BCS - Can't change directions

/ BCS - Can't change directions #1  

jbradley

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4020, JD 430 garden tractor, BCS 948, BCS 732
With the handlebars oriented on the pto side of the transmission, my 948 won't go into reverse. The lever easily moves into the forward position, and engages. It is difficult to throw the lever back into reverse. (The converse is also the same. When using a front facing implement, it won't go into forward.)

The tractor was stored over winter with no implement attached, so the engine/transmission were slanted, with the forward/rear linkage being at the high side of the slant.

Any clues as to solving the problem?

/ BCS - Can't change directions #2  
Sometimes the cables bind when changing handlebar directions. Move them back and forth as you change the direction. Examine the cables.

/ BCS - Can't change directions
It doesn't matter which directions the handle bars are facing. The lever at the handlebars moves the lever along the side of the transmission, but it will only drive in one direction. It's acts like it's in neutral when in the pulled back position (away from the engine). It moves appropriately when the lever is thrown toward the engine.

/ BCS - Can't change directions #4  
It doesn't matter which directions the handle bars are facing. The lever at the handlebars moves the lever along the side of the transmission, but it will only drive in one direction. It's acts like it's in neutral when in the pulled back position (away from the engine). It moves appropriately when the lever is thrown toward the engine.
I am not a bcs guy, but does the lever travel the same amount when the handlebars are reversed? Seems like one of the control cables may be misadjusted. Post some pictures and some of us that don't know bcs might see something. Or call Joel at earthtools. I hear he is very helpful, even if you didn't buy it from him.

/ BCS - Can't change directions #5  
If it is not this, it is something internal.

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk
Thank you. It's been raining here, so I haven't played with it, yet, but when the lever is thrown, it's about 2cm from the end stop. I'll tighten it to get it closer to the end stop. So, I think that might solve it.

If it's something internal, the one consolation is that I'm already going to have to tear into the transmission anyway. My PTO pops out of gear under high load. Tilling and mowing still go ok, but the rotary plow is almost impossible to use. I already have the gears to put in that I got from Joel.

Thank you. That solved the problem. I did have to move the cable clamp pin as there wasn't enough movement at the lever.

• Good Post
Reactions: Lnk