Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,811  
While we're on the subject; Texas just enacted a new law taxing EVs. They can no longer get away with using the roads for free while the rest of us pay the tax on gas. Effective September 1st:
  • Electric Vehicle tax: Because electric vehicles do not pay tax on gas, SB 505 will require owners of these vehicles to pay a $400 registration fee and a yearly $200 renewal registration fee. Drivers of hybrids and gas-fueled vehicles pay a 20-cent tax per gallon, so they will not pay the new fees.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,812  

With winter coming (last two nights in the fifties and corn shelling season approaching) I really like this guy's hybrid videos.

While EVs are kinda stuck on a slow boat from China most people may drive a hybrid before an EV. They have been around for about 20 years so there are a lot of used hybrids.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,813  
While we're on the subject; Texas just enacted a new law taxing EVs. They can no longer get away with using the roads for free while the rest of us pay the tax on gas. Effective September 1st:
  • Electric Vehicle tax: Because electric vehicles do not pay tax on gas, SB 505 will require owners of these vehicles to pay a $400 registration fee and a yearly $200 renewal registration fee. Drivers of hybrids and gas-fueled vehicles pay a 20-cent tax per gallon, so they will not pay the new fees.
They should honestly just remove the gas tax altogether, and apply all road taxes to vehicle registration. It's the only way to level the playing field between, ICE, traditional hybrid, PHEV, BEV, propane, and hydrogen vehicles. Anything else creates a mess of regulations that no one will ever cleanly sort out... which might be the goal?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,814  
They should honestly just remove the gas tax altogether, and apply all road taxes to vehicle registration. It's the only way to level the playing field between, ICE, traditional hybrid, PHEV, BEV, propane, and hydrogen vehicles. Anything else creates a mess of regulations that no one will ever cleanly sort out... which might be the goal?
Good point but I just got through paying $77 for registration renewal on my truck that gets driven less than 5,000 miles a year. I certainly wouldn't want to pay more. I'm paying the (state and Fed) gas tax on top of that.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,815  
Good point but I just got through paying $77 for registration renewal on my truck that gets driven less than 5,000 miles a year. I certainly wouldn't want to pay more. I'm paying the gas tax on top of that.
Yeah, I also keep multiple vehicles and don't drive any one of them very many miles per year. To scale it similarly to the way the gas tax works now (pay per use), the amount charged on the registration could be linked to mileage accrued.

There's always a workable system... and then always a way for cheap scum bags to cheat the system. :D

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,816  
Some with limited highway would be supporting those with exclusive highway use…

We have a farm truck seldom more than 2 miles from the farm but already pays commercial registration fees and gas taxes…

The minimum auto registration is about $150… several of these have not been on the road since Covid.

The kicker is California chargers a fee not to operate your vehicle if you simply park it in your garage.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,817  
A couple of pages back there was a question about how do you cold-start the grid after a widespread outage.

Here's an explanation.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,818  
The kicker is California chargers a fee not to operate your vehicle if you simply park it in your garage.
I'd feel bad for you, if there weren't several other perfectly good states surrounding you. Sometimes you gotta vote with your feet, or a moving van!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,819  
True… I don’t see a lot of difference among California, Oregon and Washington…

The plan was Washington but less and less as my 6500 property tax in Washington is pushing 20k

At least in California property tax so far not able to go up like other states…

Time will tell… even the Mayor of SF and California Governor are now vocal on crime and cleaning up…

Everyday iconic businesses leave SF and also California…

Charles Schwab left this week…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #10,820  
I'd feel bad for you, if there weren't several other perfectly good states surrounding you. Sometimes you gotta vote with your feet, or a moving van!

Even in Idaho... the law is ANY vehicle must be registered.
Every year.
That includes non running "project" vehicles or non complete vehicles.
This now includes ones locked in a building that won't see the light of day for years to be fixed up.
This is a relatively new law.
Total bs Imo. Right now already paying the state enough for the
regularly "driven" rigs.
Guess i will test the law on a couple of rigs .
Pretty sure the Old YZ will have to be registered as well

Last edited: