Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,711  
I've only had mine since December 2013.
Off topic, but we once had a Springer Spaniel that was a great dog - super friendy, but at one and a half years still had a lot of pup in her. I had a ffriend at work that had a Springer that I knew was a good hunting dog, I asked him how long before a Springer grows out of the pup stage. He said "I don't know, I've only had mine for eight years".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,712  
So, the manufactures can alter the laws of physics eh? hahahahahahahaha

Even defense vehicles have secondary systems in extreme cold temps. EVs have nothing.

Like the one poster mentioned, its best to have a hybrid instead. I would go this route if there were not many other options left.
You know not of what you speak.

Not all magnetic materials loose their magnetic fields at low temperatures.

My Tesla has a synchronous excited-field electric motor. Is all copper wires on a ferrite (soft iron) rotor. No permanent magnet in my motor. None of those pesky "rare earths" either, but that is an Inconvenient Truth.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,713  
Huh?? Who is altering physics? Heat the motors.

Do u know they do not have heaters?
I know my Tesla Model S most certainly does have a heater it will invoke to protect the battery. Will also cool the battery when parked in the sun.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,714  
8.5 years and my P.O.S. Tesla battery is down to 95% of its original capacity. Doom, gloom! Nothing you know about cellphone, laptop, or car starter batteries applies to an EV battery.

Why would I wait on a charging station? I can have 250 miles of range every morning when I leave home. 148 miles last weekend cost $4.95 to my electric bill. Took 30 seconds to charge: 15 seconds to plug in the night before, 15 seconds to unplug before I left.

As for "waiting for a charging station", Tesla has 1430 sites in the USA, most with 8 charging spots, many with 16, others with 32. 98 more are under active construction and 196 are known to have building permits but not yet started.
There are 145,000 fueling stations in the U.S.
127,000 are convenience stores.
It’s going to be quit a while until there are enough charging stations to be able to handle the hundreds of millions of EV vehicles that would be required to replace the current fleet of ICE vehicles.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,715  
Are there enough charging stations today, and in the near future? No. Does there have to be a 1 for 1 EV charging station for every gas pump? I don't think so. I'm guessing most EV charging takes place at home or at work. The home chargers are like having your own personal gas pump. I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think it is 1 for 1

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,716  
Are there enough charging stations today, and in the near future? No. Does there have to be a 1 for 1 EV charging station for every gas pump? I don't think so. I'm guessing most EV charging takes place at home or at work. The home chargers are like having your own personal gas pump. I don't know what the answer is, but I don't think it is 1 for 1
No, it’s not 1 for 1. However, if you’ve ever waited in line for a gas pump, imagine if each person ahead of you took 20 minutes each. 3 cars = an hour wait. So we might need more charging stations than we think.

Renters, people that only have on-street parking, people that have to park in garages or parking lots for their jobs will have to be accounted for.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,717  
There are 145,000 fueling stations in the U.S.
127,000 are convenience stores.
It’s going to be quit a while until there are enough charging stations to be able to handle the hundreds of millions of EV vehicles that would be required to replace the current fleet of ICE vehicles.

Almost no one can refuel gasoline at home so they have to have “gas stations”. You are mistaken in believing that just because you have always been at the mercy of gas stations that an EV must also depend on gas stations.

145,000 fueling stations! How many 120v AC outlets exist? Not the best thing to charge an EV but you are pretending if there isn’t a 150 kW DC fast charger then there isn’t anything.

Tesla has sold 1.9 million EVs since 2009. Most every one of those parks connected to a charging station every night. 145,000 is a pittance in comparison.

I almost never need or use a public charge site. About 2x/year 116 miles from home on a 260 mile day. Is sad because I have free lifetime-of-my-car use of Tesla Superchargers. I drive past a Supercharger most times I venture into town. Have never used that one no matter it is free to me. Why sit around when home electricity is only 10.5¢/kWh?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,718  
Depart from home every morning with a full tank (or as full as you choose). So why would I want a “gas station”? Electrify America (the beneficiary of VW fines) charges 3x to 4x the $/kWh as I can get at home while I sleep.

The only time I use a public charging station is when I drive 200+ miles in a day. My car can go 250 on a charge but why stress the battery at its limits?

I regularly drive 150 mile days on a single charge from home. Then the car is easily ready to do it again by morning.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,719  
Almost no one can refuel gasoline at home so they have to have “gas stations”. You are mistaken in believing that just because you have always been at the mercy of gas stations that an EV must also depend on gas stations.

145,000 fueling stations! How many 120v AC outlets exist? Not the best thing to charge an EV but you are pretending if there isn’t a 150 kW DC fast charger then there isn’t anything.

Tesla has sold 1.9 million EVs since 2009. Most every one of those parks connected to a charging station every night. 145,000 is a pittance in comparison.

I almost never need or use a public charge site. About 2x/year 116 miles from home on a 260 mile day. Is sad because I have free lifetime-of-my-car use of Tesla Superchargers. I drive past a Supercharger most times I venture into town. Have never used that one no matter it is free to me. Why sit around when home electricity is only 10.5¢/kWh?

See my post on people that use street parking or parking lots at home and/or work and/or shopping, recreational spots, etc.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,720  
No, it’s not 1 for 1. However, if you’ve ever waited in line for a gas pump, imagine if each person ahead of you took 20 minutes each. 3 cars = an hour wait. So we might need more charging stations than we think.....
Not exactly the same, but I have been in line in the gas station/convenience store, and the person ahead of me has taken 10 minutes plus, and then they take out their checkbook to pay :eek: