Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,931  
Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,932  
What happens when the operating company goes bankrupt?

In many cases wells are sold at the end of their life. The buyer produces the well for a short time and then goes bankrupt.
A very common practice.

Also "Abandond well" does not generally mean no one paid to seal it end of life.
And even when wells are capped or sealed they also can fail.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,933  
TBN the only place Al Gore's is still relevant.
That's because we are not allowed to post the name of the present hypocritical politicians in power that are on the green band wagon, but we know Gore is their hero .... ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,935  
That's because we are not allowed to post the name of the present hypocritical politicians in power that are on the green band wagon, but we know Gore is their hero .... ;)
I'm outta touch but I really didn't think anyone gave a crap or thought about that dude anymore.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,936  
There were several straight pages of arguments about 80A/100A/125A/200A service, and implications that people with less than 200A service are going to have issues with charging an EV. These older service panels < 200A are mostly installed in older and smaller homes, where overnight load is likely very low. I can't imagine there are actually many cases where there's not 30A to spare for overnight charging of an EV.

Daytime charging is another issue, as it is realistic that combined household load may total over 50A, before plugging in the EV. However, I'm living in over 8000 sq.ft., and it's rare even here to see our daytime load peak much above 50A. There are certain fixed loads irrespective of the size of the home (electric range, electric clothes dryer, electric water heater), but many other loads scale with the size of the home (heat pumps, lighting, number of occupants, etc.).

If I lived in a home with an 80A or 100A service, and wanted to avoid an upgrade, I have very little doubt I could make it work. It would mean more careful planning on when I charge, or making sure no one runs the clothes dryer when I need to do that odd daytime boost.
For our Model Y I typically offer it 32 amps since the old garage is fed off of a 240 volt 40 amp breaker located in the house. The article linked above mentioned the request to limit power consumption so I have limited the car assess to only 16 amps from the grid.

For my midnight coffee run last night I left with 87% SOC and when I got back and plugged it in the screen reported in 2 hours and 15 minutes SOC will be back to 88%. At 32 amps it would have taken about an hour.

The car can handle up to 48 amps of input but that would require a 60 amp breaker and a 48 amp cable.

Typically one. would be cooking with gas if you had access to a 20 amp 220 volt outlet.

48 amps can add.around 45 miles of range per hour. At 16 amps one can about 15 miles of range per hour.

120 volts at 12 amps typically adds 6 miles per hour. Topping off at midnight would have taken more like 5 hours but no big hairy deal when I'm sleeping.

As typically is the case, more speed requires more expensive hardware 🙂

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,937  
Irrelevant.
Hypocrisy!
Just one example:
Of course we all know his mansion and private jet operate on clean, free battery power.

What, I thought he was hunting ManBearPig and he is Cereal.

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,938  
It still takes at least 5 minutes to turn off the road, park in front of a pump, then after buying gasoline to return to the road. Then 5 minutes at the pump. Is not the claimed 5 minute diversion.
I get as tired of the argument about which takes longer to fuel as I do about the electric vs gas. You drive what you want, and let me drive what I want. However, today I pulled off the highway, fueled, and got back onto the road while the same song played on the radio.

You will never make that claim with an EV.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,939  
I get as tired of the argument about which takes longer to fuel as I do about the electric vs gas. You drive what you want, and let me drive what I want. However, today I pulled off the highway, fueled, and got back onto the road while the same song played on the radio.

You will never make that claim with an EV.

Actually it happens everytime i have my phones music linked to Tesla's stereo. Go into the store and come back out what starts playing is the song right where it stopped when the door shut. 'yeah' that could be an hour later.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #13,940  
Another Teslafi user ;)

My lowest is -25 C / -11 F

See how I burned electrons on Poland's highway. 😁
Efficiency is rather low, but check speed :cool:

View attachment 847340
136 km/hr is 84 MPH.

The "efficiency" and kWh used in the above summaries are from-battery and not from-grid. To get those you have to bracket the drives with charges.