Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,691  
Not economically viable but in 10 years I would say so.
And that is the problem for those who "work the numbers".

I have waited 10 years since I first looked at installing solar power and the numbers still to not make sense. I am now 73, so the reality is I will never install solar power. Waiting 20 years for payback does not make sense.

In those 10 years my cost for electricity has increased 45% but that is only $40/mo. Still very affordable.

But for people getting raped by power companies the number may work out. One size does not fit all.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,692  
Re: Driving on sunshine
Our home array is 20x375 watt panels, 4 years 3 months since online.
Grid-tied inverter, self-installed (retired electrician). 7.5kw.
This has generated about 9 mega-watt-hours per year, 750 kwh per month, 25 kwh per day. In the frozen tundra of central Minnesota.
After going online we had no electric bill (after subtracting billed months from credit months) for years.
House is 2600 sq feet, 200 Amp service.
As the "break-even" point approached we decided to add a plug-in-hybrid to replace one of our cars. With the intent of taking care of any 'overproduction' of our array.
Still came out ahead on electric bill net.
Last year we added an electric Chevy Bolt to replace our last 'all gas' car.
And we now have an electric outlay again.
I can say with certainty that $30 electric bill is cheaper than $80 gas bill a month. Whether we are well-to-do is open to furious debate at our house. (She maintains that I am the only thing getting cheaper nowadays)
To "drive on sunshine" I would have to be able use the standing charge of an EV battery to do vehicle-to-grid (V2G) and time of use billing to shift production. These type of cars and connections are being implemented in other parts of the world, I can only wait.
With a PHEV we are not limited for range, and with an EV we are way ahead on gas.
Kinda, sorta driving on sunshine.

regards,

R
What does your electric co. credit you for the electricity back into the grid?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,693  
Musk on climate of

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,694  
The cyber truck is looking like a big turd. I also see they are redesigning the wheels due to tire damage

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,695  
Our power company when I called the agent said they charge me retail 15.6c/kWh and if I had solar pay me wholesale 3c/kWh

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,696  
We get .06 credit. It doesn't seem viable at that rate.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,697  
About half for our electric coop. Our cost is $0.10/kWh plus Power Recover Cost (PRC). Some months the PRC may be as high as $0.01, some months it is credit, depend on what the wholesale price of electricity is to the coop.

1707061530480.png

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,698  
The cyber truck is looking like a big turd. I also see they are redesigning the wheels due to tire damage

Well for long distance towing I don't think EV pickups are There yet. Still think 200 KWH is a needed battery size, and batteries need to be lighter.

I can see the Tesla semi working for long haul with repeated routes.

The Cybertruck has a lot of new tech . I had questions when it was unveiled about the high sail panels and thought that it precludes fifth wheel / gooseneck use.
Hard ro reach over the bed to retrieve things. The cover blocks all of the rear view without cameras which is not a big deal once you "trust" cameras, and only cameras.

I don't think it is a failure as a sport truck that spends most of it's time local. Long distance towing like diesel 3/4 and 1 ton working trucks do, I don't think EV trucks are there yet.

I have no idea on reliability or cost of the new Ramcharger plug in hybrid truck but think it might be a hit.

One thing Ford, GM and RAM do understand and that is the HD realm of "how" a truck is really used as a day in day out hauling work truck. The Cybertruck is not a replacement for those my 2 cents.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,699  
About half for our electric coop. Our cost is $0.10/kWh plus Power Recover Cost (PRC). Some months the PRC may be as high as $0.01, some months it is credit, depend on what the wholesale price of electricity is to the coop.

View attachment 850313
We're in the 10 or 11¢ range per kilowatt so solar does not have Life-Changing appeal as the Model Y does. While we live in the middle of nowhere, we are the last house on a three-phase grid that splits and goes three different ways at the bottom of the hill below the house. The big ice storm nearly 15 years ago had us out of power for 65 hours and I had neighbors that were out 2 to 3 weeks on adjoining properties.