Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,651  
Talks about driving assistance technology rules in Europe including FSD.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,652  
I don't use icons on the 15" display when driving because I can't reach them. I use the right hand scroll on the steering wheel and use voice commands. My son is good with technology and understands my needs hence his demand I order the Model Y so he can get me up to speed before he moves 500 miles away.

OK sooo does the system allow for manual setting "voice command" like medium speed

Can you say wipers on medium speed and when the rain stops say wipers off?
Things got busy and I still have a LOT of the owners manual to read and finish.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,653  
So if you get mud on you cameras the wipers will smear it all over the windshield? Sound like fun thing for the squeegee guys on street corners in some cities.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,654  
OK sooo does the system allow for manual setting "voice command" like medium speed

Can you say wipers on medium speed and when the rain stops say wipers off?
Things got busy and I still have a LOT of the owners manual to read and finish.
Yes more or less.

I'm glad you're car is about ready. You're going to have fun and just experiment with stuff

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,655  
In a pinch, push the button on left stalk for a single windshield wiper cycle, also automatically pops the windshield wiper settings up on screen so no menus to find how to manually adjust.

The only required time for the wipers to be in auto mode is while in autopilot. If she is driving, she gets to pick the wiper setting. Seems fair.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,656  
Yes more or less.

I'm glad you're car is about ready. You're going to have fun and just experiment with stuff

Thanks Gale,

I got motivated and procured the Insurance and Certified funds for the purchase.

Edit: removed comments concerning statements made about Tesla by a teller.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,657  
The auto headlights are a trip. When you start the car in the dark, facing a wall, you can see them come on, then it looks like a Hollywood special effects show. They spread out, come back to center, spread out again, then focus in the center again, dimming and brightening as they adjust. I had no idea they do that. I just thought they switched between low and high beams. They actually move the light beams in and out and up and down. Very trippy.
They are probablyuusing a single HID bulb on each side and moving it to change where it hits the reflector and adjust where it is focused.

Found out something last night about wife's Subaru. When you put it in reverse, the right rearview mirror automatically tilts down so you can see the lower corner of the car. Put it in drive, and it goes back to side view.
That should be an option on your 2003 Suburban as well (or at least it was an option on the higher trim models).

Aaron Z

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,658  
Found out something last night about wife's Subaru. When you put it in reverse, the right rearview mirror automatically tilts down so you can see the lower corner of the car. Put it in drive, and it goes back to side view.
Subaru question: what's the oldest/cheapest Subaru with the modern driver assist features and limited slip (or the similar-effect selective braking)?

It's about time to think about replacing my elderly '99 Outback. I need something suitable for offroad camping. This antique runs and looks great but I just got an estimate of $2k to replace the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc recommended service for everything inside the timing cover. - Uh no. (It's more than a decade beyond the recommended mainternance interval, we're at the drive it till the wheels fall off stage, now). Plus while 'all' these DOHC 2.5L's needed the head gaskets replaced, mine are original. This can't go on forever. Time to think of what will replace it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,659  
Subaru question: what's the oldest/cheapest Subaru with the modern driver assist features and limited slip (or the similar-effect selective braking)?

It's about time to think about replacing my elderly '99 Outback. I need something suitable for offroad camping. This antique runs and looks great but I just got an estimate of $2k to replace the timing belt, tensioners, water pump, etc recommended service for everything inside the timing cover. - Uh no. (It's more than a decade beyond the recommended mainternance interval, we're at the drive it till the wheels fall off stage, now). Plus while 'all' these DOHC 2.5L's needed the head gaskets replaced, mine are original. This can't go on forever. Time to think of what will replace it.
I do not know the answer to your question. I am new to the following. I do know our 2020 has X-mode.

Here's a link to an explanation, and there are a bunch of youtube videos that show it in action.

Perhaps I'll start a new thread on Subarus so as not to distract from the EV thread.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #7,660  
I do not know the answer to your question. I am new to the following. I do know our 2020 has X-mode.

Here's a link to an explanation, and there are a bunch of youtube videos that show it in action.

Perhaps I'll start a new thread on Subarus so as not to distract from the EV thread.
Just post here. Thanks for the link.