Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,681  
Amen. I got home at 1am from NYC the other day. Got to my car, sitting in the cold for three days. Started fine, but the door latch was so cold it was sticky and would not latch. I drove 40 miles home on I70 with the door open. Next week it will be 40F again.

We had a ice storm a couple weeks back that encased the model Y door handles and were froze shut. I turned on the defrost and still took 10 minutes till I could crack the ice and get the door open. Later I did find that the phone ap does have a door open solenoid but I had to drag it into the ICON area from a second menu. It should be a nice thing to have when the cars are covered in ice.
My old Jeep truck was terrible with the door handles when weather got like this had to spray the button with de-ice to get the door open and then it would stick inside the handle, and like your trip had to either hold on to the door cushion or tie it shut to drive.
Made for a very uncomfortable trip.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,683  
We had a ice storm a couple weeks back that encased the model Y door handles and were froze shut. I turned on the defrost and still took 10 minutes till I could crack the ice and get the door open. Later I did find that the phone ap does have a door open solenoid but I had to drag it into the ICON area from a second menu. It should be a nice thing to have when the cars are covered in ice.
My Model S blew hot air out the door handles. I never had a situation where I knew the door handles were frozen.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,684  
Most gas stations have an attendant that has information on when the tanks will be working again. Does a Tesla charging station give any indication by app or otherwise on how long they will be out of service?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,685  
Most gas stations have an attendant that has information on when the tanks will be working again. Does a Tesla charging station give any indication by app or otherwise on how long they will be out of service?
Status is reported in the nav system in the Tesla. One should not be surprised arriving at a Supercharger to find it busy. Out of service is a vary rare occasion.

Superchargers are listed in the app.

A47E51A4-DC1E-479A-A151-7FBB2F73589E.png

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,686  
I have an idea that to be More fair to ICE vehicles there should be a winter range economy test. Since they generate cabin heat for free and do not get any EPA credit for it.
The standard range tests today for electrics " mpge" do not take interior heating into the equation at all. It cheats ICE vehicles.
Every time I have gotten the best hand calculated MPG with my diesel truck it has been in the winter.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,687  
I have an idea that to be More fair to ICE vehicles there should be a winter range economy test. Since they generate cabin heat for free and do not get any EPA credit for it.
The standard range tests today for electrics " mpge" do not take interior heating into the equation at all. It cheats ICE vehicles.
I don't think the cabin heat is a huge issue.

My Y's Energy screen seems to break down it's energy consumers and when I've looked cabin heat is a very minor item. I would expect to see battery heater to be the biggest addition to cold EV operation.

An ICE runs rich much longer warming up in the cold. And every cold 500 mile day I have had poorer MPG than on summer days with every ICE I have owned. My current 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i has a huge drop from 32 MPG to 26 at about 45-50°F.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,689  
Chicago.........
Great example......except our Tesla Church leader Grumpy, will say its not factual , so then it never happens. Meanwhile it's happening all over much of North America this month.