Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,221  
From the article:
A mid-priced internal combustion car that gets 33 miles per gallon would cost $8.58 in overall costs to drive 100 miles at $2.81 a gallon, the study found. But a mid-priced EV, such as Chevrolet Bolt, Nissan Leaf or a Tesla Model 3, would cost $12.95 to drive 100 miles in terms of costs that include recharging the vehicle using mostly a commercial charger.

For luxury cars that get 26 miles per gallon and using premium gas at $3.25 a gallon, the cost to drive an internal combustion car 100 miles is $12.60. The cost to drive a luxury EV, such as a Taycan, Tesla Model S or X or Jaguar I-Pace, is $15.52 to travel 100 miles. That is using mostly commercial chargers.

It seems that charging at residential rates is important for EVs to be cost effective. But everybody already knew that. This is going to be a major problem with the EV transition for the many living without a private garage. But that's not new either.

It'll be important to watch how the electrical grids adapt to this, especially with the big push for renewables which tend to result in very low wholesale electricity prices during the middle of the day when everybody is at work and high wholesale prices all other times when everybody is at home and should be charging.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,222  
I don’t view EVs as better or worse; rather they are different. For some applications such as short trips or in heavily congested areas they will help to move the pollution source elsewhere.
What I find ironic is that we have an upcoming referendum, trying to stop a major transmission line which is being built to bring “Green” power from Quebec Hydro to Massachusetts via western Maine. Yet at the same time dams are being pulled all over this state because hydro power is bad.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,223  
"EVs cost more to power than gasoline costs to fuel an internal combustion car that gets reasonable gas mileage."
This is the industry version of clickbait.

1. Create a study that claims something shocking.
2. Make it part of a series with the first one free (the rest of this series is available only by subscription).
3. Peddle it to people and groups pushing an agenda.
4. Profit!

Just a few of the interesting tidbits you’ll find in this study:

They figure you’ll personally spend 6 hours each month simply finding a charger, and then standing there blindly staring at that charger while it works, unable to do anything else. They value that time at $33 an hour (!), for a “cost” each month of about $190 in time to charge your vehicle.

They assume drivers will use a commercial charger 90% of the time, and that the cost for that is up to 66 (!) cents a kWh. Nuff said about that.

They assume every EV owner will drive over 700 miles every year trying to find a charging station. That’s 10 miles of aimless wandering every single time you charge your EV.

They assume every state charges EVs an extra $200 a year in taxes. Only a few actually do today.

It just goes on and on like this. Are they lying? No, because theoretically their scenario potentially exists, it’s just that none of it represents reality for 99% of the world.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,225  
I don't mind anything as long as people have choices. Government mandates, phasing out things, forcing things on people is what bothers me. Let people decide what to drive, how to live, etc.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,226  
Afford
I don't mind anything as long as people have choices. Government mandates, phasing out things, forcing things on people is what bothers me. Let people decide what to drive, how to live, etc.
Affordable gas doesn't appear to be an option anymore.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,227  
Afford

Affordable gas doesn't appear to be an option anymore.
Even if it gets to 6$/ gallon I can still buy a lot of gas for the price of a Rivian.

I burn about 1000 gallons/year in my pickup.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,228  
It's a major, major change and foolish not to look at it from every angle. Never assume new is always better. Never embrace everything that comes down the pike as an improvement without looking deeper.
But if we follow your line of thinking, how will the Right People make the Right Money ????

Big Wink ;)

As the last almost 2 years have highlighted, many times, there is one set of Rules for peasants like me, and different (or no) Rules for Richey Rich....

Just to get to work, and buy groceries. I need reliable and affordable personal transportation in the frozen North. I'm told my ICE options will disappear.

Billionares however, can blast rockets into space, just because. Who's permission did they get to add that pollution to the atmosphere? Not Mine.

Megayachts - one cruise in those will likely blow more carbon, than any ICE vehicle I could drive to work, assuming I kept working till I was 100.

Peasants - get used to No ICE.

Billionares - Smoke 'em if Ya Got Em !

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,229  
"EVs cost more to power than gasoline costs to fuel an internal combustion car that gets reasonable gas mileage."
If you have the money to buy a EV Porsche and don't bother to install a Level 2 charger at your place, you're an idiot. This guy is an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.