Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,721  
Not exactly the same, but I have been in line in the gas station/convenience store, and the person ahead of me has taken 10 minutes plus, and then they take out their checkbook to pay :eek:
What’s this checkbook you speak of?

:LOL:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,722  
After getting our EV in 2019 I learned my fear of lack of charging points was an emotional stability issue. :)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,723  
The impossible is possible but it just takes longer.

Every little bit helps.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,724  
Not exactly the same, but I have been in line in the gas station/convenience store, and the person ahead of me has taken 10 minutes plus, and then they take out their checkbook to pay :eek:
It's been years since I've been inside the building at a gas station.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,725  
See my post on people that use street parking or parking lots at home and/or work and/or shopping, recreational spots, etc.
By golly some people park on the streets! Nobody can have an EV because somebody would be deprived due to their life choice to do without amenities in order to live cheaper in an apartment or condominium!

Then again those who live in apartments who are forced to park on the street by and large do not own automobiles. Such an apartment charges extra rent for a parking space because there isn't as many parking spaces on the public street as apartments.

I remember when only rich luxury apartments had a washer and dryer. Public laundromats were created to meet the need. Same will happen if apartment dwellers start buying automobiles, and/or start buying EVs. A public access EVSE isn't much different from a coin-operated washing machine. Today most public L2 EVSEs are free because the demand is so low and the effort to add credit card processing is so high.

Local shopping malls have EVSEs in their parking lots to dip their toe in the market to gauge demand. All they had to do was run power and sink a pole to mount the EVSE. A 240VAC 40A circuit provides 32A at 100% duty cycle, 7.2 kW.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,726  
You might want to look into your assumptions on who drives cars and where they live.

About 33% of U.S. households live in rental housing, yet 91% of U.S. households have access to at least 1 car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,727  
Depart from home every morning with a full tank (or as full as you choose). So why would I want a “gas station”? Electrify America (the beneficiary of VW fines) charges 3x to 4x the $/kWh as I can get at home while I sleep.

The only time I use a public charging station is when I drive 200+ miles in a day. My car can go 250 on a charge but why stress the battery at its limits?

I regularly drive 150 mile days on a single charge from home. Then the car is easily ready to do it again by morning.
I get it, and I'm sure I'll be driving an EV someday. I do keep thinking of scenarios that an EV might be a problem though. My folks live quite a distance from me. What happens when a person arrives home on about 20% charge and the phone rings and its urgent. You can't just charge up and go like you can in a gas car. The hospital they use is about 100 miles from us. I know, what if... Not trying to hate on EVs, just contemplating different situations.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,728  
Don’t know if anyone posted this yet or not. But here it is just in case.

17 year old kid’s family buys a used 2014 Ford Focus Electric car for $11K.
Few months later, the car stops working.
Battery is shot and needs to be replaced.
Dealer says a new battery price is $14K!
Then they start looking for a battery.
Guess what? They no longer make a battery for that 8 year old car because it’s been discontinued.

As with all new technologies, there are growing pains, but that doesn’t take the suck out of it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,729  
Gee, I also have a 14 Focus Hatch back (bought off lease), but mine is an infernal combustion engine and while it has a battery (just replaced it), it was 70 bucks at Menards. 40 mpg. The dealer offered her 500 bucks for it. Par for the course. If I were to ever buy one it would have to be a hybrid, Gotta have the infernal combustion engine.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #1,730  
Gee, I also have a 14 Focus Hatch back (bought off lease), but mine is an infernal combustion engine and while it has a battery (just replaced it), it was 70 bucks at Menards. 40 mpg. The dealer offered her 500 bucks for it. Par for the course. If I were to ever buy one it would have to be a hybrid, Gotta have the infernal combustion engine.
My wife wants a plug-in hybrid. However, and I can’t remember which models she’s looked at, she didn’t like the way her right lower leg rested against the console. She said it felt cramped, and that if it felt cramped to her, I wouldn’t fit in it. She’s used to the Impala. Lot’s O room in that car. Suburban, too. ;)