Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,542  
So GM has 68,000 non recyclable batteries to dispose of. Anybody heard of their plans for this GREEN ENERGY ???
Nope. And no one heard of Ford's plans to recycle soot and carbon monoxide 110 years ago either.....

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,543  
Nope. And no one heard of Ford's plans to recycle soot and carbon monoxide 110 years ago either.....
The two biggest differences are that 110 years ago we didn't have the pollution problems that we have now... and those of us who are skeptics will always find problems. ;)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,544  
The two biggest differences are that 110 years ago we didn't have the pollution problems that we have now... and those of us who are skeptics will always find problems. ;)
While Ignorance is no defense, legally or (IMO) otherwise, I'd add:

Access To Information.

110 years ago, few people understood the consequences of what they were doing, and fewer still knew much about material science, nor had ready access to 411.

2021: anyone with access to the web can go to wikipedia et al, and see exactly what the toxicity and risks are for any material known to man. From wikipedia:

Lithium metal is corrosive and requires special handling to avoid skin contact. Breathing lithium dust or lithium compounds (which are often alkaline) initially irritate the nose and throat, while higher exposure can cause a buildup of fluid in the lungs, leading to pulmonary edema. The metal itself is a handling hazard because contact with moisture produces the caustic lithium hydroxide. Lithium is safely stored in non-reactive compounds such as naphtha.[201]

Storage... a bit ironic, No ?

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,545  
What is definition of 'growth'?

I think growth can continue forever..... just maybe 'different' growth than what you are thinking of.

Haven't we -as a species- been growing forever already??
Not talking about waist sizes.

Growth as in total population. Human mouths to feed.

It cannot continue "forever".

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,546  
So GM has 68,000 non recyclable batteries to dispose of. Anybody heard of their plans for this GREEN ENERGY ???
🤬🤬🤬🤬.

I know where they should go, but I better not say.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,547  
Why can't GM recycle them?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,548  

Gassing up on sunshine at home info.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,549  
The two biggest differences are that 110 years ago we didn't have the pollution problems that we have now...
I don't know about that. I'd imagine most cities were rather squalid places to live turn of last century, between raw sewage being dumped in any available body of water, the air thick with wood and coal smoke, horse turds everywhere in the streets, etc.
Might not have reached the critical mass it did mid-20th century, but we were well on the way. Very little was done to remedy this until the 1960s.

While I don't buy most of Gale's "dawn of a new enlightened age" visions, the good old days weren't all that great either.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,550  
Not talking about waist sizes.

Growth as in total population. Human mouths to feed.

It cannot continue "forever".

Oh. And that last thought there is VERY close. Change one word and you've nailed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.