Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,591  
Yep. What is not being understood is that not all industry is the same. Where technology is new, prices almost always come down as the tech matures.

Just one example is the current work on Li-ion battery recycling. If that gets going to a point of scaled efficiency, that alone will bring the car cost down.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,592  
Yep. What is not being understood is that not all industry is the same. Where technology is new, prices almost always come down as the tech matures.

Just one example is the current work on Li-ion battery recycling. If that gets going to a point of scaled efficiency, that alone will bring the car cost down.
I see your point. EVs don't consume lithium any more than a checker board consumes checkers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,593  

Nightmare: Man Tries Driving His EV Through Montana, Plugs in for 10 Hours and Only Gets 20% Charged​

“He was, in fact, driving a Hyundai, which does not have a reliable charging network in place. So, yes, driving a non-Tesla across the country can be a nightmare. Driving a Tesla across the country is simple.”

“So the Audi dealership fast charger that we’re at, the only fast charger in the entire town, [is] the most expensive one we’ve hit to date: $25 an hour.”

In the long run of this trip, it took 5-days to get out of Bozeman, MT. Sure EV charging is cheaper than gas. But the hotel night stays it took, but the extra meals it took, and the 5 lost days of your vacation time all eaten up.

And this is on a popular route going out west, the I-90. Right before hitting the Rocky mountains to tackle.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,594  
“Finding charging stations in Bozeman, MT has been challenging,” the man wrote in the caption for one of his videos.

Google maps:
IMG_2655.JPG

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,595  

Nightmare: Man Tries Driving His EV Through Montana, Plugs in for 10 Hours and Only Gets 20% Charged​

“He was, in fact, driving a Hyundai, which does not have a reliable charging network in place. So, yes, driving a non-Tesla across the country can be a nightmare. Driving a Tesla across the country is simple.”

“So the Audi dealership fast charger that we’re at, the only fast charger in the entire town, [is] the most expensive one we’ve hit to date: $25 an hour.”

In the long run of this trip, it took 5-days to get out of Bozeman, MT. Sure EV charging is cheaper than gas. But the hotel night stays it took, but the extra meals it took, and the 5 lost days of your vacation time all eaten up.

And this is on a popular route going out west, the I-90. Right before hitting the Rocky mountains to tackle.
I'm not a proponent of EVs but I think this story in the conservative rag "The Western Journal" is a load of crap. I consider myself conservative, especially when it comes to shrinking government but looking over the home page of TWJ makes me cringe.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,597  
Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,598  
I believe the Model T has a 10 gallon fuel tank and is reported to get 11-17 mpg.
So that’s a 110-170 mile range before you have to push it?
.... Henry Ford is such an idiot! ….gas cars will never work!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,599  
I believe the Model T has a 10 gallon fuel tank and is reported to get 11-17 mpg.
So that’s a 110-170 mile range before you have to push it?
.... Henry Ford is such an idiot! ….gas cars will never work!
But at that time the average horse could only go 35 miles so that was a substantial increase in range, unlike the EV which have a decreasing range.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #2,600  
Most T’s 10 gallon gravity fuel tank.

Depending on conditions and body style 13-21 mpg.

Of note the owners manual states Do not use open flame to check fuel tank level…

T’s came with a wood dip stick to check level…