Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,011  
It was the 240d and 300d/300d turbo that was the work horse, parts for those were easy to get everywhere and quit cheap as this was the almost default Taxi.
A Canadian car-guy I know, has way more money to play with than I ever will.

A few years back, he was talking about the length of time that his brother's new MB was spending in the dealership - he did LOL for real, when I asked "I'll never afford one, but I'm just curious, when you buy one of those, do you also park a Hyundai next to it, so you have something to drive ?".

He and his brother had, at one time or another, pretty much every high-end car. His last comment - "The one car I will never sell, is my MB 240D. Change the oil, put fuel in the tank, it runs".

Simple and reliable has a lot of appeal to me..... but it really says something when somebody who could afford to drive literally anything puts it at the top of his Keep List.

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,013  
Then you die on that hill, how many European cars did you own to make that claim?

In a previous life I worked maintenance in the automotive sector. If it was sold here, I probably put a wrench on it. It didn’t take long to figure out which cars were good and which cars were bad. Those old MB diesels seemed to run forever. I don’t know if the new ones are as good but they were just about indestructible. Peugeots, Renaults, Fiats, Jags too, you just looked at them sideways and the wheels fell off.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,014  
Meant PHEV, All Thumbs in the way
Thanks for the suggestion.

Struggling with the Canadian Mitsu site.... but it looks like the base price is something like $44k CAD. Too rich for my blood.... many new vehicles are, but that says more about me than EVs....

I know things like brake calipers are expensive here on modern Mitsu's, but that may improve once they are in our market longer. ^ only matters to Buy/Hold guys like me; if you rotate vehicles fast, that's a Don't Care issue....

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,015  
I was in LA a few weeks ago and regularly saw gas over $5 a gallon. You’d think people would be up in arms at paying twice what some other Americans pay but I talked to one person who thought it was great. They also thought it was great that their taxes were so high because they got so much benefit from it. We talked for a couple hours and the rest was just as surreal.
Those lala folk could get "benefited" (we call it something else, non-printable, up here) even more, moving to Canada.

Olde Expression - Must Be Something in The Water.... but today, I'd say it's more in the air.....

I'm pretty sure that pic that Roy didn't recognize was of Elon smoking dope with Rogan on his show, when he was still based in Cali....

Cause, meet Effect ?

Rgds, D.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,018  
I remember in 2008 when Rick Wagoner CEO of GM predicted high gas prices for the foreseeable future and started building little cars. Then the recession hit and gas prices ended up at about $1. After that I stopped listening to GM CEOs
I have spent decades listening to people predict the future. Mostly they get it wrong. I give them the same leeway I give the weather man. Three days is about the limit of accuracy. After that, all bets are off.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,019  
Status
Not open for further replies.