Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,041  
Thanks for the suggestion.

Struggling with the Canadian Mitsu site.... but it looks like the base price is something like $44k CAD. Too rich for my blood.... many new vehicles are, but that says more about me than EVs....

I know things like brake calipers are expensive here on modern Mitsu's, but that may improve once they are in our market longer. ^ only matters to Buy/Hold guys like me; if you rotate vehicles fast, that's a Don't Care issue....

Rgds, D.
Sorry I didn't see your post till now.
We Got the Outlander in March before when car prices were
just starting to go crazy here. We paid 32,200 for an in-
stock car (2021 SEL model) It is all-wheel drive, good for
24 miles on electic power only. This covers alot of our
grocery any drugstore and shoping trips. The AWD can be
important in Minnesota sometimes. It still has the gas
engine for longer trips and I think the heater is better
in hybrids, also important in MN.
Also, we can take advantage of a $6600 (US) tax credit for
this vehicle applied directly to our taxes.
Brings net cost to about 26,000. Since our prior car was
rear-ended in a snowstorm at a red light, we got replacemet
value for it and our out-of-pocket cost was minimal.
We have 7.5KW of solar that nets us an average of 25KWH
of output per day. The battery in the Mitsubishi is 13.8KW
We are driving on sunshine most days
So far it has been great.
I wish you good luck in your search
regards, R.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow.
#6,042  
American supply chains face a dire threat from China's water shortages

Folks this news is not only bad for EVS it is bad for the entire supply chain that we get from china. Look at what percentage of Walmart goods comes from China. It's going to take years to find and develop other countries to make up for the shortfall that may be occurring long-term in China.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,043  
New AI method makes self-driving vehicles better drivers

I did not realize full self-driving was a worldwide effort.
Tens of thousands of people are killed every year by human drivers all over the world. Getting more reliable computers in control could save lives in many countries, not just the US. I have to admit, it's hard for me to imagine how to automate street traffic in Delhi, so it probably won't happen everywhere at once.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,044  

Near us directly they have recently built i believe 37 wind generators with more planned. Along the I-90 There are several established windmill farms. Talk of adding more.

Also in the works will be solar panel farms (May 2 2021. Solar farms are booming in Washington State. Quote Seattle Times).

I also have a good friend in West Seattle who added solar panels to his house. On good months he is making money adding back to the grid.

These are just a small examples as to where our future energy is coming from. Big companies, factories and school districts are planning and adding solar power to be net zero.

All this coming from free sources that will never be depleted, not petrol fuel.

They havn't polled our state yet but I am guessing that 90% of all our daily driving is less than 150 miles a day.

That's the target market for EV vehicles and homeowners.

For you long haulers and industrial farmers who work 24 hours a day there is some relief coming for you as well. Class9 semi and commercial trucks EV equipped can function now in a 150 mile per day window. Tesla is in the works for a Class9 that would have a 600 mile range.

Battery technology is changing daily. What once took a huge battery bank to store energy can now be stored in something smaller than a refrigerator size. The ford F150 Lightning boasts

How many million barrels of oil a day could we cut back through EV use as well as adding solar to our homes and businesses. I'm sure it will cause cuts in some labor areas but will also create possibly as many new jobs as well.
How many millions of barrels a day do we ship out of our country to others that could extend oil usage here at home for many years to come. I know oil usage isnt going away. I also believe the oil technology of over 100 years ago cant sustain us going into the future. We have proven the energy of the sun and the power of the wind and soon be the power of the tides are here to stay for many years to come.

Being a old gearhead who for many years who loved fast gas guzzling cars and powerful trucks know thats history. i can embrace a change. I know there must be a few more who agree.
The old power grid that is as old as most of us cant survive adding more and more people a day.
I'm ready to move up to a hybrid life for now. I'm leaning towards a EV as our next vehicle. Also will keep a diesel truck around for those few days I need to move a excavator or tractor. Who knows maybe soon that will change as well. I dont see any of this going backwards.

The quote below doesnt see it either. This is just one company making a change and taking on the challenge. Many more to come.

I welcome comments.
    • Future Electric Ford F-Series to Come from Huge Blue Oval City Factory, New Battery Plant​

• Ford will create Blue Oval City, a $5.6 billion, 3600-acre campus outside Memphis, Tennessee, that includes a battery plant and will build an expanded lineup of electric F-series trucks starting in 2025.
    • Ford is also building a $5.8 billion, 1500-acre battery manufacturing complex in Kentucky to produce the batteries for future Ford and Lincoln EVs starting in 2025.
    • The battery plants are part of a new joint venture, still pending approval, with partner SK Innovation.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,045  
regards, R.
That's great 411 Roric, thanks for taking the time to post it.

Heat, always popular with me, this time of year. I could drift off into water pump design on old ICE engines vs. newer ones... but I won't drift that far...... today :)

Nice array you've installed, that's a great combo.

AWD is really popular up here. Less so, with an outlier like me, esp. after just doing re/re on a transfer-case recently.

My thing is tires. With my choice of snow tires on even a RWD, I'll drive some places many people with AWD shouldn't try.

My preference is to keep things simple but effective...... but I fully recognize that is not what sells today.

Your Mitsu sounds like a good choice, in today's new market.

Rgds, D.

#6,047  

China EV makers establishing USA factories sounds like what Japanese car makers did decades ago.

#6,048  
regards, R.
I drive my plug-in hybrid in electric mode — making gas prices an afterthought. Here's what I've learned.

I think 2019 was the last year of the Volt. Since full electric car supplies will be limited for many years to come hybrids can be a good bridge for some.

/ Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,049  
New TFL Rivian vid about a an R1T towing a trailered Mustang 2700 miles averaging 80% charge to 16% basically 100 miles between required charge stops.

They managed it- but at ~20 stops really need more battery for it to compete with gas or diesel towing range

ps. Got a kick out of one of the comments

"May have done better using the mustang to tow the R1T."

Last edited:
   / Battery based electric vehicles of today and tomorrow. #6,050  
New TFL Rivian vid about a an R1T towing a trailered Mustang 2700 miles averaging 80% charge to 16% basically 100 miles between required charge stops.

They managed it- but at ~20 stops really need more battery for it to compete with gas or diesel towing range

ps. Got a kick out of one of the comments

"May have done better using the mustang to tow the R1T."

WOW, 5-10 years out before that's a normal thing imo.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.