Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,631  
Guess not everyone wants to rent an EV. They were not exactly profitable, and they were expensive to maintain after damage. Will be interesting to see how this impacts Tesla and other EV manufacturers bottom line.

This is the Hertz SEC 8K filing, from the Hertz website

https://ir.hertz.com/static-files/402bfe0c-04e9-455d-af2f-69645c3728f1

Item 2.02 Results of Operations and Financial Condition

Hertz Global Holdings, Inc. (the “Company” or “Hertz”) has made the strategic decision to sell approximately 20,000 electric vehicles (“EVs”) from its U.S. fleet, or about one-third of the global EV fleet. These vehicle dispositions, which were initiated in December 2023 and are expected to take place in an orderly fashion over the course of 2024, will cover multiple makes and models. EVs held for sale will remain eligible for rental within the Company’s fleet during the sales process. The Company expects to reinvest a portion of the proceeds from the sale of EVs into the purchase of internal combustion engine(“ICE”) vehicles to meet customer demand.

The Company’s decision to reduce its EV fleet will result in the recognition, during the fourth quarter of 2023, of approximately $245 million of incremental net depreciation expense related to the sale. This non-cash charge represents the write down of the EVs’ carrying values as of December 31, 2023 to their fair values, less related expenses associated with the disposition of the vehicles. This charge is in addition to the depreciation expense that the Company will report for the fourth quarter in the ordinary course with respect to the remainder of its fleet. Future depreciation expense on the specific vehicles held for sale is expected to be limited to impacts from changes in the vehicles’ condition and general market factors. Any gain or loss associated with the ultimate disposition of any specific EV will be recognized in the period of sale. The Company does not expect this EV fleet reduction and the corresponding addition of ICE vehicles to have a material impact on its asset-backed securitization facilities, nor does it anticipate the need to make additional cash contributions to such facilities as a result of this strategic action.

The Company expects this action to better balance supply against expected demand of EVs. This will position the Company to eliminate a disproportionate number of lower margin rentals and reduce damage expense associated with EVs. The Company will continue to execute its strategy around EV mobility and offer customers a wide selection of vehicles. The Company continues to implement a series of initiatives that it anticipates will continue to improve the profitability of the remaining EV fleet. These initiatives include the expansion of EV charging infrastructure, growing relationships with EV manufacturers, particularly related to more affordable access to parts and labor, and continued implementation of policies and educational tools to help enhance the EV experience for customers. Going forward, the Company will continue to actively manage the total size of its EV fleet, as well as the allocation of EVs among customer segments, including leisure, corporate, government and rideshare.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,632  
48 hours later my holy tire is still at 42 psi.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,633  
20 kW is less than my Model S consumed at 70 MPH.

This road is a government boondoggle.
LOL... It's not a "charger", but a "discharge reducer"! Net effect while driving on this road is that your car is still discharging, just more slowly than it would on a regular road.

I guess if making long trips on roadways with this tech, there's still a benefit, if it allows you to run longer stretches between recharging. Present tech is ~250 mile range, but road trippers usually clock 400+ miles per day. If this road tech allows your car to stretch 250 mile range to 500 miles, then even if you're arriving at your destination not fully charged, it's a net positive.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,634  
48 hours later my holy tire is still at 42 psi.
Tread plugs usually hold with no loss. They're actually pretty easy to DIY, and the tools are cheap if bought in a kit with plugs. You should have a set, as it's far quicker and easier to just plug your own, versus driving to a tire shop. Ten minute job, in most cases. Sometimes, you don't even need to remove the wheel from the car.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,635  
Tread plugs usually hold with no loss. They're actually pretty easy to DIY, and the tools are cheap if bought in a kit with plugs. You should have a set, as it's far quicker and easier to just plug your own, versus driving to a tire shop. Ten minute job, in most cases. Sometimes, you don't even need to remove the wheel from the car.
Yep.....easy peezy....if I remember right, my tractor has had me do two plugs, my RTV one, and pickup truck over 9 yrs , two ? , all done in my driveway. Most were nails on dump road . And I will bring my kit on drive to Florida next month but I will add a sharp knife to the kit to cut the plugs flush .

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,638  
The will sell fast once it is the only type Government contract jobs allow to be used.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,639  
Yep.....easy peezy....if I remember right, my tractor has had me do two plugs, my RTV one, and pickup truck over 9 yrs , two ? , all done in my driveway. Most were nails on dump road . And I will bring my kit on drive to Florida next month but I will add a sharp knife to the kit to cut the plugs flush .
Get yourself a nice pair of flush-cut dykes, also sometimes called "side cut pliers". They work really well for this job, as well as cutting zip ties with no protruding sharp edge.

Note the size I posted here is just an example, you may want a slightly larger pair. The key to these, unlike regular wire cutters, is the blades are beveled on only the one edge toward the handle, and totally flush-grind on the outside edge.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,640  
Get yourself a nice pair of flush-cut dykes, also sometimes called "side cut pliers". They work really well for this job, as well as cutting zip ties with no protruding sharp edge.

Note the size I posted here is just an example, you may want a slightly larger pair. The key to these, unlike regular wire cutters, is the blades are beveled on only the one edge toward the handle, and totally flush-grind on the outside edge.
I have seen a pair of those pliers that might be in my Dad's huge toolkit I inherited a few years ago . ( He was a Instrumention Technician at the Uranium mines here in Northern Ontario for 20 yrs) this pic is what I use typically for those plug ends , but now I am going to dig thru is kit. Thks
20240112_092436.jpg