BCS 853 electric start

/ BCS 853 electric start #1  

jrpeterson05

Tractor
BCS 720, BCS 739
I just got my BCS 853 with the electric start and I want to make sure I understand how the electric start works so I don't mess anything up.

First, does the electric start system have an alternator to keep the battery charged? I don't see any light or indication that that says it is charging. Or do I need to charge it after so many starts? Is it best to hook it up every week or so or wait until the battery dies?

Second, on the ignition key there is an off position, on position and start position. Do I need to turn the key to the off position if I am not using the BCS? I move the BCS around a lot on a trailer and the key looks like it could easily fall out in the off position. Is it bad to leave it in the on position when not using it so the key cant easily fall out?

Thanks

/ BCS 853 electric start #2  
It will stay charged as long as you don't start/stop/start/stop often without giving it a chance to run long enough to recharge some between starts. There are no lights or gauges to show the battery charge state. When planting my garden I typically till down and back, then stop while I plant that row. Start again and do the same, repeating this 10 or 20 times and never had an issue. But if I'm not running it for at least 10 minutes I toss a smart trickle charger on it to top off the battery for a day or two just in case. That helps the battery last longer.
I've never had the key fall out, but if you're concerned you could add a short wire/string to the key loop and attach the other end nearby on the engine. That would act as a safety lanyard in case if fell out while trailering.

/ BCS 853 electric start #3  
If you leave the key in the "on" position to prevent it from falling out you will likely be discharging the battery at a slow rate.

/ BCS 853 electric start #4  
Second, on the ignition key there is an off position, on position and start position. Do I need to turn the key to the off position if I am not using the BCS? I move the BCS around a lot on a trailer and the key looks like it could easily fall out in the off position. Is it bad to leave it in the on position when not using it so the key cant easily fall out?

The key issue depends on the engine,, and type of ignition,,
I have a Troy-Bilt tiller with a Kohler Magnum - 8,, and I have a Wheel Horse garden tractor with a Kohler Magnum - 10 ,,
These two engines use a magneto ignition,,When the key is turned to "off" the magneto is grounded to stall the engine.

Both of these machines are parked or transported with the key left in the "on" position, so as to not loose the key,,
Leaving the key in the "on" position does not discharge the battery (neither machine has an hourmeter,,having an hourmeter could be an issue)
I ALWAYS park the Troy-Bilt in the garden with the key in the "on" position,, by stopping the engine with the throttle "off" position,,
I would not want to drop the tiller key in a freshly tilled garden, that key would be gone forever,,

Older Kohler engines will not discharge the battery,, if the engine happens to stop rotating with the points in the open position,,
If the points are closed, the battery will discharge,, and the points will be burned to a useless state,, a double negative,,,

So,, what engine does the machine have?? is there an hourmeter??

/ BCS 853 electric start #5  
My BCS 850 with a Honda motor will drain the battery if the key is left on. No real issue because it will also pull start. All my small engines have hr meters, only the BCS has electric start. All the hr meters have their own internal battery. The engine does charge the battery during operation, no alternator.