Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,651  
"SpaceX's Starship rocket exploded above the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday, minutes after lifting off from a launchpad in South Texas. The spacecraft failed to reach orbit, but it was not a fatal failure."

That was an impressive first attempt.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,652  
That was an impressive first attempt.
But you have to think the first manned crew would have liked to see it reach orbit...more delays...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,655  
Breakdown of Tesla's Q1 results by an analyst that I find trustworthy.

Almost like Tesla/ Musk has adopted the "Columbia Record Club" tactic. Give you a free stereo- in this case discounted low mark up EV ( which is still generating almost 20% profit) and then later sell the FSD subscription for those that want it for more profit
It also mimics what Henry Ford originally did with the model T he eventually reduced the price to where his employees could afford the cars as well and also took sales from other car builders through Vertical integration and through put optimization of the production line.

I really think that FSD will be Good Enough and in
use by 2027 and operating at a significantly safer rate than humans.

There I said it, The rate of learning and improvement is accelerating. IMO Tesla will get there.

emoji848.png
How come there are no electric 3 second Top Fuel dragsters?

emoji848.png

Not yet, and a Lofty Goal for sure, but my guess is there will be some Very quick E dragsters eventually.

Wonder how big a 5-6000 HP electric motor needs to be? But what's the fun of not getting some Nitro fumes in eyes and the smell, or getting shaken out of your grandstand seat when they Go thundering by.
It Just won't be the same, and by same I mean electric dragsters will be boring in two vital senses plus No more Blowers shooting for the sky when they have a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.
He said the odds of success was 50/50. Do you know if it melted the pad? I am glad to hear it was successful getting off the ground over water before the failure.

I posted a screen shot of the under launch mount I found. It sure looks like it not only spalled the concrete The launch removed it Entirely, and also excavated the ground underneath the concrete.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,657  
Man, Tesla is taking a 10% haircut today.
But you have to think the first manned crew would have liked to see it reach orbit...more delays...

How long has it taken Boeing using Existing technology with SLS... NOT YET... and this has been funded since 2011.

If it weren't for SpaceX we would be paying Russia way more money per flight to get OUR astronauts to the space station,
That is, assuming they continue to let us fly on their rockets.

SpaceX could have launched earlier on this first full stack but without a launch approval their hands were tied. SpaceX already has a few Starships in line for more testing and will integrate improvements with what they learn today.

I do hope they get the water cooled metal flame diverter system installed before the next launch attempt. Concrete damaged earlier launch attempts and it would not be surprising if some damage was done to the rocket before it was released from the launch mount.

Since the ships are called Starships As Captain Kirk once said.
" We Learn by Doing" How many of us have learned more from an occasional failure than they would from only experiencing success?

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,658  
How long has it taken Boeing using Existing technology with SLS... NOT YET... and this has been funded since 2011.

If it weren't for SpaceX we would be paying Russia way more money per flight to get OUR astronauts to the space station,
The haircut started before the rocket blew up. I don't think it's related. Tesla just reported earnings after yesterday's close.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,659  

I'm a huge fan of SpaceX.... I was only making light of the fact that everyone was calling it a great success (which in ways it was)...
But just think how much farther along they would be if the second stage would have separated as planned...

sure they now have lots of data to figure out what went wrong and fix it...they just could have been that much farther along...

If you don't make mistakes...you don't learn anything...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #8,660  
How come there are no electric 3 second Top Fuel dragsters?
And that's relevant to your prior point because... ?

Weren't you just complaining that people shouldn't want quick EV's? Can we at least get a straight line on your issue, here?