Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,261  
Did @fatjay get NACS on his Fisker? An adapter? If not then CCS charging stations are fewer and farther apart than Superchargers. He will spend more time per mile of charging for having to wait for a deeper/fuller charge.

As usual @wawajake either can not or will not understand what was said. The fastest way for the Fisker to drive 500 miles in a day also requires stopping every 125-175 miles same as with a Tesla.

Those locked in the Gas Station Fallacy just can not understand how one would not fill to full every time one stops.
But I don't drive 500 miles. I drive 300 miles at most, here to pittsburgh, to see family. Or here to newark airport is 120 miles. Then vacation for 2 weeks, then back to the airport, another 120 miles home. Or the beach is 200 miles away, then I can sort charging out when I get there. The 360 mile range is max, but i don't foresee ever needing it. And if I do, I'll just take my wife's jaguar e-pace, or my ford excursion. There's room for both EV's and ICE's in this world.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,262  
I'm not against EVs. Just EV owners calling everyone else stupid. Which is really all this thread has devolved into. I have battery tools. Sometimes they are a good option, other times they don't fit the task at hand. Same with an EV... Which is why we are more heavily leaning toward a hybrid. Most days it will be on electric... Some it will use both gas and electric. If most daily commutes are within a hybrid battery range, I see the gas hybrid option as another tool in my belt to complete other tasks.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,263  
But I don't drive 500 miles. I drive 300 miles at most, here to pittsburgh, to see family. Or here to newark airport is 120 miles. Then vacation for 2 weeks, then back to the airport, another 120 miles home. Or the beach is 200 miles away, then I can sort charging out when I get there. The 360 mile range is max, but i don't foresee ever needing it. And if I do, I'll just take my wife's jaguar e-pace, or my ford excursion. There's room for both EV's and ICE's in this world.
Spend some time studying fast charging rates vs battery SOC. The lower the SOC the faster the charge. Last 25% charges very slow, so one doesn’t “fill up at the gas station” when in road trips.

Also consider battery wear vs SOC. The whole point of having a longer range battery is to have more range in the middle SOC range where wear is minimal. Which is also why one rarely charges to full.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,264  
You said stop every 125 miles. So, isn't that more stops? More time? More diversions? What don't I understand, truly.

A real answer would benefit all of us, more than snarky comments with no value.
More stops equals less time, believe it or not.

Sorry you can’t grasp how this could be, you are limited by your understanding of “gas stations.” And clearly not paying attention to that which doesn’t agree with your biases.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,265  
So if I stop every 125 miles... How long does it take to add 125 miles? 5 minutes? 10?

The only data I see is about 10-15 on a Supercharger. Plus diversion time for each stop.

We have had this conversation before. This exact same one.

I understand more stops equals less charging time for a number of given miles driven. I understand the charging rate varies. Topping off takes a very long time for few miles gained.

What you aren't understanding is that I'm comparing that to the time and diversions required by ICE. That's all. My comment, which you clearly didnt comprehend, was based on more diversions required and fewer miles gained per diversion for an EV vs ICE...

Do you not remember us having this very same discussion already? Almost word for word in fact.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,266  
Interesting commentary by an EV charging station installers view of Tesla supercharger team cuts.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,267  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,268  
I was just parking up at the church yard sale this morning when a guy in a red tesla suv pulls up and rolls down his window, and says "so you drive a fisker yeah?" I said yes, and he asks what made me decide on it. I said it was on sale for half off. He was shocked and asked where he could get that deal. I said it's right on the website. He said that was incredible, the car looks so good. I thanked him and he drove off. I think i may have made a former tesla owner.
That's good news and one reason I'm so glad you got the Ocean. It helps others to see there are more and more EV options showing up. I expect in 20 years 80% of all cars will be sold online like Tesla has been doing for the past 10 years.

It was 2019 when I saw my first EV in town. It was a white Nissan Leaf so I went looking only to learn no Nissan dealership in this part of KY or TN sold the Leaf. I found our 2016 Leaf SL online at a dealership 200 miles away in St. Louis, MO. It had every option available and was the new Nissan dark blue with 22K miles in mint condition except for the about to fail battery. I drove over to look at it in our F-150 pickup and made a deal for $13,500 and pulled it back to Kentucky and started this thread so Lithium Ion power tool thread didn't get junked up with EV post. Nissan lost their first mover advantage but wound up selling a lot of Teslas by default.

I have not seen it yet but apparently we have a Cybertruck owner in town now. According to Facebook it must be popular with the females the age of 25 to 45 because they are posting when they see it and where they saw it.

I expect the Cyber truck is going to help the sales of all brands of EVS because they're bringing EV awareness with something that you cannot miss. 🙂

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,269  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #18,270  
Some how we have to have two completely different metrics as what "Profitable" means. The Stock can do what it is doing and how that is leveraged, but what is the NET profit from making and selling a car? These seem to be completely different measures of evaluation for modern companies. So one has to ask, if they have read that Tesla had a a profit, or a loss, as to what measure the author of the article is using.