Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,381  
Wish it were so. The supply chain is broken very bad. Replacement parts to keep the grid going are at an all time low. All we need is one badass ice storm in a heavy populated region and our lame surplus or lack or parts would be wiped out for over 2 years. We are in that bad of shape presently.
And now there's a new element to consider, urban terrorists have trashed electrical distribution systems in the East and then last night in Washington State. I doubt there were parts in reserve, anticipating that.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,382  
As for those McMansions that are chilly, I'll bet they all have 2.5 story high open vault ceilings and plenty of glass in the entry lobby or living room. WTH did they expect?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,383  
As for those McMansions that are chilly, I'll bet they all have 2.5 story high open vault ceilings and plenty of glass in the entry lobby or living room. WTH did they expect?
They skimped on the windows. There is a company in Hot Springs, Arkansas (Windows USA) that makes some pretty bad a$$ windows.

Both their mid grade and high-end windows will not transfer heat or cold through the glass or frames. The lifetime warranty on the windows is tough to beat as well.

Dude set the window in an A frame on my dining room table, gave me his IR temp gun when he was doing his sales pitch. He then demonstrated with nitrogen and a plumbers torch to prove it.

I was also partial to the ballistics rating too. Warranty covered any breakage what so ever. I had just replaced a window pane on the sunporch after putting a rock through it with the mower.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,384  
Wood cutting costs should always be added to the equation. I've never saw free wood. 🙂

This is from a post on the Arborist Site. I surprised they didn't also take out the rear window on the truck.

Ever had a day where you had good intentions, but the whole thing just went to heck in a hand basket anyway? Well, after a days’ work at our “other” job, there was still plenty of daylight left…so why not pack up and go get some more wood? Only thing is, too late for the help…it was going to be just me and Mrs. Bounty Hunter. Undaunted, we loaded up the big wood trailer and hitched it to the ’77 1-ton Chevy utility truck, and the splitter to Mrs. Bounty Hunter’s ’79 Chevy 4 x 4 shortbed.
Up we went to the Los Padres Forest, with 4 saws bouncing around in the trailer: ms220T, for limb’in and trim’in, ms260 Pro for small to medium wood, ms044 for medium to large, and ms660MAG for large to “darn that’s really BIG!”
The fire roads through the forest are rough and sometimes steep, but decent. Near the top of the pass we see a group of downed trees that looked good…except I had already passed them with the lead truck, and on a fairly steep downhill grade. “I’ll just back up” I said (First mistake…unless you count going out that afternoon, in general).
I was watching the trailer back up, and didn’t realize how close the truck itself was to the embankment…a vertical ledge of dirt and rock about 2 feet high. I steered the trailer away from the embankment, and the right rear tire of the truck went right into the ledge (mistake number two).
I was greeted by a load Whoosh and HISSING…A tire losing air FAST! and plenty of shouting by Mrs. Bounty Hunter.
Flat tire…Ah nuts…and this beast wears 36” x 15.5” x 16.5” tires…no room for a spare with the utility body (mistake number three).
But the Bounty Hunter has a backup plan, right? I have tire tools and a tube, plus an on-board compressor…”we will fix this right away!” I say, as I dig out the recycled ammo boxes that store the tools and tube. Guess what…the tube is gone…it’s not in the ammo box labeled “tube” (mistake number four).
“Remember the trip to the Kern river? Didn’t the Kimberly take a tube?” Oh great…now we’re in a fix. “Let’s get the trucks down somewhere level, and see what we can do” I say, while attempting to seem totally confident (while thinking: we’re screwed…)
I look at the tire…the valve stems broken off! “We Have spares!” I happily exclaim, and break out the tools. I exchange the stem, but the big tire is now totally pulled away from the bead of the rim, and needs to be inflated. I try all the tricks…ratcheting tie-downs around the tire, both of us pulling and pushing, but that heavy 10-ply just won’t mount with the wimpy compressor (mistakes five, six and seven).
“Okay…this isn’t working. We gotta take the tire down to the Flying J truck stop…the mechanics there can mount it”
So, we load up the tire and wheel in the ’79…but I don’t want to leave the saws, the trailer, and certainly not the splitter. There’s no one up on these mountains, but who knows? Solution? We loaded the splitter in the trailer with the saws and the rest of the gear, and took off down the mountain.
An hour later, at the Flying J, the mechanic said “Having a bad day? Well it’s about to get worse”.
“There’s a big cut in the sidewall of the tire…it can’t be patched” (mistake number eight, sort of. This actually fits better in the “We’re screwed” part of mistake number four).
Now its 8:00 at night…there’s nothing open…no where to get a replacement tire, especially one that size. “How are we going to get that stupid truck off the mountain?” I snarl, I thought for sure there was a spare tire and wheel at the ranch… (Mistake number nine).
Plus, no one we know has a 1-ton we could swap a wheel, even temporarily, to get the truck back.
Then, like the proverbial light bulb, an idea comes to me…”I know where there’s a wreaked truck off the road…been there for months…I think it’s a one-ton!”
Off we speed, and sure enough, one tire on the wreak is seemingly okay…at least it had some air, which was better that what we had. I get it off, and speed back up the mountain.
The bottle jack is too short to jack up the truck (ten mistakes!!????).
We still had the saws, so I fire up the 200T and cut an 8” round about a foot long to act as a jackstand to support the truck while the jack is reset.
Then realize we can’t put the “loaner” spare in the back axel…it’s got a Detroit Locker differential and different size tires would be a PROBLEM (mistake number…Shoot! Darn! I'm not counting these mistakes no more!)
So it’s like “Musical Chairs” switching wheels around to wind up with the spare in the front.
Air it up, and off we go. Down the mountain, it’s now almost midnight.
The next day, it was INSULT to INJURY…our son walks by the trucks, sees the single 8” round lying there, where I tossed it in after finishing with it as a jackstand, and says “You guys went out for wood and that’s all you got?”

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,385  
Wood cutting costs should always be added to the equation. I've never saw free wood. 🙂
Its dead wood from my property. i either cut it for fire wood, or haul it off property. Either way, it has to go. I figure i either pay for gym membership or split wood. I give it a wash.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,388  
Kinda like calculating how much venison costs per pound :) Not saying it's not worth it though.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,389  
More supporting evidence. It's amazing no one is working to compete against Tesla but letting Tesla just pull further and further ahead.

Gale, have you purchased a bunch of Tesla stock yet? It's got to be getting close to a bottom doesn't it?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #4,390  
Gale, have you purchased a bunch of Tesla stock yet? It's got to be getting close to a bottom doesn't it?
I don't own any stock.

If I had an account and liquidity I think it should be a low risk high potential but 2022 has show.n foreign investments can do south fast.

Even if it drops another 50% to $75 a share some day it will recoil and head for Mars. Ford and GM don't seem to have skills and capital requirements.. Toyota is not even in the EV game.

This week Musk said 2023 and part of 2024 could be similar to the 2009 business conditions.

LEAPS might be worth looking into as a investment play.

There some holding a boat load of stock that cost them $3 a share. Others have bought on margin and lost the roof over their kid's head and more. Shaking out the fan boys may me helpful at some point. China has to drop fossil fuel use ASAP to keep from killing the few kids that are being born.

In the USA we don't plan to even maintain current refining capacitor so ICE usage can only decline.

We in the USA have to act now or give the automobile industry to China forever. The past three years have been a wakeup call to the automobile industry and many others.

If we lose the manufacturing and space race we have destroyed our kids life I expect. I expect most who plan to be around in 2043 see we are at a major cross road today.

Tesla sitting on $21 billion in cash is a plus. Timing is hard to get right. To prove that point I would have bought Tesla long before now if liquidity was available. :)

Last edited: