Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,991  
No one today questions the need for the driver to remain alert and in control when using cruise control. But when Tesla expands the capabilities of a cruise control, calls it Autopilot, it becomes a Federal Case.
Maybe realize calling it autopilot was a stupid idea, and that a significant portion of society would assume too much of something called autopilot as seen by many a video of drivers sleeping in Teslas while " driving" ..... BUT My response to the recall , if I owned a Tesla ( assumes I lived in a major city, had a garage with a 40 amp 240 volt spare breaker , had no kids to transport, and an extra $50,000 and didn't mind taking other taxpayers money to subsidize my vanity vehicle, and have a spare ICE vehicle) .....but I digress. My response as a Tesla owner to this recall would be, great to know its tech foibles, I was already very carefull with " FSD " or Autopilot features and will more so be. Fortunately the recall does not effect the mechanical aspects of my car and it means I can continue to use it the way I was. Thank you for the new software download that deals with this recall and caring about my safety.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,992  
Maybe realize calling it autopilot was a stupid idea, and that a significant portion of society would assume too much of something called autopilot as seen by many a video of drivers sleeping in Teslas while " driving" ..... BUT My response to the recall , if I owned a Tesla ( assumes I lived in a major city, had a garage with a 40 amp 240 volt spare breaker , had no kids to transport, and an extra $50,000 and didn't mind taking other taxpayers money to subsidize my vanity vehicle, and have a spare ICE vehicle) .....but I digress. My response as a Tesla owner to this recall would be, great to know its tech foibles, I was already very carefull with " FSD " or Autopilot features and will more so be. Fortunately the recall does not effect the mechanical aspects of my car and it means I can continue to use it the way I was. Thank you for the new software download that deals with this recall and caring about my safety.
You don't have to take "taxpayers money". Teslas are not subsidized the way the government compliance EVs are. There is the Federal Tax Credit of $7500 which you do not have to claim.

$50,000 buys a very very nice Tesla. My Model Y LR was $49,000 off the lot. Bought out of state so sales tax is due on registration.

FSD is a $12,000 option. All this fuss is about the level of nagging the $12,000 software performs to demand the driver do his/her job of driving.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,993  
330805197_646128200613214_8494172321945153288_n.thumb.jpg.133687e739c11ed22004daca4136a677.jpg

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,994  
So you didn't read the article to the statistics showing Teslas have an enviable survival rate. Not a question but a statement of fact.

And ignoring the tutorial video posted on using Autopilot. How one is to keep hands on the steering wheel. That the car will nag if you do not and eventually disable Autopilot until one comes to a complete stop? On how no matter how much assistance the car provides the driver is still the driver and responsible for the vehicle. Even if Autopilot drives straight into a telephone pole it is the driver's fault.

Disclaimer: Of the 3 levels of Autopilot I have had level 0 the past 10 years, nothing but the dumb cruise control that would happily rear end a slower car ahead. These past few days my new Model Y has Level 1, the "Traffic Aware Cruise Control" which sees the car ahead and will usually slow when that vehicle (or pedestrian, or motorcycle) slows. Owner's manual says it will also slow for turns and for certain behavior from traffic adjacent.

No one today questions the need for the driver to remain alert and in control when using cruise control. But when Tesla expands the capabilities of a cruise control, calls it Autopilot, it becomes a Federal Case.

Have you tried the autosteer yet? There are nights that it has done a Great job on 2 lane. It sees the lines better than most humans.

Interesting comment section..

Brandon P
19 hours ago

This article appears to be dreadfully misleading. The NHTSA’s data shows that Tesla vehicles have among the very lowest accident rates - for accidents of the severity they track, at least.

The source data you’re using doesn’t seem to be about accidents has in these makes of vehicle.

Gary Seven
14 hours ago

Basically someone with a new Tesla with a door ding is more likely to submit an insurance claim than someone with an old beater.

So agreed, this is Tesla bashing.
Billy
21 hours ago

As a tesla owner, this is not surprising.
Any autopilot issue is easily corrected by a competent driver using it as intended.

Alex K
20 hours ago

Some Bull going on here:

Teslas on non-highways with Full Self Driving (FSD) engaged had just
0.31 accidents per million miles representing an 80% reduction in accidents compared with the average vehicle.Apr 27, 2023

Yeah, the data isn’t about accidents had in Tesla vehicles.
It’s about the accident histories reported by people requesting Tesla insurance quotes through Lending Tree’s website.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,995  
This is 30 minutes of proprietary factory details about how the Cyber truck skin is manufactured in a first ever process.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,996  
Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #12,997  
I'll forever stick by my credo I thought of many years ago: "today's new and improved is tomorrow's junk". Throughout history mankind has been so "brilliant" try this, try that and with each newfangled thing it becomes problematic so that's discarded for something "better", only to discover that has it's own inherent problems.
I'm certainly not against progress, however, things need to be thought out first. All of these green new strategies to lower pollution by deforestation, manufacturing and massive changes only to discover later and too late that it wasn't such a good idea.
View attachment 839182

For some reason I’d prefer to drive a new Toyota as compared to a model T.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,000