Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,961  
When EVs has enough market share it will make economical sense for a lot of people, but to get there it often need some help, here the government have used enormous amount of oil money to give the EVes a market and experience in real world.
I’m not sure if I like government assisted cars here.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,962  
I’m not sure if I like government assisted cars here.
Understandably for most other countries, but we have a government that drowns in money so all that is no issue.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#5,963  
Then there’s the ongoing question, to which no one has an absolute concrete answer:
Is there really a reduction in emissions when power plants, fired by fossil fuels, will have to work harder to charge all the EVs?
Is the reduction enough to warrant:
1. the mining of the metals for batteries.
2. The production of critical vehicle components mostly overseas?
3. the loss of 100’s of thousands of american jobs in the energy sector?
4. the disposal of, and the looming environmental disaster forthcoming from exhausted batteries?

I don’t think all 4 have been computed and considered fully, despite the vigor in which EVs are being pursued.

You can call people like me who question forced EVs “living in the past” or other disparaging names, but I think it’s more prudent to be cautious, let free markets work, and not force a one size fits all energy policy on everyone.
No one is forcing you or anyone to buy an EV. The global market place will address your 4 concerns. They are valid concerns but do you see yourself or myself having the power to answer any of the four?

Do you fully grasp the ICE era is ending?

There will be ICE vehicles around as long as there are Amish buggies around. A local Lowes even had a hitching post.

Thinking tomorrow will be like yesterday can lead to serious health issues.

Come 2030 the EV concerns should be better defined.

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,964  
Japanese car makers are toast in Europe and China and in the USA their babyboomer market share is dying on them. They had a good run in the USA for 50 years but they didn't make the EV curve and crashed.
Got anything to substantiate that claim?

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,965  
No one is forcing you or anyone to buy an EV. The global market place will address your 4 concerns. They are valid concerns but do you see yourself or myself having the power to answer any of the four?

There will be ICE vehicles around as long as there are Amish buggies around. A local Lowes even had a hitching post.

You're making a lot of claims, Gale...but you you have to back them up?

#5,966  
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,967  
You're making a lot of claims, Gale...but you you have to back them up?
Both Nissan and Honda have been very close to give up Europe in 2020/21

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,968  
Both Nissan and Honda have been very close to give up Europe in 2020/21
I’m not sure Europe is a big market to them?
I would think China and Asia as a whole are far higher on the list, with North America being a close second.
Also think Honda or Toyota are on the fence because they know that things can change. We don’t know what they have in the R&D departments

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #5,969  

Come 2030 the EV concerns should be better defined.

Sorry, but facts are stubborn. It’s a fact that EVs are being forced on us because an entire EV infrastructure is being built with subsidies. That is force.
I don’t recall gas stations being built that way? :)

I do grasp the ICE era is ending, but I would have preferred it ended with a less “pressured” way. I think ICEVs could still be made to burn cleanly and preserve our domestic energy jobs and existing infrastructures

#5,970  
Sorry, but facts are stubborn. It’s a fact that EVs are being forced on us because an entire EV infrastructure is being built with subsidies. That is force.
I don’t recall gas stations being built that way? :)

I do grasp the ICE era is ending, but I would have preferred it ended with a less “pressured” way. I think ICEVs could still be made to burn cleanly and preserve our domestic energy jobs and existing infrastructures
We all have our preference. Today social influences rule the day. The USA is losing or has lost its worldwide influence on vehicles and most other things. I see the USA more like an England of a hundred years ago as is covered by Ray in this video.

Status
Not open for further replies.