bcs 850 reverse issue

/ bcs 850 reverse issue #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
I bought a used bcs 850 a little while back and recently the reverse cable broke. I bought a new one and replaced it. The problem is that the shifter lever won't go all the way back to the stop when I pull the shifter lever into reverse. The spring seems fine but the rod won't go all the way back unless I gently tap it with a hammer. I have watched the video that Joel has on you tube on how to adjust it but even after adjustment it still doesn't quite seat right.

Is it possible that the shifter lever on the transfer case is bent outward making the rod rub on the bracket? Or could the reverse lever on the transfer case need more lubrication? I have sprayed it with silicone spray. It there something else I'm missing on adjustment? The new cable isn't the issue so far as I can see because the rod and lever stop/catch while the cable still has more room to go. They seem to stop about 3/16" or 1/4" before the end stop. I've included a couple pictures to show the mechanism. My gut feeling is that it's where the lever meets the transfer case.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20140917_194652.jpg
    20140917_194652.jpg
    1,008.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 20140917_194622.jpg
    20140917_194622.jpg
    1,009.4 KB · Views: 228
   / bcs 850 reverse issue
I've gone back out and tried the tractor with the new-to-me sickle bar mower I just got and it seemed to go into forward and reverse just fine. Maybe I'm overly concerned? I took a look again at the manual and it made me wonder if maybe the cable is connected on the wrong end of the bracket? I simply replaced the cable the way it was hooked up before.

Anybody out there have a 850 that can tell me if I have my cable backwards? Thanks.

/ bcs 850 reverse issue #3  
Are you saying it didn't work while it was not running, but it engaged when it was running? Was your PTO engaged when you tried to get it into reverse?

/ bcs 850 reverse issue
With the tractor not running and the pto not engaged the reverse lever didn't want to go all the sway back to the forward position. Meaning, I could pull the reverse lever into the reverse position but when I flipped it back to go in the forward position it wouldn't retract all the way. However, when I started the tractor and tried reverse to forward with the tractor running (but not the pto on) it seemed to engage in the forward position just fine. Reverse worked fine too with no noticeable grinding. I just didn't know if the bracket was bent and wouldn't let the rod snap back into forward the way the one did in the video I saw from earthtools. I really just want to make sure I'm not doing any harm to the tractor.

/ bcs 850 reverse issue #5  
If the tractor is not running it may not go into a different gear/or reverse, nothing wrong, the gears just can't mesh when they are not moving a little bit. I bet if you rock the machine a little, things will fall in place, but as long as they work with the tractor running, don't worry. Worry when they grind :)

/ bcs 850 reverse issue
Thank you for the input. I think my bcs is ready for work again. Now if only the weather would cooperate...