Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,892  
by SHARON FELDMAN - 7/24/2023, 10:35 AM

Something from today:

Tesla said it did not agree with NHTSA's analysis but would deploy an over-the-air software update that will "incorporate additional controls and alerts to those already existing on affected vehicles to further encourage the driver to adhere to their continuous driving responsibility whenever Autosteer is engaged."

It has been reported that the recall update has been incorporated into New Tesla's delivered since December 7th from a new delivery:

1 FSD beta style lockout. After 5 disengagements for not addressing nags, you cannot use Autosteer for some period of time

2 More nags, both to pay attention to the road and to keep your hands on the wheel. You have to look at the screen to know what it wants you to do. Sometimes the nags are instant when you engage Autosteer. For example, if you engage Autosteer while looking at the screen you get instant beeps.

3 More prominent nags on the screen. They now show at the top of the visualization initially instead of the bottom.

4 Option/setting for simplified Autosteer engagement with single pull

5 If single pull is enabled, it also simplifies disengagement by no longer switching you to TACC if you disengage by turning the wheel

6 Thankfully I haven’t yet noticed any difference on where it allows Autosteer to be engaged, though I haven’t done a ton of testing

This is not fully confirmed.

Also reported : If Tesla has not come up with a passible update they can Not deliver new cars to buyers.

Will be interested to know what software Grumpy Cats Model Y is running when he takes delivery.
Is the nag update mandatory to operate the vehicle or does the owner have a choice? My wife's Edge tells you to put your hands on the steering wheel when lane keeping assist is engaged and will disengage if you don't comply.

I despise all the warnings on new vehicles including warnings at start up, warnings when engaging navigation, etc. etc. I cuss my Mazda when I take my seatbelt off in my driveway and it tells me to put it back on 😅

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,893  
Nag is the right word.

Normally you need to be married but now all you need is a new car.

At the least a new car is cheaper, and you can leave it in the driveway hoping someone steals it.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,894  
What does a "reviewer" really know after spending a week with a car?

Reviewers write for quick clicks, not posterity.
Of course the guy that just spent $100,000 on Tesla would disagree with Auto reviews . .....but then the majority that spends $100,000 on a sedan car are making a " vanity" .... " look at me" purchase not a economic purchase.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,895  
Of course the guy that just spent $100,000 on Tesla this month would disagree with Auto reviews . .....but then the majority that spends $100,000 on a sedan car are making a " vanity" .... " look at me" purchase not a economic purchase.
Always wondered about some of your posts that perhaps the lack of reading comprehension could explain?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,896  
So what? It is on a government checklist. Government is claiming credit so now it is a newsworthy "recall".

Clickbaiters have been using this claim for the past 10 years of Tesla OTA updates. Tesla fixes many things but some the government claims credit to justify their existence.
Nice try at deflection of a serious safety issue....an issue that has taken 17 lives so far. Now Ego Musk may like to pretend he his selling computer software that happens to have four wheels and sits in a driveway. But the NHTSA has jurisdiction over his cars and this is the start of a wedge slowing down his recklessness with how his customers trust and use FSD , and its impact on other drivers and pedestrians behind or infront of Teslas. I can only imagine the glee that prosecution lawyers will have against Tesla ( or Tesla drivers that don't heed NHTSA "software" download safety recommendations) now that NHTSA has given lawyers another piece of significant ammunition .

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,897  
Always wondered about some of your posts that perhaps the lack of reading comprehension could explain?
And I have worried about your senility with some of your posts, so please read it again slowly, or have one of your children explain what the words mean. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,898  

Look before you leap.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,899  

Look before you leap.
That will be the reality with the used EV market going forward, factoring in the price for battery replacement. He is lucky, at least there is a battery available for his car. The 2014 Ford Focus EV battery is no longer available from Ford. There are aftermarket remanufactured batteries available for $15,000.

This will be an issue for all EVs but is not confined to EVs. Some orphan tractors do not have an EOM parts supply available. But the parts for an EV are definitely proprietary. Manufacturers can't afford to have OEM parts that expensive with a short shelf life sitting in inventory going bad or the manufacturer will no longer be in business. Once the warranty period for that year and model has expired, parts could be in short supply, especially with the changes in battery technology.

For those folks that want an EV leasing would be the smartest option, turn it back in when the warranty runs out. The cost to buy a used EV and replace the battery will exceed the price of a new one. EVs will become disposable, use it till the battery goes bad and then send it to the salvage yard as no one will buy it. Will be interesting to see what dealers do for prices when trading in vehicles out of warranty. KBB shows the trade-in price for a 2015 Model S, which is out of the 8-year battery warranty, to average $11,000.

The good news is NAPA carries 14 different spark plugs for a Tesla Model 3. :LOL:

Florida family drives into electric car problem: a replacement battery costs more than vehicle itself

2011-2018 Ford Focus EV Remanufactured Battery | 36mo WTY

1702564736194.png