range is lower than NCA batteries, meaning the BMS has a harder time figuring the range (power) left. They require more frequent almost full discharge/recharge to make sure the BMS has a good idea of its charge.

On the other hand, it's nice not having to worry about battery degradation over frequent 100% charging.

But regarding its low temperature performance, what I've read is its basically its charging rate under low temperature that is slower than NCA batteries, but a software update has apparently mostly resolved that issue.
It's nice knowing my house is less likely to burn down with LiFePO4 (LFP) batteries instead of LiIon (speaking personally with backup batteries currently, and probably in a car some time in the future)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,153  
It's nice knowing my house is less likely to burn down with LiFePO4 (LFP) batteries instead of LiIon (speaking personally with backup batteries currently, and probably in a car some time in the future)
Don't keep your Bolt in the garage ;)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,154  
Don't keep your Bolt in the garage ;)
Some people have the equivalent "bolt"ed to the wall
though I suspect the Bolt's heat management isn't as well thought out as the Tesla's, the T still manages to catch fire here and there, though apparently not as often (or, at least, less publicly - I know there's on model S owner who last I read was still trying to get Tesla to do something about the burnt hulk in his driveway, but he's still a complete fanboy - people wouldn't put up with this from GM for a minute).

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,155  
I'm thinking it will be a very long time before I would risk ANY EV near my garage, especially when charging.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,156  
Don't know where you got that oil change mileage from.

As for batteriee, they are designed last the life of the vehicles, like an engine and those fails too, like mine did and it would have been a electric car, it would still have been under warranty repair, but nope, used one was $8,000.

This picture was taken behind the service bays of my Hyundai dealer. Notice all the engines sitting there.

No choice but to share the road with ICE or EV vehicles because here, at least, E-Bike must be limited to 20 mph to use the MUP. They are a danger for pedestrian.

So is hydro electricity. It's the sun that heats up the water from the ocean and bring it over terrain for it flow back into the rivers where the damns are.
A note to those unaware of it: Dams have an average life expectancy of 150 years.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,157  
Anyone notice all the folks walking away from jobs (and facing no UI, BTW)? How will EV markets be after folks are poorer, less jobs and the markets are saturated? Folks are already way over their head in debt and I'm not seeing this improve.

What's the end goal? Replacing ICE with EV ain't it. Perpetual growth on a finite planet isn't possible. "Efficiency" just means a resource is more readily exploitable: See Jevons' Paradox. Pay attention to my note above about the lifespans of dams: I'm in hydro-electric country; ain't going to last forever, and when they reach end of life I doubt anyone is going to be thinking of Elon (or his offspring).

I'd argued against local exuberance with the introduction of a rail station. Folks aren't smart enough to realize that they were subsidizing commutes to/from a larger city (and businesses there). I had suggested tax rebates to companies hiring local people- reducing commuting. Swapping ICEs with EVs doesn't do anything to change the commuting equation. Further, brown-outs from increased electrical loads is a negative which few are want to mention: as has been stated several times in this thread: we need to address the power grid before trying to saturate our roads with EVs (and NO, I don't believe this can be solved by rooftop PVs/solar, not in MY world).

And yes, I fully understand pollution issues: I've been to Manila enough times to understand that lots of ICEs in a city is a bad thing, especially my beloved diesel ICEs! We're shifting/ignoring other environmental issues such as lithium mining: Elon thought nothing of the US promoting coops against other nations' governments in order to achieve better access to resources. If you turn your head away, if you close your eyes, if you plug your ears then all is going to be just great!

I live in an area where there's about a 70/30 mix of diesel pickups to EVs (or so it seems): the amount of money rolling down my roadways is insane- horse people with vehicles and horses likely closing in on the $500 million mark. My wife's son (not around here) has a Tesla. I'm not ignorant of any of this. I further refuse to push "solutions:" anyone doing so is, I am certain, unable to clearly identify an end goal (perhaps in a hazy way, one laden with marketing rhetoric- humans are great at deception, it's a built-in from nature). NOTE: I totally destroyed an entire panel, in public, over "bio-fuels"- so much so that panelists, who were looking to profit off their obvious marketing efforts, wondered who I was working for- no one, just one person who was tired of marketing hype that would only lead to continued ignorance of how the world actually works.

DISCLAIMER: Like I need to note it... I am reliant upon diesel. My cars are cheap and fully depreciated and can attain upwards of 800 miles on a tank (I'd been averaging just over 800 miles per tank through the end of summer- looks like I'll rack up another one on this tank). No monthly car payments. Low insurance rates. No threat to my electrical loads: my electrical service is a low-budget rural one: 100 amps; I'd have to shell out a ton to bump it up- it's an underground service feed, under a roadway). I commuted by bicycle for five years: when I'd lived close to work- I'm about ready to retire, so commuting will end, after which it would be cost-ineffective to shell out for an expensive new vehicle that's making everyone else feel better about being "green")

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,158  
Sorry, a 4.5' bed is not practical for carrying an 8' sheet of plywood. Even with a 6' bed, a slick sheet of plywood or particle board has to be secured carefully or it will slide right out of the bed if you go uphill. When I grew up, a short bed truck was a special order item, mostly used to mount a utility body.
Did you see the 4'X8' on the back of the Maverick on the link I posted. Yes you have to secure anything when the tail gate is down.
I don't do anything any more that requires 4'x8'. If I need plywood I get it cut at Home Depot close to the size I will be using and can handle easily by my self. I don't hang sheetrock. How many times do non-contractors haul a 4'x8' in a year? When I do haul large stuff a 6-8' bed is not large enough and I have to hook up my 10' or 18' trailer. All pallets of rock or cement go on the trailer also.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,159  
Some people have the equivalent "bolt"ed to the wall
though I suspect the Bolt's heat management isn't as well thought out as the Tesla's, the T still manages to catch fire here and there, though apparently not as often (or, at least, less publicly - I know there's on model S owner who last I read was still trying to get Tesla to do something about the burnt hulk in his driveway, but he's still a complete fanboy - people wouldn't put up with this from GM for a minute).
"from 2012 to 2020 there was about one Tesla vehicle fire per 205 million miles traveled—versus one per 19 million miles traveled for all types"

I know two persons who's ICE car burnt, my dad in his carport and a coworker while parked at work.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,160  
"from 2012 to 2020 there was about one Tesla vehicle fire per 205 million miles traveled—versus one per 19 million miles traveled for all types"

I know two persons who's ICE car burnt, my dad in his carport and a coworker while parked at work.

I wasn't stating the contrary. I was making a point, though, that LFP are less likely to catch fire than LiIon - and in addition, you can actually put out an LFP that's on fire, while you basically have to "manage" an LiIon fire until it's done. The FD can also put out an ICE car on fire as well, assuming they're there in time...

Considering that an LiIon car is most likely to be charged in the middle of the night, even a low rate of fires as a result of faulty charging is concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.