Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,511  
Indy 500 What a crazy race this year...

Newgarden wins 1st time ever. 12th try
Chevy beats Honda as well.
Penske team shows its metal.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#9,512  
That I know of 17.2kW is the fastest L2 rate of any current production EV, the Model X and Model S.

I saw mention of an EV friendly PV inverter that I thought had an integrated J1772 EVSE. This makes a lot of sense because J1772 allows the current draw to be varied after charging has started. Tesla uses this feature when sharing a circuit with multiple Wall Connectors. When another vehicle connects the Wall Connectors discus it among themselves and reapportion the circuit current. A PV integrated EVSE could set the current depending on instantaneous sunlight intensity.

$10k in PV parts will get you a 5kW to 7kW grid tie system. Another $8k to $10k bribe to a "system designer" for the paperwork to connect to power grid.

Tesla's Solar City appears to install 10kW grid tie systems for flat rate $26k. First 13kWh Powerwall is $10-12k, extra Powerwalls are $8k each. The Powerwall will keep the grid tie system running when grid power is off. Will keep your house running. Sort of wasteful to charge an EV off a Powerwall but my sister says it will do it if you demand. The best thing to do is charge the EV directly when the sun is shining.

The Powerwall serves as backup power, but also serves for power time shifting. Regressive states such as California pretty much have "parity pricing" for grid tie. That is a pretty word for "rob the utility by denying they have expenses delivering power." You put a kWh in, they pay you full retail price. You take a kWh out, you pay full retail price. The grid becomes a free battery for your use. In the real world we get paid 1/10th to 1/5th for kWh generated vs kWh consumed. Store that power in a Powerwall rather than sell it to the utility. Then use it that night. Tesla's Energy Gateway will manage it for you.

I'd really like to have a Solar City Powerwall PV system but my current home and the one I am building are not served by a blessed solar contractor.

A few thoughts. EV batteries are 60-100kwh in many cases. The Power wall will give you a pittance of a charge. Second, charge when the Sun is shining is a challenge for anyone that is away from home all day (work, etc). Once it hits 5pm ish there is little solar gain left.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2
#9,513  
Well so far the current battery tech is working great for what I am using the EV for.

Same goes for the diesels and gas powered ones.

No doubt there are use cases out there where an EV is still superior to ICE vehicles. Unfortunately there are more uses cases where they arent. As I have stated before, everything about an EV is superior to ICE vehicles except the power source. Once we get that figured out there really is no reason to buy an ICE Vehicle.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,514  
No doubt there are use cases out there where an EV is still superior to ICE vehicles. Unfortunately there are more uses cases where they arent. As I have stated before, everything about an EV is superior to ICE vehicles except the power source. Once we get that figured out there really is no reason to buy an ICE Vehicle.

I agree on trucks. Especially if Towing.

The weight and power density of the LI battery needed to work for a 1/2 ton- let alone a 1 ton truck over distance towing does Not make much sense to me yet.

Cyber truck and especially the semi "may" change my mind. Not really enough actual vetted use data has been released yet to prove the viability.

My opinion has always been GM should have built an upsized extended range Volt drivetrain for truck use First.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,515  
A few thoughts. EV batteries are 60-100kwh in many cases. The Power wall will give you a pittance of a charge. Second, charge when the Sun is shining is a challenge for anyone that is away from home all day (work, etc). Once it hits 5pm ish there is little solar gain left.
Depends on the season and location. We were out doing yard work until 9:35 last night. It was bright sunlight well past 7:00pm. If you had tracking panels, you'd still be making power.

I was kinda surprised that the newer solar farms around here run the panels north and south instead of east and west like they used to. They are tracking, so they follow the sun as it travels east to west and rotate on their north-south oriented mounts. They reset to the east overnight. I'm guessing there's more of a gain this way VS just facing them straight south and only adjusting for declination of the sun. These appear to be single axis tracking. Not double axis tracking. I'd like to look into it more.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,517  
Just the ticket to wind up in a body bag in a collision. Reminds me of a cab over big truck, the driver will be first on the scene of a wreck and probably get snuffed too.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,518  
Just the ticket to wind up in a body bag in a collision. Reminds me of a cab over big truck, the driver will be first on the scene of a wreck and probably get snuffed too.
Locally this style truck is in demand by farmers as used imports. Being 4WD and having an enclosed cab yet cheaper than a side by side is a huge attraction to rural applications.

These EV versions would work well inside large factories too.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,519  
Locally this style truck is in demand by farmers as used imports. Being 4WD and having an enclosed cab yet cheaper than a side by side is a huge attraction to rural applications.

These EV versions would work well inside large factories too.
Maybe but maybe not. Most factory settings have limited room between machines and most large factories provide pedal power with baskets for employees.

Farmers around here use either side by sides (I do) or imported mini trucks that I bet are light years cheaper than those things are. Besides, most all farmers I know and very against any form of EV in the first place.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,520  
This Chinese "truck" is $2,000 brand new! Actually incredible for the money and handy...all except for delivery price. Amazing it even has AC!