Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,691  
I know you're being facetious. I've posted the graphs here several times already, someone can dig back and find them, but coal has been on death march for decades now. Cheap natural gas is filling more and more of peak demand, every year.

Efforts by lawmakers to keep it on life support may benefit their local constituents who are already sunk into coal industry careers. But unless the economics around natural gas change, and all continued advancement in renewables and nuclear completely stop, coal's days are numbered.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,692  
I know you're being facetious. I've posted the graphs here several times already, someone can dig back and find them, but coal has been on death march for decades now. Cheap natural gas is filling more and more of peak demand, every year.

Efforts by lawmakers to keep it on life support may benefit their local constituents who are already sunk into coal industry careers. But unless the economics around natural gas change, and all continued advancement in renewables and nuclear completely stop, coal's days are numbered.
Somebody will burn it somewhere for many decades to come. I know a lot of families still cooking on wood every day albeit not in the USA.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,693  
Somebody will burn it somewhere for many decades to come. I know a lot of families still cooking on wood every day albeit not in the USA.
Definitely, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But home heating and cooking is a very small fraction of total coal usage.

My FIL spent the first half of his career working in the largest coal-fired electric generating plant in the world, bult along the Conemaugh near Pittsburgh, in large part to power the induction furnaces Bethlehem Steel was installing to replace their older furnaces. They had four rail lines running across the top of their hoppers, with a continuous line of rail cars dumping loads of coal into the beast, 24/7/365. They may have used more coal in an hour than all the combined cooking and home heating needs of this country for an entire year. And at the time (1970's), there were hundreds of smaller coal generating plants operating in this country. This one in particular is scheduled to close in less than 5 years.

Coal usage will continue forever, but at least in this country, it will be a vanishingly small fraction of what we once burned.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,694  
Fuddy has a point if you only do long distance and supercharge only.
Yes, if you believe The Gas Station Model must be forced on EVs because it works so well for ICE.
But
I have to believe most EV buyers charge at home as much as humanly possible.
Because The Gas Station Model does not work for EVs.
I wonder what Gale's numbers are, since he does a lot more road trips than me. Has quite a few more miles rolled up as well.
Once Upon A Time Tesla posted per kWh and per minute charge costs of Superchargers but now that data is only available in-vehicle and only in Teslas which pay for Supercharging. So I don't know. My Tesla Supercharges for free, for life.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,695  
The 25 Bestselling Cars, Trucks, and SUVs of 2023 (So Far)

Don't count your numbers before the last hand is played. 🙂

Why you struggle over the sun going down on ICEVs?

Because it is government ordered. It's being forced on us only by the democrats in government.

Democratic Michigan Gov. Whitmer signed an executive directive Tuesday forcing the state government's entire fleet of vehicles, both light-duty and heavy-duty, to transition to zero-emission.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,696  
Yes, if you believe The Gas Station Model must be forced on EVs because it works so well for ICE.

Once Upon A Time Tesla posted per kWh and per minute charge costs of Superchargers but now that data is only available in-vehicle and only in Teslas which pay for Supercharging. So I don't know. My Tesla Supercharges for free, for life.
This for you as a person or for the vehicle?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,697  

How come charging stations are being added to Buckee’s gas stations if it doesn’t work?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,698  
Grumpy no one is saying the gas station model is needed to be used by all EV future use......but the early adopters and those that can afford the new tech toy now, are the type of drivers that have a second vehicle and it is ussually ICE or ICE/ battery, ( including many here at TBN) ..... but once the rest of the driving public are forced to get on board, many won't have garages or home plugins access. So will require a " gas station EV model charge infrastructure" . Also in the real world you have millions of people travelling as tourists, or for business, that also require a " gas station EV model charge infrastructure" . So get your head out of your own tiny world and recognize that the majority of the rest of the world has different energy needs than yours. Also I saw a very interesting documentary the other day about the worlds energy future use and third world countries that will be using coal and other dirty energy sources for decades to come to bring them into many of the comforts and economy that Europe and North America now has, because they used dirty fuels like coal for the past 100 yrs to get us those comforts and economic advantages. So it is hypocritical to expect India , Pakistan , Asia, Africa to not use the cheapest energy sources, even if it is to charge their EV cars. Then you have China that plows over everyone economically because of their energy and pollution choices including more coal every year ! So North America and Europe's EV energy choices to improve things will be a drop in the bucket , compared to what rest of the World will be burning to run their economies. So sending our car and industrial manufacturering to China and India and Pakistan will be the result,( and accelerating because of EV mandates ) at the cost of our Grandchildren's economic viability.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,699  
Because it is government ordered. It's being forced on us only by the democrats in government.

Democratic Michigan Gov. Whitmer signed an executive directive Tuesday forcing the state government's entire fleet of vehicles, both light-duty and heavy-duty, to transition to zero-emission.

I live under the thumb of this moron. We call her Witless. She is being groomed for "better things" by her party. Would not be surprised to see a Newsom/Witless ticket in 2028.