Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,921  
After the government forces us into the EVs where do all the batteries come from? Who controls the raw materials for the batteries? How much will the batteries cost?

The cost of an EV now is out of this world for many people. When those few countries that can supply batteries will become the new OPEC and they will hold the world hostage for more money. The demand for solar panels will increase as well as the cost of the panels goes up. This will hurt the working class very hard.

I see nothing good coming from one power source. Forcing all the people into an EV world is not the fix it is just a changing of the problem.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,922  
GM hasnt been an intelligently run organization in the last few decades and has been bailed out by the government, so what they say/do is of little concern to me.
I have no direct oil stocks, there may be a few in some mutual funds I own.
You bring up another topic though. When oil goes away, or gets reduced 50%, what happens to all the Americans who own retirement funds invested in oil? Or Mutual funds?
Do they just retire with less money? And pay more for food, electricity and anything requiring trucking?
Sounds like a win, lose, lose, lose.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,923  
Never gonna happen
My father who finished the fifth grade one day told me when I used the word NEVER that son never is a mighty long time. :)

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,924  
My father who finished the fifth grade one day told me when I used the word NEVER that son never is a mighty long time. :)
Yeah, but we all know what Roy Jackson said is true. :)
Those running the world won’t cross the Atlantic in a sailboat, peddle from Georgetown to Congress on a bicycle, or fly to the environmental conferences in coach class ;)

In other words “do as I say, not as I do”. ;)

We should take an approach where all of us get a pice of the pie and nobody gets ruined.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,925  
Have we all seen the new GMC pickup ads. Self driving pickups. Now we can go down the road - slap our thighs and clap hands to rousing music. No hands on the steering wheel.

Just what this world needs .................. along with EV's.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,926  
The solution for the time being should be based on what can be done now. A hybrid makes the most effective solution for the technology that can come off the shelf today. An ICE setup to run at peak efficiency to power a generator or alternator and a small exchangeable battery pack (common design) to store the surplus power. As the electric motors move you down the road.

No, this is not perfect. But it could be done today. No need to wait on better batteries. No need for a new power grid. Does allow minimum air pollution and extended driving range. Hybrids could be used in every type of vehicle from small cars to heavy haul trucks.

This design was used back in the 1960's to run heavy haul trucks in the coal mines. Except they did not try to capture the extra electric energy. My dad was a super in the repair shop for such trucks.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,927  

I was in LA a few weeks ago and regularly saw gas over $5 a gallon. You’d think people would be up in arms at paying twice what some other Americans pay but I talked to one person who thought it was great. They also thought it was great that their taxes were so high because they got so much benefit from it. We talked for a couple hours and the rest was just as surreal.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,928  

EVs will come and go. It's the process that excites me.

EVs will go the same way as the ICEV is today. I am not the source of change nor can I stop change so as i age I try to learn to roll with things as they evolve.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,929  
EV works just fine and now it's become the first choice for buyers, most people move them selves in a relative small area.
Winter was one of the things EV surly would not handle, no problem, all the arguments against them was not really a problem for most buyers her I live.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,930  
EVs are a disruptive technology. Does anyone really believe that this is a fad that is not going to happen? Those who are resistant to change are just pushing against a glacier.

Again, I don't plan to rush out and buy an EV. I expect that my kids will be driving an EV within 5 years.

To paraphrase a saying, "Change Happens"

Status
Not open for further replies.