Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,561  
I've given up debating the EV freaks. Like you said, they will go to any length to prove you wrong, or at least try to prove you wrong and if they can't they just call you a Maga ***** loving idiot.
The debate is only to clear up misconceptions and outright falsehoods that are based little to no experience with EV's.

Freaks? Where did the EV hurt you?

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,562  
I mean, I don’t dislike EVs. But I sort of feel like if you don’t like everything about them, you are seen as an EV hater. If you ask probing questions, instead of blindly following, you are anti EV. Reminds me of vaccines and climate change actually. I still can’t save enough $$ with fuel savings to cover the purchase price, since I never buy new... Probably one reason I can retire at 47.

If I could buy a low mileage AWD EV with a REAL 250+ mile range for under $30k… Id buy one. I’d still keep an ICE quite honestly. But I’d own one. I just can’t purchase that vehicle today. A RWD vehicle isn’t a good only vehicle in the snow and ice belt, so maybe 50% of the country. So, that is a consideration, the cheapest RWD models just won’t work.
With tax incentives you might be able to buy a new Tesla 3 for close to that. Depends upon your state incentives too. In Texas I will get $2500 + the $7500 fed incentive.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,563  
So in 5-10 minutes stopped, a Tesla can add 200 miles? I didn’t know that. I thought that required supercharging and more like 15. Are all charging stations superchargers, or do I have to seek out one?
Depends on the Tesla as to how fast it will charge. But most will add 100 miles in the time you can pee.

There are non-Superchargers, these are called Destination Chargers sometimes found at restaurants but more commonly at hotels where one spends the night. Tesla used to give the hardware away, sometimes paying for installation, if a facility would agree to allow use by the facility’s customers for no additional charge.

There is currently 2536 Supercharger sites in North America. Most have 8 bays. Many have 16. Some are 120kW, the new are 250kW.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,564  
No, I said Ive driven one, never owned it. How costly is supercharging to add 200 miles?
You clearly drove a Tesla with your eyes shut repeating over and over again, “I hate it.”

You could do the math if you wanted but you’d rather gripe.

280 Wh/mile for a Model Y.
$0.36/kWh is a price sometimes cited for Superchargers.

I realize math causes migraines so
0.280 x 0.36 x 200 = $20.16

$20.16 / $3/gallon * 30 MPG = 201.6 miles.

The cost to drive via Supercharger is essentially the same as 30 MPG at $3/gallon. This is why Supercharger As Gas Station is a bad idea in general. But it allows long distance travel without the need for a second vehicle or a rental.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,566  
Y is 187 in length. 4400 lbs
Toyota Corolla is 183 in length, 3100 lbs.

Not really.
Model 3 interior volume: 97 cu feet
Corolla interior volume: 89 cu feet

Model Y interior volume is not listed for some reason, but is significantly larger than the 3 which is larger than the Corolla.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,567  
Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,568  
Model 3 interior volume: 97 cu feet
Corolla interior volume: 89 cu feet

Model Y interior volume is not listed for some reason, but is significantly larger than the 3 which is larger than the Corolla.

Found this:

The Tesla Model Y has 76 cubic feet of cargo space split between its front trunk and rear hatch, at least when the rear seats are folded. That's one of the largest cargo capacities among luxury hybrid and electric SUVs and electric SUVS in general. There's plenty of room for stowing small items, as well as bulkier cargo like home improvement supplies. A power liftgate comes standard.

Seems to conflict with the numbers you found. Wonder if the number in this article is actually with the rear seats UP.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,569  
Did you own the car? Because you wouldn't be making those comments if you did.
Of course he wouldn't make those comments, because like any issue , after you realize you make maybe a $60,000 EV mistake or more ( whether its a car , a real estate deal or boat etc ) your not going to admit the problems you have, your instead going to grin and bear it , you don't want your family and friends to think less of ya . ;)

Last edited:
   / Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #14,570  
You clearly drove a Tesla with your eyes shut repeating over and over again, “I hate it.”

You could do the math if you wanted but you’d rather gripe.

280 Wh/mile for a Model Y.
$0.36/kWh is a price sometimes cited for Superchargers.

I realize math causes migraines so
0.280 x 0.36 x 200 = $20.16

$20.16 / $3/gallon * 30 MPG = 201.6 miles.

The cost to drive via Supercharger is essentially the same as 30 MPG at $3/gallon. This is why Supercharger As Gas Station is a bad idea in general. But it allows long distance travel without the need for a second vehicle or a rental.
So how much in not "south east cheap electricity states" ? California ? New York ? It seems almost double your quote...hmm.....and give up on your silly pontificating about " gas station model" .....it may not be what the rich, own a garage, early adopters need , ( and Tesla admits too much Supercharging will damage their batteries, so don't want gas station model habits ! ) but any next wave of customers will need the gas station model , and so will commercial trucking. So get used to that need vision because the real world users would need it .