Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023

/ Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023 #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
Can't find the previous thread on the lawsuits ....

(CN) — Monsanto’s parent company announced it will remove glyphosate-based products from retail store shelves by 2023 to prevent future litigation claims related to the chemical ingredient.

Bayer Ag said Tuesday that it would remove RoundUp from shelves and replace glyphosate with “new formulations that rely on alternative active ingredients.”

“This move is being made exclusively to manage litigation risk and not because of any safety concerns,” the company said in a news release. “As the vast majority of claims in the litigation come from Lawn & Garden market users, this action largely eliminates the primary source of future claims.”

Not sure what this means for the alternative/generic sellers.

/ Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023 #2  
I don't agree with the way that Monsanto (now Bayer) has touted it as a cure-all for all of your weed woes. However, properly used it's one of the safer herbicides out there. This is going to cause more problems than it solved in the long run.

/ Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023 #4  
Also, from that article: "The company will replace glyphosate in Roundup regardless but continue to make the chemical available for professionals, including large-scale agriculture operation, it said." (emphasis added).

I suspect the only real changes will be the coverage will drive additional sales (along with political trumpeting from various groups) when the reality is more likely to be that not much changes beyond the introduction of a "new" chemical and a glyphosate will just become another item that will no longer be as available to the average individual (without additional hassles - potentially more becoming that it's worth to pursue).

/ Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023 #5  
Sounds like they are only pulling it from retail shelves. Landscape pros and Ag pros will still have access.

Their sales had been hurting a bit in that segment too, I suspect because of the negative press and lawsuits. I was surprised they didn't attempt to rebrand it with a different name.

/ Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023 #6  
Don't impact me. I can still purchase it (and I do). Have a pesticide-Herbicide applicators license. I buy it for professional use anyway in the not for public use concentration.

/ Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023 #8  
Bayer was not very smart when they bought Monsanto.

Look at Bayer stock price v overall market. Their shareholders are not a happy bunch.

MoKelly

They are not worried about the short term issues. The long game is their concern.
Keep buying up the competition no matter how lame they are until you control the market.

/ Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023 #9  
They are pulling from retail because there is not a profit there anymore. There are lots of other companies making a glyphosate weed killer.

/ Bayer To End Glyphosate Sales by 2023 #10  
I read an article on this. Bayer is working on a replacement ........