Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,821  
One of my car collector friends had enough and is now a registered Dealer and for his hobby vehicles he hangs the Dealer Plate…

In the last 5 years he also reported 3 sales…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,822  
...my 6500 property tax in Washington is pushing 20k
That's just insane. We are near NJ, who is also billing $15k - $30k on typical residential properties. Nuts! I'm in 8100 sq.ft. on 4 acres, Zestimate almost exactly $1.00 M, and we're still under $10k with combined property taxes. More common properties (3k sq.ft. on < 1 acre @ $500k) are paying more like $3k - $6k.

Of course, in light of the other post you just made, I'd be willing to pay more in property taxes for sailing on SF Bay:
Sailed the SF Bay for a time… Good memories and good sailing on the Bay..,

Even in Idaho... the law is ANY vehicle must be registered.
I don't know if it's changed recently here, but historically we've only ever registered cars we drive. I had several project cars up thru the 1990's, and none were ever registered until it was time to have them inspected. PA has yearly safety inspections, and you can't get your inspection sticker without valid registration. Other than that, there's no reason to register, here.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,823  
Ars Technica - Are self-driving cars already safer than human drivers?

Interesting.

The author combed through all the crash reports for driverless taxis in San Francisco and concluded compared to the general public, their accident rate was less than the high rate for beginners and elderly, but not as low as seasoned experienced drivers.

For one company all their events were relatively minor, getting sideswiped by some fool trying to turn left into the same space and not taking sufficient evasive action, for example. And all at very low speeds. The other company had more reportable events but for example many were other drivers, or bicyclists, running red lights etc or rear-ending the vehicle when it was properly waiting at a stoplight, events that at a really experienced driver might evade. But one of those red light incidents was a fire truck. The software is being updated to respond better to sirens.

Overall he says the accident record per mile is substantially better than the closest comparables, Uber and Lyft, in complex San Francisco traffic.

But since every event has to be reported for the autonomous vehicles as a condition for allowing them, vs similar minor events by drivers that possibly aren't reported, he concludes overall that that he thinks parity with drivers has already been attained and accident avoidance will continue to improve as more data gets recorded and incorporated into the software.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,824  
And below that Ars Technica article, another that some may find interesting. Some preliminary research suggests African populations all showed a huge drop in the population size that started around 930,000 years ago and persisted for over 100,000 years, apparently at a time of climate change, and only some 1300 individuals lived to pass DNA to subsequent generations.

These aren't finished studies, rather, some preliminary conclusions of what the data seems to suggest. Stay tuned ...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,825  

Since the availability of EVs are low for many buying a hybrid is more likely.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,826  
I see Smit is starting to unload cars from the Freemantle Highway RoRo in Amsterdam and some of them are having to be put in water tanks (the EV's), and then they catch back on fire again...I suspect that overseas transport of EV's is about to take a serious hit as far as how to ship and where.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,827  
To throw a little more technical knowledge into the discussion,

Power = (Force)(Velocity)

Drag Force due to air resistance is
F_D = 1/2(rho)(V^2)(C_D)(A)

where
rho is the fluid density,
V is the velocity,
C_D is the drag coefficient,
A is the projected frontal area

So, Power = 1/2(rho)(V^3)(C_D)(A)

Or, the power needed to overcome wind resistance is proportional to the velocity cubed.

If you double your speed, the power needed to overcome wind resistance will increase 2^3 = 8 times.

To triple your velocity, you need 8 times the power.

Note, this assumes C_D is constant with velocity, which is not a horrible assumption at normal road speeds, but it's not exactly true.
But then throw a kink in the works as how an ICE does not have linear specific-output efficiency. Sometimes ICE efficiency increases with RPM faster than wind drag at faster speeds. Just got through posting about this in another thread here. 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with OE 16" wheels. Best MPG at 67 MPH.

As another example, you know you get better MPG at 40 MPH than at 30 MPH. Most vehicles peak somewhere between 40-50 MPH, then MPG decreases with increasing MPH.

EV electric motors are mostly linear in efficiency. Can produce a given HP at most RPMs for about the same kW.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,828  
Might not be as bad as it looks.

Long ago NASA was paying top dollar for every PhD they could get who specialized in crack-ology. The study of crack formation and the effect on structural integrity.

The guys I talked to said, "All metals are cracked, most you can not see."

They were more Space Cadet than any rocket scientist I have met.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,829  
Good point but I just got through paying $77 for registration renewal on my truck that gets driven less than 5,000 miles a year. I certainly wouldn't want to pay more. I'm paying the (state and Fed) gas tax on top of that.
I paid a $200 EV fee to Alabama for my Tesla driven 6500 miles the previous year. Same as about 21,000 miles of gas tax at 25 or 30 MPG.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,830  
But then throw a kink in the works as how an ICE does not have linear specific-output efficiency. Sometimes ICE efficiency increases with RPM faster than wind drag at faster speeds. Just got through posting about this in another thread here. 2000 Toyota Avalon XLS with OE 16" wheels. Best MPG at 67 MPH.

As another example, you know you get better MPG at 40 MPH than at 30 MPH. Most vehicles peak somewhere between 40-50 MPH, then MPG decreases with increasing MPH.

EV electric motors are mostly linear in efficiency. Can produce a given HP at most RPMs for about the same kW.
Yes, you are correct, and it does complicate things. That's why I only referred to aerodynamic drag, as opposed to gas mileage. There are more variables than just aerodynamic drag that influence gas mileage.