Battery Terminal Corrosion

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion #1  

3Ts

Elite Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
I check my equipment periodically, but this surprised me! The battery is less than 3 years old and I check electrolyte levels every time I change engine oil. There were some signs of corrosion beginning about 2 months ago, so what is causing this? I have the felt washers on the terminals and the red battery spray coating as well. I don't have any problems with the electrical system and it starts just fine. The corrosion is on the positive terminal primarily. There is also some on the battery holddown and very little on the negative terminal. Over the last 6 months there have been many 3 mile trips - about 4 per week, but at least once a week into town which is 30+ minutes and I don't see an issue with the charging system (or maybe I missed it?)

This is of an 2012 F250 diesel with 2 batteries, the other one is not nearly as bad. Any ideas as to what is causing this and what I can do to stop it? My searches on the internet indicate that it is probably a failed seal around the post.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion #2  
This is typical of out gassing. It will not stop.
Keep an eye on it and keep using baking soda and water solution to wash it.
Then replace with new felt washers and respray with the red protectant.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion #3  
Based on my limited experience, I recommend finding a good quality replacement for the battery.

On my tractor, the original battery never had corrosion problems. When it needed replacement, I bought something cheap at TSC. It only lasted a couple of years, and I had chronic issues with corrosion. I replaced it with an Optima, and I’ve had no problems for several years.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion #4  
Amazing. You do everything you should and can, exactly as I do, and I don't generally have a problem. One thing I do though, in addition is take some very heavy Epoxy Filled heatshrink and put it form fitted over the hold down bracket, so the positive terminal has nothing to leak current to, if there is moisture there. It looks nicer too as the paint never lasts long on any battery bracket, and paint wouldn't last two weeks.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion #5  
The old trick for terminal corrosion was to dab Vaseline on the terminals.
Today they sell specialized products 4 that.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion #6  
And he said he sprayed the RED goop on them.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion #7  
You don’t specify the type of battery but I can assume from your comments it is a non sealed lead acid battery. Any non dealer lead acid will tend to “leak” or “seep” battery acid as you bounce around in the tractor. It’s the nature of the battery design in conjunction with the tractor itself.

Once a little acid is out of the battery it’s difficult to wash away. You will need to neutralize anything the acid has come in contact with.

I’d recommend replacing the battery with a sealed lead acid at a minimum and and AGM would be better- but not necessary. Neutralize everything around the battery so the acid is no longer causing damage. Repaint anything with damage. Then coat the battery posts and lugs with Vaseline (as mentioned above).

As a part of your routine maintenance (which it sounds like you have a good schedule) neutralize the battery and surrounding area with a home made (baking soda and water) or commercially purchased product.

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion
I forgot to attach a picture of the corrosion. This is the only terminal out of 4 showing corrosion (qty of 2 batteries in the vehicle). So I'll be replacing the battery tomorrow. The holddowns are corroding as well.
IMG_3245.jpg

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion #9  
And that is exactly why I do my hold downs the way I described. That's nasty! Is it possible, some batteries just develope cracks around the terminals?

You said you check the fluid levels. You don't over fill them by chance?

/ Battery Terminal Corrosion
One thing I do though, in addition is take some very heavy Epoxy Filled heatshrink and put it form fitted over the hold down bracket, so the positive terminal has nothing to leak current to, if there is moisture there.

I hadn't thought of doing something like that. I'll have to get a different holddown bracket since the current ones are "U" shaped.