Batteryminder 1500 Review

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #31  
+1 on the HF tenders! I have/use about 6 of them.

- Jay

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #32  
   / Batteryminder 1500 Review
I put my rejuvenated battery to the toughest test yet, over the weekend. Woke up to -14 degrees, with severe blowing and drifting snow. An hour later our power went out. Normally I would wait until the weather was better before plowing the drive. But when I called the co-op about the outage, I was the only one reporting it. In case the trucks needed to get to my transformer, I had to plow my long drive, and do it right away. I hadn't used the BatteryMinder on the DX55 battery for quite a few weeks, and with no power I couldn't use the block heater. I cycled the glow plugs twice, and turned the key. It cranked fast and started right up. Whew! I got the driveway plowed, but the outage was at the road so the power trucks didn't need to come up the drive anyway. That was the coldest I've tried to start the tractor, especially without the block heater. I'm glad the battery is performing close to new again.

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #34  
Ford850,
Whew.... -14*F is nippy, for sure!
I'm glad things worked out as well as they did for ya!

Have you considered getting a power generator for such events?
If you had one, you could run it to power your block heater if need be.

My neighborhood looses electrical power, probably 2-4 times a year; usually for 4-48 hours at a time. 4 hours isn't bad, but when it's very cold or very hot outside, and the power outage starts going past 12 hours, with a chest freezer, refrigerator and water well to maintain, and a radio / TV to track the storm or power outage, etc. the stress level for my wife & I gets higher than it needs to be. Since I bought a power generator, I won't be without one now.

BarnieTrk

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review
Ford850,
Whew.... -14*F is nippy, for sure!
I'm glad things worked out as well as they did for ya!

Have you considered getting a power generator for such events?
If you had one, you could run it to power your block heater if need be.

My neighborhood looses electrical power, probably 2-4 times a year; usually for 4-48 hours at a time. 4 hours isn't bad, but when it's very cold or very hot outside, and the power outage starts going past 12 hours, with a chest freezer, refrigerator and water well to maintain, and a radio / TV to track the storm or power outage, etc. the stress level for my wife & I gets higher than it needs to be. Since I bought a power generator, I won't be without one now.

BarnieTrk
Have I considered it? I do, every time I lose power. ;) Other than the fact that we rarely loose power for more than 4 - 8 hours, my situation sounds very much like yours. I've looked into generators many times, and end up putting off a buy due to the expense of the ones I think I need. I would like a small Honda for convenience and to get much more use out of it, but that would not help much for the things you listed above. So I'd like this Honda Generator Model EU7000 - Mayberrys.com but I need a severe outage to push me over that edge. :)
Now maybe if that darn BatteryMinder didn't do such a good job, I might be shopping for a generator this week. :D

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #36  
but I need a severe outage to push me over that edge. :)
Now maybe if that darn BatteryMinder didn't do such a good job, I might be shopping for a generator this week. :D

The problem in waiting for a severe outage before you buy could cost you, big time. I put off buying a generator because we usually only had one or two outages a year and they rarely lasted more than 6-8 hours.
Then we had a windstorm from a Texas hurricane come through during the summer and we were knocked out for 7 days. It didn't make any difference what brand or size generator you wanted, there were none available anywhere around here, Lowes sold every generator they had the first day.

We had to sweat through that one, no AC and no fans to help cool us down but the big issue was that we had two full freezers and full a refrigerator. We gathered up every cooler we could find but three days into it, nobody had ice to sell because the two local ice plants were also without electricity.

I did buy a generator as soon as I could afterwards and naturally, we haven't lost power since, but I've found enough other uses for it to justify having it around.

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #37  
Yep, there are two times to buy a generator.

Before a power failure or after.
Choice is yours!

LOL, I lucked out when we had a major summer storm that blew down 9 poles near me. Judging by my local damage and radio reports I knew power would be down for a good time.
A local tool supply store figured the same thing so when I called they said a truckload should be at the store around 4:00 so I gave them my CC over the phone to reserve mine.
That was 10 years ago and it still serves me well 3-4 times a year.

It paid for itself simply by saving the 22 foot freezer and 2 fridges full of food.
It is wired via a manual transfer panel and covers everything except hot water and electric heaters.
Pump and septic also covered.
I have a fireplace and oil stove for backup heat.

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #38  
I bought a Northstar 5KW generator prior to the YK2000 dud-scare. Didn't really use it all that much until we lost power after the April 28, 2011 tornado swarms that went through north AL. Then we were without power for about 4 days or so.

I used that generator to power all my refrigs and freezers (4) plus the neighbors on both sides of me. We also turned out to be the cell phone and laptop recharger station for practically the whole neighborhood. I think I ended up having about 6 powerstrips all going at once.

Haven't used it much since. Worth every penny!

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #39  
I've had three battery minders, two have broken. They work great when they do. I hook them up as recommended, use mostly in part-heated garage, but only 2-4 years out of them. They're non-repairable for someone like me.
Jim

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #40  
jimmysisson,
I hear ya..... they are kinda like a smart phone, computers (desktop, laptop, car, take your pick), TV, when they work - they're great...when they don't work - they're just something to dust!

My smart charger also died after a couple of years, but I still had the warranty info, made the claim and they replaced it for free...so I'm back in business again.

Regarding portable power generators: Know that they need to be exercised periodically...meaning run them with a load (powering a frig, freezer, coffee pot, etc.) for at least 20 minutes every 3 to 6 months...or they will "wilt & die". Don't forget to use fuel treatment in the gas tank too...if possible use 100% gasoline, NO ethanol.

Just my :2cents:,,,,,, BarnieTrk