Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,601  
Just a thought, something that might be relevant to the above numbers. I think cars hold their resale value better now than they did in 1970. I bought a used 1971 Impala when it was 11 years old for about $500 in good condition with under 100k miles. It sold new for about $4500 so about 12% the original msrp. An 11 year old Impala with under 100k is about $10,000 now and the msrp for a 2011 Impala was $24,000 to $30,000 so about 40% of the original msrp. My evidence is obviously anecdotal.
Yes, I think cars last longer now too, compared to back then. 100,000 miles was something. Remember going for rides to watch the odometer turn over?

Many cars were done at 100K. Today, with proper maintenance, oil changes especially, I've seen a whole host of 200,000K+ vehicles for sale.

They don't rust out as fast either.

Still, the cost of a new car now is a bigger chunk of our paychecks than it used to be proportionally. So is most everything, though.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,602  
Mom's is GE year 1977.

I bought a good one and it stopped just after warranty...

Of course mom's was much more expensive in dollars and pre inflation.
1977!! Did it have a pull starter? :ROFLMAO:

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,603  
Yep. What is not being understood is that not all industry is the same. Where technology is new, prices almost always come down as the tech matures.

Just one example is the current work on Li-ion battery recycling. If that gets going to a point of scaled efficiency, that alone will bring the car cost down.
Fish finders are going up in price!

They have a heck of a lot more features now, but still, several grand for a really nice one.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,604  
I'm not a proponent of EVs but I think this story in the conservative rag "The Western Journal" is a load of crap. I consider myself conservative, especially when it comes to shrinking government but looking over the home page of TWJ makes me cringe.
I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, the headers at the top pretty much give it away pretty quick. Allsides gives it a hard right.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,605  
I have been watching the Lightning F150. LIghting can recharge up to 80% capacity in 41 minutes. would be a no brainer for me if the dealer markups wernt $20,000 and up.
The range is getting better each year. easily charge from anywhere.

but

The new Silverado is coming out next year. 400 mile range.
Here is where we are all going to see why EV vehicles are going to drop in price... competition
Less money than the Lightning.
Silverado EV gets to 80% charge in just over 30 minutes
4 wheel steering.
10,000lb payload towing with 20,000lb coming shortly
All dealer markups are prohibited period
sofar GM is throwing in a installed home charging system as well.

there are so many manufactures jumping in. they are all going to have to be better than the others. price included.

Batteries are constantly changing for the better. longer distances and less charging time.

How many tv car commercials now are all EV's . or hybrids...

Amazon going electric
Post office going electric
Fedex going electric

Interesting how many police are trying out the Mustang and Lightning. Are Camaros far behind?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,606  
for police usually patrols shifts are right after each other. Don't know when they will recharge unless they budget for 2X more vehicles and always have one charging.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,607  
for police usually patrols shifts are right after each other. Don't know when they will recharge unless they budget for 2X more vehicles and always have one charging.
I'm thinking if the LIghting can recharge up to 80% capacity in 41 minutes they will do it on a doughnut break.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,608  
All of our police have take-home cars here. Both city and county. That could be an issue.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,609  
We use to have that but pretty much limited to chief and assistant chief now…

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,610  
I'm not a proponent of EVs but I think this story in the conservative rag "The Western Journal" is a load of crap. I consider myself conservative, especially when it comes to shrinking government but looking over the home page of TWJ makes me cringe.
TWJ picked up the story from another source. But I don't pay for news articles.