Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,591  
Cybertruck Delivery Event with commentary by Tesla Motor Club
group

Against an F 350 diesel, pulling a 40,000lb sled, it beat the F350 it by over 50 feet. Also will fit a 4x8 sheet. Can get 17 inches of ground clearance, Locking axles, torque vectoring. Drag raced a Porsche 911 and beat it in the quarter while towing another 911 on a trailer somewhat bait and switch since those tests seem to be the more expensive Cyberbeast which is not available yet.

The 2 motor is what is being delivered now, which is 80K and quite a bit slower.

CT is impressive without a doubt. It will be interesting how long the 2 million back log takes to get addressed.

Look forward to hearing from Sandy when his NDA expires at midnight.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,592  
They face many challenges getting a stainless steel unibody truck to market.

The bulk of the truck market is not interested in diesel performance enough to pay $80k+. And when used as a deisel, hauling heavy loads, what will the range be? If that data is in the video…shame on me…I am not going to spend an hour and a half listening to a video.

I Linked the video because this has been a Very long wait for the release.

I have said it myself, repeatedly,
towing heavy any real distance is not going to work well in an EV pickup. Maybe "someday" when much lighter higher energy density batteries are available

I am a believer in hybrid / extended range design, and GM Could have been years ahead and THE leader by upsizing the Volt extended range basic design into a truck.

Ford is selling the heck out of the F series hybrids, and can tow long distance with Excellent overall efficiency, as will the new RAM when they start delivering it. I was impressed by the Cyberbeast pulling the sled though.

The Tesla MotorClub guys highlighted a spec page AIANM the empty epa range was over 340 miles. My guess is Less than 1/2 that pulling under 10K.

I Do respect that they Did Actually build the CyberTruck and will refine it and make multiple versions and WILL scale Production.

Something that I can Not respect about GM.
Wasting millions on SuperBowl EV ads that are Meaningless because they have not and likely will not follow Through, but are More than happy to put their hand out for Loans and Grants In the 10's of Billions.
Billions That Neither Ford Nor Tesla Took.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,593  
CT is impressive without a doubt. It will be interesting how long the 2 million back log takes to get addressed.

Look forward to hearing from Sandy when his NDA expires at midnight.
Latest estimates I have seen are only 30% will complete the deal.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,594  
Well that's a few years of production. It's coolness factor may keep it going for a while until reality sets in.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,595  

It seems the EV pickups are going to take a few years to get debugged.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,596  
Cybertruck price list:
  • Rear-wheel drive: 250 miles estimated range, 2025 deliveries, $60,990
  • All-wheel drive: 340 miles estimated range, 2024 deliveries, $79,990
  • Cyberbeast: 320 miles estimates range, 2024 deliveries, $99,990

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,597  
Latest estimates I have seen are only 30% will complete the deal.

Well that's a few years of production. It's coolness factor may keep it going for a while until reality sets in.
It seems the EV pickups are going to take a few years to get debugged.
I wonder how many of those deposits were from 2019 when Musk stated the cost would be $40,000. With 1 million deposits and production of 125,000 - 250,000/year that will take a while to clear the backlog. Even if 70% back out that is still a long time. The guys on the TMC video doubted the rear-wheel drive at $60,990 would be produced in 2025. Now that the first available model is double the 2019 price, plus being the early adopters that have to worry about reliability while working out the bugs, will be interesting to see how long the cool factor lasts. Didn't work out so well for DeLorean. Add in when the real-world numbers start coming in while towing and that the Superchargers are not laid out for a truck and trailer to charge. Dropping the trailer every 100 miles or so to charge would be a pain.

The F150 Lightning range is cut in half with a light load on a trailer. I think the explanation in the video has merit. While mileage in an ICE vehicle does decrease based on the workload on the ICE engine, the transmission can adapt to the load by staying in lower gears longer helping to reduce the decrease. The EV has fixed gearing, so the EV motor/s has to pick up the workload. More workload, faster draw from the battery. Also more heat production, which can kill an electric motor.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,598  
I wonder how many of those deposits were from 2019 when Musk stated the cost would be $40,000.
There's an enormous chasm in the number of folks anxious to buy a new truck for $40k, and those willing or able to dump $80k. Not to mention, people putting a deposit on a truck in 2019 likely gave up on waiting and already bought what they needed, before now. I suspect the number of those who made a deposit on the $40k promise in 2019, who actually follow through with a purchase in 2024, is vanishingly small.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,599  
Anyone care to predict how many Cyber Trucks Tesla will sell and deliver in 2024?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,600  
The elephant in the room about that truck , is that it is the ugliest thing on four wheels ! Think of it this way, you could of made the Pontiac Aztec do the the 0 to 60 in 3 seconds ( and adding $30,000 to price) but it would of still been embarrassing to own. But then maybe " early adopters" are used to having lousy looking vehicles.