Battery powered chainsaw

/ Battery powered chainsaw #871  
EGO is coming up with a unique remote charging system:

It isn't going to be particularly cheap, but it would allow recharging tools on the road. Although, for that price, perhaps one is better just getting a pile of batteries.

Greenworks is putting big "suitcase batteries" in their mowers. But, I don't see a remote charging solution yet. Undoubtedly it is coming.

They do have inverters.
Ironically the 6 individual battery's in there zero turn mower was what I liked. :unsure: If one failed it could readily be replaced.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #872  
Ironically the 6 individual battery's in there zero turn mower was what I liked. :unsure: If one failed it could readily be replaced.
I think quickly the industry will outscale the small cartridge batteries. One nice thing about the cartridge batteries is that they can also be upgraded some, although limited by case size. Is the largest one EGO sells the 56V, 12 Ah? Not particularly cheap, but overall much cheaper than buying a whole new mower.

Greenworks is coming out with dual suitcase batteries in their newest "pro" mower.

So far I don't see those listed for sale separately.

One thing that several manufactures are doing is selling their equipment with a mix of batteries. So, the Greenworks mower comes with:

2 - 20Ah batteries
2 - 8Ah 60v batteries (largest of their mainstream 60v batteries).
2 - 4Ah 60v batteries (why do they throw those in rather than either leaving it empty, or giving 2 more 8Ah batteries?)

/ Battery powered chainsaw #873  
I will say, this is the mower that I'm currently working on.

old-flail-landini-1-jpg.865363

The reason is that I'm not mowing baseball fields.

I've got blackberries. And in places I hit between about a 30° and a 45°slope. For years I've been trying to get to the lower part of the property without much luck.

If it was available in electric for less than $200,000 then I might be interested. But for now this seems to be close to what I need.

I'll try to get my Toro 455d running this year. That'll also expand my mowing a bit.

I will consider one of the electric zero turn mowers, but it isn't fitting into my life at the moment.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #874  

It isn't going to be particularly cheap, but it would allow recharging tools on the road. Although, for that price, perhaps one is better just getting a pile of batteries.

Greenworks is putting big "suitcase batteries" in their mowers. But, I don't see a remote charging solution yet. Undoubtedly it is coming.

They do have inverters.
It was only a matter of time before someone did that.

Somewhere around I have a charger for my Milwaukee M18 batteries that plugs in to a 12V cigarette lighter. Its slower than my 120VAC rapid charger (and also slower than my older original M18 chargers), but it does work. In a jam, I can recharge from my truck or tractor.

I don't use the 12V charger much, because for most of my cordless tools, I'm relatively close to an electrical outlet and use the faster wall charger. The one exception is the chainsaw, since most of my work is well into the woods. I've occasionally brought my battery saw along in the woods, but usually only when cruising trails to clean up minor storm damage. When I'm spending a day in the woods - or even half a day, or when I'm not sure how big the job is, it's a gas saw that gets taken along (usually two of them).

/ Battery powered chainsaw #875  
A gasser won't run all day on a tank of fuel. An electric saw won't run all day on one battery either. This isn't a fair comparison.

You carry a gas can for the gasser, just carry spare batteries for the electric saw.
A small can of gas weighs less than a battery, and that can will last 8 hours or more.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #876  
What saw and battery do you have? Do you have spare batteries?

How close are you to a power source? I usually have one battery on the charger while I'm cutting, and can get a full charge in about a half hour or so. I have at least 200 or 300 yards worth of extension cords I can use if needed.

I have an older 40V Greenworks (16" or 18"), Greenworks 60V 20", and Greenworks Commercial 82V 20".

The 60V 20" and 82V 20" saws are pretty similar, although the 82V batteries have a slightly larger capacity. I'm still exploring a bit, but I like the 60V, 8Ah batteries and the 80 or 82V 4Ah, 5Ah, or 6Ah batteries. 80V and 82V batteries are similar enough to power the saw. I'll modify my saw to take both shortly.

The older 40V saw has a thinner blade, so it doesn't suck down battery juice as quickly. But the newer 20" saws really throw a pile of chips!!! But, unfortunately bigger batteries are still drained eventually. An hour or so of cutting for a larger battery? Then it is time for a brief break, change the battery, check the oil, etc.

They do have inverters.

I have two batteries. Well, I did. One just took a crap after 4 years, it's $200 to replace. Light use too. I don't work near much power. We are off in the woods, or on disaster relief calls where we cut all day in tornado ravaged areas. I guess I could use a gas generator 😂

/ Battery powered chainsaw #877  
I have two batteries. Well, I did. One just took a crap after 4 years, it's $200 to replace. Light use too. I don't work near much power. We are off in the woods, or on disaster relief calls where we cut all day in tornado ravaged areas. I guess I could use a gas generator 😂
Do you have power back at base camp? You could get a new EV pickup with power to spare. :)

/ Battery powered chainsaw #878  
Do you have power back at base camp? You could get a new EV pickup with power to spare. :)

I can have power in the evenings, but I'd need 12 batteries to get me through the day on one saw.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #879  
A can of fuel lasts longer and is lighter than a battery. A tank of fuel alone is probably the equivalent of two batteries or more. I do hope battery tech improves
Data, please. Don't just "probably" make things up.

/ Battery powered chainsaw #880  
I have two batteries. Well, I did. One just took a crap after 4 years, it's $200 to replace. Light use too.
what brand? A lot of battery tools have junk batteries. And no aftermarket 3rd party battery is as good as OE.

Light use is hard on lithium-ion batteries. Especially if left in the charger for weeks at a time.

EGo's batteries have a built-in self-discharge to 50% for minimizing wear on the battery cells if unused for 30 days.