BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start

/ BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start #1  

oldtelephone

Will I finaly found a BCS tiller I can afford and is what I want in size. I has come with a 10 hp B & S and it works fine but I hate B&S to work on and I have just fell into a nice 13 hp Honda with Electric start. I pulled the B&S off and thought a would look in on the clutch and see how bad it was. The rubber boot around the clutch lever was not of the best shape and the pervious owner was not too proud of his BCS. I believe it lived outside durning the winter months for the last few years. As I removed the engine the water ran out on the floor. (Not A Good sign) I also found some ball bearings loose in the housing under the clutch. Anyone know what they might be from? A good place to buy a new boot? Maybe a clutch? how about a used battery holder for my electric start Honda?

/ BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start #2  
Here's a good place to find the parts you need, Joel can take care of the adapter for the Honda and the boot for the clutch fork, don't know where you can find a used battery holder, maybe Ebay. Welcome to TBN, you can find lots of info here Earth Tools - Walk-Behind Tractors - (502) 484-3988 and you have one fine machine once you get the little stuff taken care of.

/ BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start
Here are a couple of pictures to start. My Batteries died I Will take more later.

Attachments

• HPIM0109.jpg
    HPIM0109.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 3,313
  • HPIM0111.jpg
    HPIM0111.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 1,577
   / BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start #4  
Earth Tools Bulletin Board

Friday, October 03, 2008
REPLACEMENT ENGINE SALE!!!
We always look for good deals to offer our customers, and we have found some great engines which will re-power older BCS machines for a new lease on life. (Note: if your BCS had an ACME engine on it, you will need an "adaptor kit" to make any engine other that an ACME fit. We offer these kits for prices ranging from $150 to $220, depending on tractor model.; kits include a new clutch. Call for details.) All engines configured for BCS remote throttle hookup on request at no extra charge.

9hp Briggs & Stratton Vanguard (manufactured for Briggs by Mitsubishi), recoil start $395
9hp Subaru-Robin, recoil start $469
9hp Honda, recoil start $525
10hp Kohler (manufactured for Kohler by Yamaha), recoil start $589
13hp Honda, recoil start $599

Wrap-around bumper with skid plate for all but 9hp Vanguard $75 with bolts

Call Earth Tools at 502-484-3988 to order. All can ship UPS.

Here I have added the 13 HP Honda and Fired it up. Everything is working fine but I have found the BCS shop did not add the Spacer between the Mounting flange and clutch. I am now waiting on that to arrive.

Attachments

• HPIM0118.jpg
    HPIM0118.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 1,944
  • HPIM0117.jpg
    HPIM0117.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 1,525
I found several web sites with engines much cheaper than the ones to someone posted as an advertisement in my thread. But I found mine on Craigslist as a Pressure washer. These freeze and break in our area and cost too much to repair. This is a great source for use motors. Also I have bought several Honda 13 HP motors off ebay at a great savings.

/ BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start #7  
HI Oldtelephone,
Someone on the site referred me to this old thread. I'm in the same predicament, I have the same BCS 830 and would like to upgrade the engine to a 13hp Honda. Was it pretty much unbolt the old engine and clutch assembly, transfer old clutch on new engine, and then bolt on new engine and clutch to the tractor? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

/ BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start #8  
Think I'd install a Hatz air cooled diesel on it instead.

/ BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start #9  
Thanks for the recommendation 5030 but that engine is way out of my price range.

/ BCS 850 Motor Swap 10HP BS to a 13hp Honda Electric start #10  
I think BCS at one time came with a Hatz air cooled single cylinder diesel. I remember seeing pictures of them and of course wanting one but never got one. I'll just have to settle for my old Troy Bilt Horse and the newer Cub Cadet counter rotating time tiller that really isn't a bad unit. Garden is as big as it will ever get so no need to break ground anymore. In fact, I should sell the Troy Bilt, never use it anymore. Gas is probably stale.