Batterys

/ Batterys #1  

greenthumb

Silver Member
Tractor
tc40, exmark lazer Z
This might be a dumb question but anyway. I have a 1010 that I am having trouble starting. just redid the carb. set timing and wondering if the next easeist source of why it does not want to start is the battery. I crank a few time and lose power. I am wondering if I am not getting good volts to give a good spark. My question is I can have the battery checked to see if it is good right? They can tell if it is holding a charge. I have tried charging and it doesn't seem to help. I am wondering if the battery is so gone that maybe a charge is past help. I just thought I would start with the battery before getting into more complex starting issues

/ Batterys #2  
Battery:

You can buy a tester for around > $10.00 and check each individual cell of the battery. If it does not come up to full charge or one cell is low it's probally time for a new one.

Egon

/ Batterys #3  
I agree with the tester idea, it's a good, but cheap device to have. In addition, how old is the battery? Most are dated for warranty purposes. In all likelyhood it is the battery. However, I had the same problem on my Ferguson, and replaced the battery, and then the new battery went dead. I returned the battery with no problem, and the next battery went dead. I had a short someplace. I replaced the voltage regulator(which is usually the cause of such a short), and still had the problem. A voltage meter showed a slight leakage on my key switch, which I will replace as soon as it gets warm. Electrical problems on vintage tractors can be hard to diagnose, but are usually very easy to fix, even for me, and I'm not much of a mechanic.

By the way, how do you like your 1010? I know someone who may be selling his, and am interested. Does your have a loader?

Rich
"What a long strange trip it's been."

/ Batterys
The tractor is great (when it runs of course) I have learned a lot from it. It does have a loader which I am trying to sell I want to keep the tractor but really don't need the loader I bought a tc40 this fall and use that for the loader work. I am going to keep the tractor since I think if I got rid of it I would kick myself down the road. I am making it my project

/ Batterys #5  
Have you considered pull starting the tractor? That would eliminate a lot of issues and give you an idea that the engine will run if it spins fast enough. Battery too low to spin the starter can still generally run the ignition. Of course, you need somebody to drive the pull vehicle (recommend that it be somebody other than your wife).