Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,201  
I would have liked a Y with the 4680 structural battery pack but the current 4680 pack size has 50 miles less range. After they are fully debugged and have a good track record of usage in the Tesla semi next I may go that route unless they have become dated technology.

It is good to know that they could use the lower performing 4680 cells in power walls.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,202  
Our Model Y seems like magic to me.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,204  
What I wonder about is.. How long will all those electrical connections last in an EV in the salt in the winter. If Florida is any indication, not long. One thing I always do is, I pack all my electrical connections with conductive grease. Tractors included. A Molex connector is only as good as the seal.
My eldest Son is a professional mechanic. He enlightened me concerning Dielectric Grease. I use it commonly.

I was replacing electric brake assemblies on my trailer a month or so ago. I butt connect the wires by soldering the two intertwined ends. I slip a piece of heat shrink protector over one wire, solder, liberally coat the soldered area with Dielectric Grease, slide the shrink tube over the splice and warm it up. He said you can buy crimp connectors that have the grease inside them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,205  
No they don’t, at least people who know how to manage money don’t.
You compare size, features and options.
Dennis, we are the exception not the norm..... ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,206  
Our Model Y seems like magic to me.

Hadn't seen that speech before.

Really Good.

Hope some graduates took it to heart. These young people are going to help shape our future.

Neat to see Elon is an Arthur C Clarke Fan. (y)

Clarke wrote the original technical paper in the 1940's that allowed for near world wide coverage using just 3 satellites in 22 k mile geosynchronous orbit.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,207  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,208  
I have great admiration and respect for Elon Musk. I believe in the things he's doing. The speech Gale posted confirms my thoughts that things like PayPal, Tesla, etc., are just pathways to much deeper goals. His speech clarifies that in my mind. Elon Musk doesn't think for a second that Tesla is the answer. Tesla is simply an equation. A simple part of the equation that results in the answer.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,209  
Seems like just another toaster to me...:rolleyes:
Yes, I expect it is somewhat like riding on a magic carpet because of all the amazing things it does that I thought was impossible for a car 3 years ago. Really looking forward to mastering the use of the full self-driving technology.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #6,210  
Yes, I expect it is somewhat like riding on a magic carpet because of all the amazing things it does that I thought was impossible for a car 3 years ago. Really looking forward to mastering the use of the full self-driving technology.
It is a gigantic leap of faith. I'm ultra conservative and a bit of a control freak. I would struggle immensely. I am critical of things. Wife's car has auto dim headlights, I despise them. Auto wipers, I despise them. After driving it occasionally over the past 6-7 years I am getting somewhat comfortable with the backup camera but I'm still rubber necking all around me. :oops: