Batteryminder 1500 Review

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
There are several old threads on battery chargers, tenders, minders, etc. They had me confused and not sure on which one to buy. Then last fall my battery was slowly failing on my Case IH DX55. I finally decided on the BatteryMinder 1500 due to it's new ambient temperature sensor and other features (Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator System). You can see one here: BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator System — Model# 1500 | Battery Maintainers| Northern Tool + Equipment
When I ordered it, we had a below zero cold blast coming, with lots of snow in the forecast. I didn't think I would receive the minder before the snow, so I bought a new battery for the DX55 but didn't install it yet. The shipment came early, so I connected it to the DX and left it for 2 days. That battery would sit at 11.3 volts normally, but after the batteryminder was on it, it seemed to hold a 12.7 charge even after resting for days. It started great for that snow storm, even with temps near zero.
I also ordered a handful of the quick connect ring terminal cords, and a 25' extension cord with quick connects. I added the cords to the tractor, and each lawn mower, tiller, etc. that had a battery. I began connection each for approx. 3 days, then rotating the minder to the next battery. After charging them all, I left them rest for a couple weeks, and did that again, a couple more cycles. Now each of those batteries is holding a full charge after resting for a couple weeks in this extreme cold. The worst was that battery on the DX, and it now holds a full charge and starts easily every time. I returned the unused battery I purchased, for a full refund.
I like the temp sensor on these batteryminders. That allows for an automatic charge adjustment based on temperature. No need to worry about boiling the batteries in the hot summer months, and it gives the extra boost needed in the cold months. The lights on the 1500 are in appropriate colors so once you've seen them a couple times, you can tell right away if there is a problem, and what function is working at that time (charging, maintaining, desulfating).
I just thought I'd pass along my findings in case someone is thinking of one of these.

Last edited:
   / Batteryminder 1500 Review #2  
I have 2 of the older model 12117 and love it. I have brought back some marginal batteries several times and have been impressed. I currently use them on my ATV's to keep them charged and on my fifth wheel, dual six volts so that they don't die during the winter months. The fifth wheel I just leave it hooked up all the time, the ATV's just before I am going to ride.

I didn't realize there was a newer version, I guess I need to get one.

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #3  
I have an older one. While it doesn't work miracles it has revived several expensive batteries. The first battery was a large dozer battery that was dead, it couldn't do a thing to save it. But everything else has gone on to give me years more battery life.

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review
I'm not expecting a miracle cure, but it's already saved me from buying a battery for at least another year. What I'm really hoping to do is prolong the life of all the batteries by a year or 4(?) by keeping them topped off during the storage months in cold weather. The way I have things tucked in my barn, I occasionally have to start something to move it out of the way. Since it is then parked again and left resting for weeks/months, that is what really destroys the batteries. With my new process I can plug it in easily after starting the engines and not letting them run long enough to recharge the battery. And then also top all of them off every few weeks.

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #5  
Will the battery minder charge a completely dead battery or does it need to be brought up with a regular charger first?

Kind Regards,
Steve

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #6  
Will the battery minder charge a completely dead battery or does it need to be brought up with a regular charger first?

The paperwork that came with my battery tenders say that your battery should be completely charged before hooking them up. That being said, I had one battery that had been sitting on the workbench for a couple of months so I know it had to have self discharged some, but I went ahead and hooked the tender up. A few days later, it was showing full charge.

The BatteryMINDer is a Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator. I use it for charging partially discharged batteries and it works well (partially discharged = not enough charge to crank). It provides a slow deep charge, then holds the full charge while it desulfates the battery. For a completely discharged battery I would use a regular charger first and then let the BatteryMINDer work on it for several days or weeks to clean it up (fully discharged = left lights on and drained battery to zero state).

Last edited:
   / Batteryminder 1500 Review #8  
Has anyone compared it to the 2012? It looks as though it adds normal charging capabilities to the 1500. Sometimes bigger isn't always better (did I really just say that?) so I am looking for input.

/ Batteryminder 1500 Review #9  
I love those Battery Tenders! I have 4 that I rotate on a regular bases, but I also have a regular Schumacher with the 50 amp 'Start feature' charger, and a couple of cheap Schumacher 6v/12v chargers that I picked up for $6 each on some sale somewhere.

The Battery Tender model is by far the best I own, but they won't bring back to life a totally dead battery. I've decided that when a battery is truly dead - it's DEAD. All of the magic-in-a-bottle stuff just does not work. I've gotten as much a 7 years out of batteries with the Battery Tender though. Money well spent. Mine are really getting old; I may buy one of the Model 1500 for the desulfator system feature though. I could sure use that. Thanks for the lead.

Has anyone compared it to the 2012? It looks as though it adds normal charging capabilities to the 1500. Sometimes bigger isn't always better (did I really just say that?) so I am looking for input.

It looks like the 2012 is a 2 amp charger, compared to teh 1500 which is 1.5 amps. Other than that, the 2012 can charge up to 6 batteries at once while the 1500 can do 4. Although, the multiple battery charge feature is intended for all the same size and brand batteries, and all having the same amount of discharge. I don't have a need for that type of charging.