Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,811  
I am totally am GOOD with fusion. But...I was following fusion back in the early 80s. Almost 40 years ago! :( Big part of my attraction was that it had the potential to be used to recover base atomic elements from stuff- (this is the stuff that actually excites me)

https://fusiontorch.com/recycling

BUT... the caveat is that energy is only ONE part of our equation, and that while hot fusion could do wonders for managing extracted resources (recycling) there's still the issue of habitable land mass, water and food to consider. Our current "economic" meme is infinite growth; no matter how much hot fusion could add it would eventually fail to resolve the problems of perpetual growth. My desire would be that we'd develop it only alongside a HUGE educational program that aims to disavow the infinite-growth paradigm and to foster honest and open discussions on how best to continue.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,812  
Unlike the US?

View attachment 722391

A LOT of the world would like to be free but the US won't allow that.

US is an empire and ALL empires collapse. There will be another empire to follow and it too will collapse. Of course, this could all be avoided with nukes (US had once proposed nuking China; it had US troops IN China in the early 1900s [US also had troops in Russia in the early 1900s]). China, at this point, has like ONE foreign military base (I'm thinking it's in Afghanistan - irony abounds, but am not sure- simple Google inquiry would bring it up, but where it's at isn't as important as are the numbers). Collapse all of humanity and one can avoid the singular collapse experience.
Ever think about moving to a country that would better fit your philosophy?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,813  
If I could, and I've tried, to move to the Netherlands, I would. :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,814  
Ever think about moving to a country that would better fit your philosophy?
Founders warned about meddling in the affairs of other countries. Apparently you wouldn't have been in agreement with them.

BTW - I'm not hard of hearing. No need to shout. ;)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,815  
Founders warned about meddling in the affairs of other countries. Apparently you wouldn't have been in agreement with them.

BTW - I'm not hard of hearing. No need to shout. ;)
They weren't concerned with other countries, they were busy wiping out the native Indian nations.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,816  
They weren't concerned with other countries, they were busy wiping out the native Indian nations.
Yeah, and there's THAT too. Sadly, not an uncommon thing in a lot of countries (just peer up into Canada to see some of the same, though at a smaller scale [well, they've always been a smaller population, so I suppose it could be proportional]). The fiction that we/US are the saviors of the planet is wearing thin theses days. But, keeping it in the "family" rather than spreading it out across the globe would have been better: poor South America has been under assault since the Monroe Doctrine.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,817  
Well, the easiest reduction on pollution would be reduce consumption, make ting last long and be easy to repair. Reduce the use of plastic and use metal as metal is possible to recycle for ever, how have we got to accept at a car to be almost a disposable item? Rust, engineered low life with rust, unrepairable parts and labor cost to make it uneconomical to keep it alive.

We buy and buy the same products many times over and over again whitout any added value just design to fail, why is this not an issue?
^^^×10^^^

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,818  
i think I'm going to go off grid, after being on grid with the solar net-metered stuff. If its off grid, I get to do it. To re-instate being On grid, I have to hire sanctioned, approved people to have my snow damaged system re-approved by the local utility. ... $$$$. If I can just do an EV car off grid entirely, I'm all in. Its a 4KW Solar System.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,819  
I don't think 4kW would run everything would it?
Here we don't have all that many sunny days either, so I would wonder about the batteries maintenance and longevity.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,820  
My 7.68kW system (AC: 10kW of panels clipped by inverters during mid-summer) produced 35kWh today, which was cloudless all day (about 39°N).

It's plenty to run the house on... on a sunny day. Winter storm? Be lucky to get 1kWh.

Status
Not open for further replies.