Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,781  
I have stated that before. Give me a cheap 150 mile range EV and I get much more interested. If I could charge it in less than 5 minutes almost anywhere it changes the game significantly. It becomes the almost perfect second car.
Can charge any EV in 30 seconds at home. 15 seconds to plug in, eat supper, watch TV, troll TBN, sleep, eat breakfast, unplug in 15 seconds, and off you go.

If one doesn't drive more than the range of the EV then the whole "gas station" and "5 minutes to full" arguments losing arguments because the EV takes less time.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,782  
Toyota does not drop the ICE just modifies it to a hybrid - From your Link; "That means front-wheel-drive Camrys get 225 hp from their 2.5-liter gas-electric combo."
Yes and no. The Toyota Synergy Drive Hybrid is a wildly different driveline than the pure ICE version.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,783  
Wouldn't you like your "filling station" at your house?

One of the many reasons and EV is much more convenient than an ICE.
Talking to the grandson of the people who once owned my Tennessee property he was so impressed his grandfather had a gasoline tank in the ground and could fill the car, truck, and tractor at home back in the 1970s.

I said, "Oh no. Where is this gas tank?" House scheduled for demolition next week and this gas tank is one more thing we have to deal with.

My grandfather also had a gasoline pump at home to fill the tractor. Back when diesel tractors were just becoming a thing, grandfather still used an International Harvester "M".

Today I note most use a diesel transfer tank in a pickup truck rather than a fixed tank at home. Saves delivery costs. Makes it easier to take to the tractor in the field rather than bring the tractor back.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,785  
Your safe recharging station for the majority of your driving is at home so there is no waiting if done at night like I do. I can't repeat it enough because very few EV haters are listening.
And the EV haters are in denial of what Tesla has done with Superchargers. Pick and choose their data using the government's failed CCS chargers.

I might have a 250 mile day coming up. I have (4) Superchargers on the route. Simply awful!

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,786  
Actually your not listening .......you have 21 people on ignore here and almost all of those EV realists have no problem with hybrids .
You conveniently forget the 2000s when Toyota Prius was new. When hybrids first appeared. The very same lame arguments against EV today were levied against hybrid then. "Adds too much weight!" "Too complex, nobody knows how to repair!" "New battery every 3 years costs $5,000!" "Costs too much, you will never recover the additional expense in fuel savings!"

I paid $32,000 for a Toyota Avalon in 2000. Traded for 2007 Prius for $27,000. I doubled MPG and saved $5000 buying a car I liked better than the Avalon. "Gee, wonder if I'll ever make up the (negative) difference in fuel savings?"

So in 20 years I predict all the EV haters will be driving EVs and hating on the latest and greatest Personal Antimatter Reactor automobiles Elon will be producing. Never needs refueling putting hundreds of thousands of highly paid union workers on the unemployment line.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,787  
I am genuinely concerned about pickup's and off road vehicles that have battery cells on the bottom, when a puncture could be thermal run-away and a fiery death for the vehicle. Not even a puncture, but a dent or bend.
You are so behind the times. LiFePO4 does not suffer from "thermal runaway".

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,788  
What the heck? So is this going to be like a diesel locomotive only powered by gasoline? What kind of mileage could that possibly get? I'm confused :unsure:
It is the failed serial-hybrid design of BMW i3 REx and many others. A "pure" simple design, engine drives generator generator drives motor. Just like a diesel-electric locomotive.

The tiny BMW i3 REx got awful MPG in spite of having a 632cc engine optimized to the task.

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,789  
You conveniently forget the 2000s when Toyota Prius was new. When hybrids first appeared. The very same lame arguments against EV today were levied against hybrid then. "Adds too much weight!" "Too complex, nobody knows how to repair!" "New battery every 3 years costs $5,000!" "Costs too much, you will never recover the additional expense in fuel savings!"

I paid $32,000 for a Toyota Avalon in 2000. Traded for 2007 Prius for $27,000. I doubled MPG and saved $5000 buying a car I liked better than the Avalon. "Gee, wonder if I'll ever make up the (negative) difference in fuel savings?"

So in 20 years I predict all the EV haters will be driving EVs and hating on the latest and greatest Personal Antimatter Reactor automobiles Elon will be producing. Never needs refueling putting hundreds of thousands of highly paid union workers on the unemployment line.
Stop living in the past ;) , none of us here are slagging hybrids, and you have no clue how we felt a couple decades ago, quite frankly I was too busy raising kids thru University and working my middle class life driving used vehicles to ever worry about buying a hybrid or not ........We do see how much you hate the American Auto workers , I guess according to you and Gale the "death spiral" of Amercan jobs is a good thing. You might get your way if things go bad this Fall. But I am not suprised at your consistent me me me attitude , sadly ....... hmmmm

/ Battery based vehicles of today and tomorrow pt 2 #17,790  
I have been wondering the same.

The truck could pick up a lot of the wasted energy with regen braking in hilly country, but still has to carry the battery weight at all times .
I don't observe regeneration is the miracle many make it out to be.

I guess the V6 they are using has a very flat torque curve down to almost 1400 RPM so that will help
Oooh, you mean it might produce a HP using less fuel at low RPM than at high RPM? 😇
Also If RAM uses a heat pump they can utilize a lot of the heat energy.
For heating the cabin.

I have wondered why Hybrids do not use a large peltier say mounted to an exhaust manifold used in reverse as a battery charger as well when the engine is running and radiating heat after off. Probably to low of efficiency versus cost.
Peltier crystals are terribly inefficient.

And interestingly, the thermal efficiency of an ICE is measured to the tip of the exhaust pipe. Cool the gasses and one affects the flow and salvaging savaging from the combustion chamber.

It should be a good truck if they can really push up the MPG without stopping to recharge.
Not with the inefficiency of converting mechanical energy to electrical and then electrical back to mechanical. One happily eats this inefficiency with a diesel-electric locomotive or the huge earth moving trucks used in many mining operations due to the cost and complexity of a transmission drive. Electric hybrid drive preferred over hydrostatic or cut gears.

Last edited: