Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,263  
Grump will discredit all that scootr...wait for it.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,264  
1993.5 Infiniti G20, probably my 2nd favorite car. Maybe a mistake to dutifully pay the dealer to do a preventative wheel alignment because some time after that I couldn’t get 20,000 miles on tires before inside edge was down to cords.

Multiple other alignment shops swore the rear wheels were aligned to spec. Printout showed negative camber of 1.5°. Swore was not adjustable.

Back then Infiniti was unique in providing a trade sized service manual in a nice presentation box with dedicated shelf in the trunk. So I started reading. Sure enough claimed rear camber not adjustable but … coil over rear strut clamped to the axle hub/knuckle with 2 bolts. 1/32” slop in one bolt hole (2” apart) would provide 0.9° of adjustment. VW front camber is adjusted exactly this way, VW even sells special bolts necked down to provide extra adjustment.

Jacked the wheel up, loosened the bolts and it dropped out a good bit toward positive camber so I put away my rat tail file, intending to ream the holes. Took it back and had 0.0° on one and -0.25 on the other. Good enough. End of premature tire wear.

That is one of the coolest things! You are my hero!

When the Y was announced I was disappointed Tesla wasn’t building a Subaru Outback with reasonable tires. Wasn’t going to replace my Outback with something wearing 45 series tires.

Years later I buy a Model Y. And about a month later am talked into selling the Outback to a family member.

I’ll be following your 18” wheel journey.

TireRack currently wants $420/each for the 19” Pirelli Scorpion tires fitted OE to my Y.

Yeah the 21" wheels and super low profile tires is a really bad idea for any area with gravel roads. There is almost no Give in those 275-35/21's I do not trust them even new not to get a flat within 50 miles on a gravel road.
Off almost 12% now, I hear there might be support around 175. My 15% haircut prediction just might happen today.

dang 182 and heading south...

If it gets down to around 115 like last January, I will buy some.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,265  

BYD says they have new no burn battery.... We will see.
So far Tesla's burn at a much lower rate than BYD electrics.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,267  
Grump will discredit all that scootr...wait for it.
Grumpy will blame it on vandals , or that the car owners didn't have the engineering degree needed to charge the things properly. ;)

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,269  

This is an hour with the head. GM guy involved with hydrogen fuel cells. They're talking about for mining news, the garbage trucks in the cities and things like that. It is kind of interesting if you don't get bored by it.

He states that for the light stuff like passenger car and pickup trucks and local delivery the EV is the best route to go but they're talking about were you burning a lot of diesel and everybody's working out of the same yard. Fuel cells make more sense when Platinum is cheap.

As the increasing cost to build ICE vehicles accelerate their death spiral and the declining cost of EVS they will the go-to choice for personal transportation privately owned.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,270  
On MY P's I actually agree with the 20 % less miles travelled. Price of admission for the available cornering ability. What I do not really agree with is Tesla's propensity to use overly large diameter wheels which results in more expensive tires. I dropped the wheel diameter all the way from a 21" to an 18" set of wheels so less expensive and Much better riding snow tires could be used. When the 21" summer tires wear out I may just buy more 18" tires for the aftermarket wheels, instead of buying $300+ 21" tires
We all should agree that wear is not because car is electric, but because that's performance car

Basic Engineering Axiom:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick two.
It's a bit more complex that that, but yeah basic idea is like this