Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,792  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,793  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,794  
I think I'm counting 12 Tesla Charging stations at the Buc-ee's in Bastrop TX close to the Tesla manufacturing plant in Austin. In comparison this Buc-ee's has 50 gasoline pumps. No shade for Tesla customers, Temp 100˚F, I hope the battery charges faster than the AC discharges it. (Saturday afternoon in July). I wonder how long the Tesla customers will have to walk around bored in the store?
IMG_1928.JPG

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,795  
I think I'm counting 12 Tesla Charging stations at the Buc-ee's in Bastrop TX close to the Tesla manufacturing plant in Austin. In comparison this Buc-ee's has 50 gasoline pumps. No shade for Tesla customers, Temp 100˚F, I hope the battery charges faster than the AC discharges it. (Saturday afternoon in July). I wonder how long the Tesla customers will have to walk around bored in the store?
View attachment 810088

Uh, ya.

AC is running while it is being charged if they are in the car (or if they have it on from app, which is what I would do) AC has pretty low consumption.

Probably no more than 15 minutes unless they are trying to top off for some reason.

Could just be watching Netflix in the car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,796  
That IS one of the best newer Tesla features, a heat pump/ AC system that is exceptionally efficient.
Heating in winter does use more power... but summer cooling is Very efficient.

Just tried the lower cabin temp limit today while shopping, even using just that is a vast improvement over our other vehicles.
On really hot days It is easy while waiting in the checkout line to use the smart phone and tell the car to set interior temp at 65 degrees. This is one area where Tesla is ahead of most other vehicle manufacturers in hot climates. It beats carrying 2 sets of keys if say bringing the dog along in an ICE vehicle leaving it idle with AC on and e-brake applied while hoping the dog doesn't jump on the shifter stalk knocking the rig into gear with a running engine even if it doesn't move.
Traffic has been Crazy locally with all of the summer visitors. It sure is nice to have the power and traction to merge quickly without other drivers having to slow at all.

I get that many people Love their ICE vehicles- I have some as well, but There Are Days where the Model Y is perfect for a trip to town on a HOT day and I won't end up with sweat soaked clothes because the Tesla will keep you cool every second if that is what you want.

Oh and if the passenger likes it a bit warmer no problem they also can control their climate area separately as well.

Since Tesla has a full browser available- plenty of internet Youtube or even a high fidelity Concert while viewing in high definition can be enjoyed while charging.

ps. wish I was doing that today...

Instead cleaning the horse manure / old hay out of the barn with tractor and backhoe and getting ready to go get this years hay...

- Actually It is a great day running the tractor/ FEL and even using the backhoe.

Life Is Good

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,797  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,798  
Uh, ya.

AC is running while it is being charged if they are in the car (or if they have it on from app, which is what I would do) AC has pretty low consumption.

Probably no more than 15 minutes unless they are trying to top off for some reason.

Could just be watching Netflix in the car.
15 minutes is do-able, would it add a hundred miles to get to the next Buc-ee's? I was in and out in less than 5 minutes so I did not see how long they charged up.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,799  
I think I'm counting 12 Tesla Charging stations at the Buc-ee's in Bastrop TX close to the Tesla manufacturing plant in Austin.
Yes, (12) 250kW Supercharger bays.
In comparison this Buc-ee's has 50 gasoline pumps.
What! The Buc-ee's in Alabama have 120 pump stations. Many have diesel and E10, others have E10 and E0.
No shade for Tesla customers, Temp 100˚F, I hope the battery charges faster than the AC discharges it.
You ask that seriously about a 250kW Supercharger? That is the equivalent of 1000A @ 240VAC service to your home.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #9,800  
15 minutes is do-able, would it add a hundred miles to get to the next Buc-ee's? I was in and out in less than 5 minutes so I did not see how long they charged up.
Depends on the Tesla and the battery SOC.

If you arrive with 200 miles of range and want to charge to 300 then 15 minutes will not be enough. If you arrive 40 miles and want to charge to 140 in a Model 3/Y Long Range then perhaps 10 minutes even with air conditioner running.

In fact the car will probably be running the air conditioning, pumps, and fans the driver never heard before to cool the battery during charge.