Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,702  
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,703  
While I suspect I will own an EV someday soon, and will have no problems with charging it at home overnight for daily errands, I would not want an EV as a rental anytime soon. Who wants to deal with finding places and ways to charge them, when traveling on vacation or business?

Hertz's decision to buy EV's was somewhere between stupid and completely misunderstanding their customer needs. Spending valuable hours on vacation or business travel is not the time or place when one is most interested in hobbling themselves with new tech.
I'm not talking about Hertz. I'm talking about all the people in the city trying to fuel a car with limited range at a charger, of which there are too few, when charging takes exponentially longer than with ICE. Ending up with dead batteries and having them towed to a charger. My range on my ICE is 400 miles when it's 80F or 10F. And it always takes about 5 minutes to "recharge". I'll own an EV someday, but will also have an ICE option too. At least before a storm I can store up 10 extra gallons of fuel for myself and extend my range 300 miles, which is exactly what we did this past week.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,704  
I'm not talking about Hertz. I'm talking about all the people in the city trying to fuel a car with limited range at a charger, of which there are too few, when charging takes exponentially longer than with ICE. Ending up with dead batteries and having them towed to a charger. My range on my ICE is 400 miles when it's 80F or 10F. And it always takes about 5 minutes to "recharge". I'll own an EV someday, but will also have an ICE option too. At least before a storm I can store up 10 extra gallons of fuel for myself and extend my range 300 miles, which is exactly what we did this past week.
The fraction of car buyers who can afford a new EV, yet are living in a situation with only on-street parking, must be very small today. Right now, the prime target is wealthy suburbanites, who have easy facility to home charging. As I believe Grumpy already said, parking garage charging facilities for middle-class and upper apartment dwellers are likely to become as normal and required as washer and dryer hookups.

There will always be some under-served portion of the population, stuck charging in the dying "gas station model". Don't be one of them!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,705  
Only happens to those depending on public/shared resources. I have consistently hammered home how that is not the solution. You cite examples proving my point.

Video is from a suburb of Chicago. Not a major transportation corridor but of daily commuters. The Gas Station Model doesn’t work.
Again your only focusing on your model of driving , and those of the rich early adopters. In the real world left they will live everywhere you don't, and not have continuous self owned chargers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,706  
Most Tesla owners have the facilities to charge at home. So 2.8 million owners? Say 2.5 million “chargers”?

Last I looked there were less than 500,000 gas pumps.
Again your only focusing on your model of driving , and those of the rich early adopters. In the real world left they will live everywhere you don't, and not have continuous self owned chargers.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,707  
As I believe Grumpy already said, parking garage charging facilities for middle-class and upper apartment dwellers are likely to become as normal and required as washer and dryer hookups.

There will always be some under-served portion of the population, stuck charging in the dying "gas station model". Don't be one of them!
"Dying gas station model"? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
EVs made up something like 6% of NEW car sales in 2023. The total percentage of EVs as part of the total vehicle fleet is miniscule. Gas stations aren't going away anytime soon.

Somebody still has to pay for all these charging stations in apartment buildings.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,708  
The fraction of car buyers who can afford a new EV, yet are living in a situation with only on-street parking, must be very small today. Right now, the prime target is wealthy suburbanites, who have easy facility to home charging. As I believe Grumpy already said, parking garage charging facilities for middle-class and upper apartment dwellers are likely to become as normal and required as washer and dryer hookups.

I suspect you are drastically underestimating the kw costs for apartment landlords to upgrade the services in their buildings and the years required for that expensive turnover to occur. Let alone the city upgrades to infrastructure to add 50 amps to every house/ street , and time and hardware/ resource shortages.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,709  
"Dying gas station model"? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
EVs made up something like 6% of NEW car sales in 2023. The total percentage of EVs as part of the total vehicle fleet is miniscule. Gas stations aren't going away anytime soon.
Gas Station Model is a fallacy for EV.
Somebody still has to pay for all these charging stations in apartment buildings.
Yes, apartment dwellers. Just as they pay for a parking space. Just as they pay for internet. Just as they pay for running water and sewer. Just as they pay for washer and dryer hookups. Just as they pay for electricity. None of those things were common in 1900.

The kerfuffle in Chicago is of misguided consumers who believed they could depend on an EV Gas Station, and practiced ICE bad habits of waiting until 1/4 tank or less to bother "filling".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,710  
But the claim stated how there are much fewer EV charging stations than gas pumps. I say there are at least 6x more EV charging stations in the USA than gas pumps.