Batwing with a single remote?

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I'm just starting to look at getting a bigger tractor so I can pull a batwing mower. There is a Kubota for sale that might interest me with just one single rear remote. It's a 2004 M9000. From the pictures inside the cab, it looks like there really isn't another way to add a second remote. I have no idea if that's even possible, so I'm wondering if this tractor can pull a batwing mower?

Can the mower be set up to lift both the wings and the wheels on just the one remote? and then adjusted to lower to where I want it to be for mowing? I would need to do this when I go through my gates around my land. I would not be transporting it anywhere, or using it anywhere but my land. I just need something bigger to mow with, and I don't know if this is tractor is worth looking at or not?

CH4Ohio

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910, JD5103, Kubota L5740
I'm just starting to look at getting a bigger tractor so I can pull a batwing mower. There is a Kubota for sale that might interest me with just one single rear remote. It's a 2004 M9000. From the pictures inside the cab, it looks like there really isn't another way to add a second remote. I have no idea if that's even possible, so I'm wondering if this tractor can pull a batwing mower?

Can the mower be set up to lift both the wings and the wheels on just the one remote? and then adjusted to lower to where I want it to be for mowing? I would need to do this when I go through my gates around my land. I would not be transporting it anywhere, or using it anywhere but my land. I just need something bigger to mow with, and I don't know if this is tractor is worth looking at or not?

1) You can definitely add additional remotes to that tractor. Given the scarcity of tractors, I would not let that stop me if everything else fits.

2) You can set up or buy a batwing that folds up off of one remote.

CH4Ohio

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910, JD5103, Kubota L5740
From the pictures inside the cab, it looks like there really isn't another way to add a second remote. I have no idea if that's even possible, so I'm wondering if this tractor can pull a batwing mower?
1635350808133.png

You mentioned the pics from the cab. Looks like this is the "new type" cab layout. They put the first two remote handles in that one large slot by using bends to separate the actual handle end. Looks like a 3rd remote would go in the far right opening. FYI.

Attachments

• 1635350772346.png
    1635350772346.png
    128 KB · Views: 49

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
Or simply use a splitter or two.

OP
EddieWalker

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
I'm not familiar with a splitter

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
One input two outputs and they can be stacked I believe up to 3 for 4 separated outputs, commonly called VALVE SELECTOR SOLENOID OPERATED,
or a selector valve or a hydraulic multiplier. I have them on my back blade and will be installing one on my snow blower, they are also often installed as diverter valves for grapples and blades. One set of remotes and a switch and you have two remote hydraulic outlets.
1635354585810.png

MtnViewRanch

Elite Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,
Just an example.

One factory rear remote, four sets of couplers. Grey control grip on the factory valve lever with 3 control switches.

Attachments

• IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 118

kennyd

Advertiser
Tractor
John Deere 3720 CAB/TLB, JD455
Simplest way is to just hook up the cylinders in parallel, just like loader cylinders are. You won't have independent control over the wings, if you need that (for whatever reason) you can use a splitter (more commonly called a "diverter") like mentioned above.

Slowpoke Slim

Elite Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
Do you have a specific batwing in mind? I've seen some where the hydraulic layout on the batwing itself was set up to run the whole thing off of a single remote

Oh, kind of what Ken was alluding to....

workinonit

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5090E
My batwing FM is a single hydraulic input. It actually has all single input cylinders so I only have one hose to operate all 3 decks. I think the bush hog batwings have seperate inputs for each deck. Mine doesn't really matter because the decks must be down to run the PTO. I think some of the bush hogs you can have the decks partially up and still engaged.

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Can the mower be set up to lift both the wings and the wheels on just the one remote? and then adjusted to lower to where I want it to be for mowing? I would need to do this when I go through my gates around my land. I

I've got a hydraulic mower (blades are hydraulically powered via pump on PTO and then the wings/cutting height are controlled by the tractors hydraulics)

I don't think I'd want it to all operate on one remote (though I wonder if you could do that such that it raises/lowers FIRST and after reaching the end of that situation, THEN the wings fold or unfold???)

For my use, I generally keep the cutting height the same. I DO raise it every now & then but I could manage things at the single height. The wings however, need to move. I might drive down our (dead end) road to cut another part of the farm OR to simply cut the shoulder of the road.

I could get by with static height but wings operational. I'd REALLY like to get the wings independent of each other so I could raise one wing when I come to an embankment. I can raise the wing to cut it. I don't much like having the wing raised but it will in fact raise to vertical AND still be operational if someone was silly enough to do that (first time I saw those blades moving, it deeply embedded the 'heebie jeebies' in me on having the wings raised)

3Ts

Veteran Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpg
    IMG_3240.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 95

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpg
    IMG_3244.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 217
You could also add a valve bank easily enough. The Power Beyond hose from your loader would go to a valve bank with a PB port. That PB hose would go to wherever your loader hose went. You would need to add a drain hose to tank from the new valve bank.

rdewey

Tractor
john deere 650

Eddie, you can plumb a Batwing cutter to raise and fold both wings on one remote. You just plumb the wing cylinders into the height control cylinder. Once the cutter reaches max height the flow will divert to the wing cylinders and lift them.

TFisadog

Tractor
New Holland TC33D Kioti NX 4510
Check out Tractor Time with Tim He has a video on Summit Remotes that added remotes. There are a lot of options out there. I would talk with a local Hydraulic shop and they can explain the extra valve kits you can Add. HQI in Des Moines Iowa is my go to.

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710; JD 5425, 6105R, 7130-P; IH 1086
I'm just starting to look at getting a bigger tractor so I can pull a batwing mower. There is a Kubota for sale that might interest me with just one single rear remote. It's a 2004 M9000. From the pictures inside the cab, it looks like there really isn't another way to add a second remote.
I think you have some good answers above. I've had a batwing for over 20 years. My advice, like others is that you want to be able to independently control the wings from the tractor seat. Unless it is a big money issue, I'd really suggest a 3rd control for height.

I see 2 options with the cab tractor. A 'power beyond' multi-valve inside the cab is impractical for your situation. (1) add Kubota built-in remotes. A tractor dealer or repair shop should be able to do this for you. (2) electric solenoids. I bought two Fassi valves years ago - one valve I have allows control of two circuits, the other valve I have (that I have yet to implement) allows one valve to select between three circuits. With one of these, your one remote feeds into the solenoid block and with a switch inside the cab, you decide which circuit your single remote is operating. Pricey, but much less than adding permanent remotes to the tractor. As a bonus, if instead of mounting the solenoid valve on the mower, you mount the solenoid valve on your tractor "permanently", you have multiples for other implements.

m7040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
You can run it with one remote just fine. Raising the batwing during operation can damage the drive shafts. Having three remotes allows you to operate each wing separately and can speed things up when just have to lift one wing for clearance around a tree for instance

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
Flex wing finish mowers are a different animal. Most come standard with all 3 deck lifts plumbed in parallel operating off one single acting circuit. Batwing rotary cutters, not so much.

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
You can run it with one remote just fine. Raising the batwing during operation can damage the drive shafts. Having three remotes allows you to operate each wing separately and can speed things up when just have to lift one wing for clearance around a tree for instance
It is not clear what you are thinking when you say "one remote just fine". Surely, you are not activating all 3 cylinders concurrently.

I'm not sure where you get your information regarding damage when raising anything. I have owned 2 and can attest that there is no damage, and I have done lots of it for various reasons.

amhicks21

Silver Member
Tractor
l6060 kubota
I see some people arent understanding the differences in design between a flexwing finish mower and a batwing brushcutter. most flexwing mowers use a single hydraulic line plumbed to all the decks and require all decks to be down to use. they have a set cut height that cant be changed while in use. batwing brush cutters require more functions. If a finish mower would suit your purposes, then you're all set and you could just find a flex wing. If not, its really not that difficult to add a valve stack with as many remotes as you want. Ive put together remotes for 2 tractors for like 1/3 of the cost of one bought from the dealership.
20200109_130103.jpg
20200125_163539.jpg

m7040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
How do I know that my Woods batwing finish mower will be damaged if raised during operation? It happened when I forgot to turn off the PTO while raising the mower wings and caused one of the drive joints to break before I could turn it off.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
I have owned 2 and can attest that there is no damage, and I have done lots of it for various reasons.
That's your experience with a tiny sample of the brands and models of cutters built over the years. I can attest there is ample opportunity to inflict hundreds of dollars of driveline and gearbox damage to many mowers by operating them with the wings folded up.

Gee Ray

Gold Member
Tractor
Bota L2501, NH TL80A
Rhino model TS10 and TS12 are rough cut mowers for lower hp tractors and run off one remote. They are not a heavy duty mower but the would be useful to maintain pastures etc. Tractor Time with Tim shows him using one.

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
That's your experience with a tiny sample of the brands and models of cutters built over the years. I can attest there is ample opportunity to inflict hundreds of dollars of driveline and gearbox damage to many mowers by operating them with the wings folded up.
How do I know that my Woods batwing finish mower will be damaged if raised during operation? It happened when I forgot to turn off the PTO while raising the mower wings and caused one of the drive joints to break before I could turn it off.
Ok, understood. My 2 mowers were Servis / Rhino. The heavy duty, maybe even heavier than what is used by the county to mow ditches. Apparently the driveline design and angles of mine and others are different. I thought they would all behave the same.

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
I see some people arent understanding the differences in design between a flexwing finish mower and a batwing brushcutter. most flexwing mowers use a single hydraulic line plumbed to all the decks and require all decks to be down to use. they have a set cut height that cant be changed while in use. batwing brush cutters require more functions. If a finish mower would suit your purposes, then you're all set and you could just find a flex wing. If not, its really not that difficult to add a valve stack with as many remotes as you want. Ive put together remotes for 2 tractors for like 1/3 of the cost of one bought from the dealership.
Hey now, I like that layout. Do I see that right - 5 SVC plus the loader joystick? I've been wanting to add rear remotes to my Kubota ROPS. However, if you follow his link, you should see that the OP is considering a 2WD Cab tractor. Kinda hard to get all of the output hoses from inside the cab to the outside - not an impossible task, but complicated.

OP
EddieWalker

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Thank you for all the great advice. The tractor with just one remote has sold, so this is just good information for me while looking at other tractors. I wasn't sure if having just one remote, but liking everything else about the tractor was a deal breaker. It looks like it's a pretty simple thing to add another remote, or two, if I want to.

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
Rhino model TS10 and TS12 are rough cut mowers for lower hp tractors and run off one remote. They are not a heavy duty mower but the would be useful to maintain pastures etc. Tractor Time with Tim shows him using one.
I see that Tim used only one remote and it is noted at 21:15 that he raised the deck to clear an object. In researching Rhino documentation, Rhino states:

"The TS10 is plumbed to require 1 tractor remote valve. Hydraulics are phased so the entire unit level lifts before the wings raise. The above kits allow hydraulic functions to be operated separately, but require 2 or 3 tractor remote valves."

While it is possible to use one remote, I think as a recommendation, it creates undisclosed limitations. When the deck is lifted, the wing tips become very light, so using this technique to mow with more height will have negative operational results. One also cannot lift a wing over a mud hole, stump or the edge of a pond.

If someone here asks for advice, if I were in their shoes, I would want to know what is practical, not what is minimal unless stated. So I try to respond that way. BTW, a TS10 mower is $10k. Spending that kind of money while recommending 1 remote doesn't make sense to me.

Popgadget

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I have a Progressive TD65 16 foot finish mower. It has one pair of lines to work all three double acting cylinders to fold the side decks and raise the rear deck. I do have 3 remotes, but it only uses one. And yes, it would be a costly mistake to fold it up while the pto shaft was still turning.

I’ve also had JD and Woods batwing “bush hogs” that would also be damaged by folding them up with the pto engaged. They used two remotes, one to fold, one to raise and lower the wheels.

Overtaxed

Tractor
Kioti NX6010, JD 2720 w/46BH, Honda Pioneer 1000
My Woods BW12 is setup for a single remote. It's actually only a single line going back to the mower (power up, gravity down, so no need for 2 lines). When I got it, I thought I'd replumb it for 2 or 3 remotes, my tractor has 3 remotes on it, so I figured "why not". Well, 3 years later, it's still setup for a single. It works great, it's easy to hook up with a single hose, and I really have no need to raise the wings independently. As others have said, you have to shut down the PTO to lift the wings, the only CV joint is on the PTO shaft, so if you lift while it's running, you're gonna stress the heck out of the shaft/break it.

Anyway, yes, you can run it on a single remote and, honestly, despite having plenty of remotes, if I bought another one tomorrow, I'd have it setup for a single again. The ease of hookup and lack of hoses is very nice.

I have a rear blade with 3 cylinders on it (tilt/angle/offset) and I dread hooking that thing up. 6 monster hoses, and you have to get them "right" (one to input, one to output). Sounds easy, in practice, it's a PITA. For that thing, I do need all the remotes, but, if I could do with fewer, I would.

RickB

Super Star Member
Tractor
Just a Scag
Color code the 6 hoses on your blade and the couplers on the tractor. Not difficult or expensive to use paint, colored tape or colored zip ties. Do it once and eliminate all the guesswork and confusion getting the functions attached to your preference.

RancherGuy

Gold Member
Tractor
I have a rear blade with 3 cylinders on it (tilt/angle/offset) and I dread hooking that thing up. 6 monster hoses, and you have to get them "right" (one to input, one to output). Sounds easy, in practice, it's a PITA. For that thing, I do need all the remotes, but, if I could do with fewer, I would.
FWIW and not to intrude on this topic, but I have a rear blade with 4 cylinders, connected to my 3 SCV remotes. I have an electric splitter to select between 2 cylinders, thus supporting the 4. I know what you mean by the monster hoses. However, all of my lines are 1/4" - light and flexible. No need to go with anything larger, especially avoid the 1/2". You only need large diameter if you want the cylinders to react quickly. On a blade, there is no such requirement. When yours ages out and need to be replaced, or when you get tired of man-handling them, replace with smaller hoses.

And another suggestion to save time and frustration is to use colored zip ties. I have a bundle of 4" long ones (very small) that come in multiple colors. For port 1 hoses, I put on 1 zip tie on the hose tip ... port 2 has 2 zip ties ... port 3 has 3 zip ties. I use green for the lower hose (closest to grass) and red or yellow for the upper hose (closest to the sun). Never gotten them mixed up.