Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,621  
Been thinking of trying electric since the battery threads started on TBN.

Even swore I would buy a Volt on the earlier threads...

With my recent mistake of breaking my Femur and knowing how hard it will be to drive my 1 ton Manual shift diesel RAM a decision needed to be made to source an easier to get in and out of vehicle.
I have never owned a new vehicle but owned close to 100 used ones.

Tesla just dropped the Model Y
5 seat long range Dual Motor (AWD) to about $53 k and it also qualifies for the $ 7500 tax credit. If ordered and delivered by March.

Well maybe it is a pain killer drug induced purchase ... but I ordered a NEW Model Y dual motor long range this morning. :D

ps They can have the keys to my 455 4 speed Trans Am when they are pried from my cold dead fingers.
Congratulations. Have you picked a color yet?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,622  
We have found the best way to keep them away is just tell them your are Jewish which isn't a lie as my wife is. Once they find that out, you go on the 'no fly no visit' list forever. '
My wife tells them she's a witch and do they want to hear about Wicca. My farmer neighbor had a rake in his hand telling them he had to rotate his crops

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,623  
My wife tells them she's a witch and do they want to hear about Wicca. My farmer neighbor had a rake in his hand telling them he had to rotate his crops
My sister keeps a basket of Catholic literature right next to her front door and trades them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,624  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,625  
Just organize and get it done. Same thing at my cabin. There are about 10 property owners that got together and got it done. I paid for the new bridge decks and they got it installed. I went up one day to drop off the bridge decks. Luckily we had two engineers that did the hard work of doing the numbers and shoring up the bottom side. Some guys did the due diligence with the National Forrest for the Bridge. It took everyone, but the new bridge is nice.
Because of the designation (Scenic Mountain River)...the NFS has tighter restrictions (wider red tape)...
There are only three property owners (one still has some acreage to sell)...and actually they like it the way it is...
A bridge in this situation would be at least three or four times that wide...and would have to be designed for high water...the river typically rises 5' to 8' during extreme rains...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,626  
Here's the Reuter article, the incident happened over 6 years ago...

Edit, looking at the video in my link from Reuters they show a Tesla stopping and causing an accident in 2022. Driver reported it was in self driving mode. Take it for what it's worth I guess.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,627  
Because of the designation (Scenic Mountain River)...the NFS has tighter restrictions (wider red tape)...
There are only three property owners (one still has some acreage to sell)...and actually they like it the way it is...
A bridge in this situation would be at least three or four times that wide...and would have to be designed for high water...the river typically rises 5' to 8' during extreme rains...

Quite the designation...I wonder what makes a river a non scenic mountain river?

This is the snow pack through Christmas. The cabin will be mostly buried by the end of the season. This river is the head waters for a major tributary of the Colorado River. The bridge is designed to be under water during the melt as the river can rise by 30-40 feet. All bridges are designed to be submerged here. I usually go in right after the river goes down enough that the bridge becomes exposed again...

Cabin snow.jpg

High Water.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,628  
The terrain here is steep...mountains on both sides of the river...if a bridge did not clear (span) high water...it would only take a short time before logs etc. would start piling up against it and cause serious problems...

I think the designation is for tourism...and how they are described (several falls)...there are public campgrounds and this is one of the few rivers that are open year round for fishing...

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,629  
We have rivers here with the same designation. I’m not sure what the difference is, but people sure get excited about them.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #5,630  
In today's headlines....we'd better get those electric 18-wheelers perfected and on the roads pretty fast or California will be isolated.

Personally, I wish there were a strong truckers union that would tell its members to refuse to drive in California at all.