Bear Trouble

/ Bear Trouble #121  
As a kid I was on the farm when cows and pigs were slaughter and it was a single pop and down like a ton of bricks.
Still done that way in lot of places. I drop my steers with a 40 cal, just my preference since it has worked well for years. Then it's off to be processed by us on site.

/ Bear Trouble #122  
With us it depends on the animal, some of our beefers are nervous if someone gets in close to them,
that will get them wound up which will effect the meat so those get a rifle, head shoot often with a .223 ranch rifle.
Occasionally with a .32 Winchester depends on whats handy.
If it's a calm one that doesn't get wound up will be a handgun.

/ Bear Trouble #123  
Old HP 40 carbine, but of mine are used to me being there, we feed treats every night. But I agree with on the nervous part affecting the meat. I want them as happy as possible to last moment.

/ Bear Trouble #124  
Used to use a 22LR derringer. Up tight, right under the jaw where the Jugular vein and carotid artery are. They would drop straight down and fast, so you wanted to be able to step back.

/ Bear Trouble #125  
Not mine to sell… cabin belongs to mom and in the family since 1964…

As always a story behind it so don’t see selling in the picture unless taxes go crazy…

Besides where would I keep the 1957 boat that has not been legal to use in decades due to the two stroke ban… a part of my childhood that will never be forgotten when Dad let me drive!
Lot of suggestions for ammonia, if you have a neighbor close enough to sprinkle a gallon around the place a couple of times a month, I would love to hear if it worked?

I would try the bear spray in a pinch, your risk with a 45-70 or something that has a high level of success is missing and harming someone. Bears around people, in a populated area is about worst case. I know it is cali, but, it is disappointing f&g won't do the right thing.

best,

ed

best,

ed

/ Bear Trouble
Will try ammonia... already bought it.

Neighbor who is always there... we basically share a driveway... left on his once a year 3 week vacation to see family..

He did attach plywood to stich the door together enough to close...

Noth really of value unless furniture from the 50' is valuable?

/ Bear Trouble #127  
Will try ammonia... already bought it.

Neighbor who is always there... we basically share a driveway... left on his once a year 3 week vacation to see family..

He did attach plywood to stich the door together enough to close...

Noth really of value unless furniture from the 50' is valuable?
thanks please do let us know:)

/ Bear Trouble #128  
Lot of suggestions for ammonia, if you have a neighbor close enough to sprinkle a gallon around the place a couple of times a month, I would love to hear if it worked?

I would try the bear spray in a pinch, your risk with a 45-70 or something that has a high level of success is missing and harming someone. Bears around people, in a populated area is about worst case. I know it is cali, but, it is disappointing f&g won't do the right thing.

best,

ed

best,

ed
Ammonia works 100% of the time. There is nothing better.

Works too good to replace bear spray. You get ammonia on your stuff trying to keep the bears away while hunting... You will never see a game animal ever again either.

/ Bear Trouble
You know how Tahoe cabins were in yesteryear... the old stuff went to Tahoe... Great Grandma's chrome kitchenet table... the old crockery and flatware that somehow is all monogramed USN but no one in the family has these initials???

Actually quite a bit of USN so maybe the Army Navy surplus store?

Floor lamps from the 1930's too...

Last edited: