Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,342  
I will check it out.

ps. If I was perusing used Teslas, I would definitely buy a 2020 or newer with the FSD package already included...
( as in purchased by the previous owner).
Uh, I suspect one can not do that. FSD is licensed software, not a feature of the car, and Tesla has not always allowed it's transfer to a new owner or even to your new Tesla.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,343  
You’re too biased to even bother questioning the same.

More importantly, where’s that data you were supposed to provide, supporting your fabricated 15% load maximum efficiency ICE engines?
I’m still waiting.
You posted my proof in charts you can not understand.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,344  
Several times a week now seeing Tesla Trucks on the road.

To me it has the look of an old futuristic sci-fi film.

They appear very wide and the last car I thought wide was the original Hummer.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,345  
I mentioned inductive charging many pages back. It would cost us a fortune, but start with interstates with solar panels along the way, then induction coils on main roads. EV would only need a small battery pack for secondary roads. Range would be basically unlimited and no plugging in. Usage cost could be built in to EV computer (mileage/GPS, etc). Not that hard to do or as efficient but batteries would last longer, EV would be lighter.
Just very expensive.
What is the point if one uses more energy, consumes more resources (ie: costs more) than the alternative?

Inductive roadways are the same sort of stupidity which makes sense only to politicians looking to spend vast sums of money "giving us things" to establish their legacy.

Hydrogen is another example.

EVs are another. EVs are going to happen but politicians are like the little kid running out in front of the marching band in a parade, waving his arms in the air, believing he is making the band play music.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,346  
Edit

Saw Oosik's post on the everything attachments thread today, he said gas is over $5.19 a gallon in eastern Washington.

This may not last, and Hope it doesn't , the majority , by far of my vehicles are gas and diesel, will be feeling the crunch as well.

With that said, the EV is saving money at the moment for every mile put on it versus the others.

Above crazy gas prices equates to getting 139 MPG using the MYP's Lifetime watt hour usage average and our .10-.116 KWH cost but figured @$.13 per KWH for losses between utility and what gets put into the battery
If I baby the accelerator and use the more recent 249 Watt Hour average and keep the normal looking tires, could be as much as 156 MPG equivalent.

Getting into the Pogue carb type of numbers,

but based solely on the local energy costs of electricity versus dino fuel.

Can't wait to take the boat out, but Not looking forward to the first time I have to fill that tank with 50 gallons of premium this year.

I would imagine the other EV owners are saving on fueling costs as well, Maybe only us PNW folks are getting really hammered on gas costs, but have my doubts.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,347  
Happened to notice the Housing category on craigslist.org now has an "EV Charging" filter.

Thumb in the eye of all of you claiming poor old decrepit renters will never get EV charging. It is happening just as I said. Those searching for housing are looking for EV charging, and Craigslist noticed.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,348  
Above crazy gas prices equates to getting 151 MPG using the MYP's Lifetime watt hour usage average and our .10-.116 KWH cost.

If I baby the accelerator and use the more recent 249 Watt Hour average and keep the normal looking tires, could be as much as 173 MPG equivalent.
Careful with the math. Your Tesla in-vehicle reports Wh from the battery, not from the grid.

You need something like TeslaFi.com or a power meter on your home EVSE to be able to calculate actual power use and cost.

EPA invented a silly MPGe for energy equivalence of ICE vs EV. Based on 33.7 kWh/gallon of gasoline. Your calculations are of what I consider more relevant, MPG$, MPG equivalent based on cost. I have stated many times I believe the $ cost of goods is the most accurate unit for comparing resource consumption. If it costs more then the resource was more precious and/or consumed more labor.

This is what I did:
972671B0-E24E-4C5E-B51B-EB2222338467_1_105_c.jpeg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,349  
Careful with the math. Your Tesla in-vehicle reports Wh from the battery, not from the grid.

You need something like TeslaFi.com or a power meter on your home EVSE to be able to calculate actual power use and cost.

EPA invented a silly MPGe for energy equivalence of ICE vs EV. Based on 33.7 kWh/gallon of gasoline. Your calculations are of what I consider more relevant, MPG$, MPG equivalent based on cost. I have stated many times I believe the $ cost of goods is the most accurate unit for comparing resource consumption. If it costs more then the resource was more precious and/or consumed more labor.

This is what I did:
View attachment 862270

Yep BUT I did fudge the numbers in the Tesla phone ap.
Our KWH charges are .10- .116 from the utility and All the calculations are done @.12 that was entered in the phone ap, so I built in a bit of safety margin on charger losses, battery heating, etc.

Maybe not enough. I should get an inline data unit eventually.

ps. bumped up the calc. cost to.13 per KWH and updated the MPG in above post.
That should be a ~17% for waste/losses.

Another update,

decided to check out the local ORV park (wanting to test out the old dirt bike) and did a 47 mile round trip with most of it state hiway @ 64 MPH and a bit of slow speeds -35MPH on the back roads.

local gas jumped again to $3.96 for regular 87 octane.

123 miles per gallon equivalent for todays trip.

Liking these new non rubber band tires and snow wheels.

Tesla could increase their range on the Model Y by going to 18" wheels and high efficiency tires.

Think the math is right since I am upping the KWH cost to make up for the lower KWH used as reported in the trips card..?

It does seem to be going over 4 miles for each KWH.
Also these tires are taller than the stock tires by a little bit, which should under report miles travelled slightly.
The math does seem hard to believe but expensive gas and cheap electricity changes things.

Attachments

• PXL_20240413_232808741.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240413_232808741.MP.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,350  
Not hard to find gas and diesel over $6 now at the major brand retailers.