Bear Trouble

/ Bear Trouble
Around here it used to be that we only had a problem for a few weeks between when the bears came out of their dens and the berries started getting ripe and there was a good mast crop the previous fall...
...Now days with the price of honey...bee keepers from surrounding counties all bring their hives here for the Sourwood bloom that lasts into August...
With all the hives (protected with electric fences) the bears hang around...
The sad part is if you call wildlife they just tell you to stop putting bird seed out etc...meanwhile the bears tear up bbq grills and get into to feed bins etc...and wildlife won't do anything...but if a bee keeper has a problem with a bear they will come out and set a trap and remove the bear...!
AG use I guess?

The officer went through all the problems and every answer was no... no feeders, no pets, no garbage, no food, etc...

In today's SF Chronicle a large story about California attempts to reintroduce Grizzly bears after 100 years since last sighting...

According to the story it's the Feds that veto reintroduction.

There are groups with the goal of reintroducing bears and saying when there is a problem almost always the human at fault...

/ Bear Trouble
Unfortunately it really depends on the specific animal and why they are attacking. Generalizations don't really work.

What about an electric fence around the place or common entry points?
When cabin is vacant all utilities off...

Not sure how to insure electric fence working when no there plus more reports of fires from malfunctioning fences...

Been in Tahoe since the 1930's and only recently having a problem with any wildlife...

Last edited:
   / Bear Trouble
Anyone loaded for bear?

I would think a single 306 to the skull would drop a bear but not being a hunter or around hunters I have no idea?

/ Bear Trouble #107  
I have a huge bear problem also .

Fish cops are the same out here .

No harassment of the wildlife .

Attachments

• 8B1349AE-EA88-45CC-B49F-E63142D462FC.jpeg
    8B1349AE-EA88-45CC-B49F-E63142D462FC.jpeg
    704.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 566E3EAB-0969-41DE-B958-17B68B9C2DD4.jpeg
    566E3EAB-0969-41DE-B958-17B68B9C2DD4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
   / Bear Trouble #108  
AG use I guess?

The officer went through all the problems and every answer was no... no feeders, no pets, no garbage, no food, etc...

In today's SF Chronicle a large story about California attempts to reintroduce Grizzly bears after 100 years since last sighting...

According to the story it's the Feds that veto reintroduction.

There are groups with the goal of reintroducing bears and saying when there is a problem almost always the human at fault...
I would be in favor of reintroducing large numbers of grizzly bears in the large cities of SF and LA.

/ Bear Trouble #109  
Anyone loaded for bear?

I would think a single 306 to the skull would drop a bear but not being a hunter or around hunters I have no idea?
yes it would the issue it’s hitting the brain or the spin … see the brains is the size of a soft ball, the spine the size of a base ball and the head is the size of a beach ball and it’s a moving target a few inch off and mind as well calling it a miss

/ Bear Trouble #110  
I wonder how a bear in the yard would react to a sudden opening of a tiger-face umbrella.

:)

Bruce

tiger-umbrella.jpg