Bear Trouble

/ Bear Trouble #132  
Instead of spreading ammonia, how about putting some in light plastic jugs with handles, like half gallon milk jugs, that can be strung on a rope across where they try to access? They'll claw one open, get it all over themselves, and hopefully reel away, never to try that again. That way you won't be wasting it, or getting it on anything that doesn't like it; kind of the reciprocal of the Israeli's bladders of pigs blood on the buses.

/ Bear Trouble #133  
I can tell you that bear spray works. It also lingers. Spraying it around perimeter the property after lock up may help. With a 5' set back the neighbors may be a bit peeved though. However, if enough neighbors use the stuff the bears will avoid the place.

I use electric fencing all the time. If there are any restrictions it's a municipality thing.

I had a coyote issue awhile back. As crazy as it sounds "fixing" a coyote like a stray dog isn't allowed. You kill them but trimming the family tree isn't an option. I assume that it's same with bears.

At risk of making light of a serious subject, you could throw your bear a soccer ball.

Sprayed a bear once....didn't do squat, although the little bastid did look like he was licking his chops.

Had another can and had friends over for a BBQ. Not sure who's idea it was but we decided to really check out the spray pattern. Wind blew it in the house...my bad. Wife was pissed.

/ Bear Trouble #134  
Instead of spreading ammonia, how about putting some in light plastic jugs with handles, like half gallon milk jugs, that can be strung on a rope across where they try to access? They'll claw one open, get it all over themselves, and hopefully reel away, never to try that again. That way you won't be wasting it, or getting it on anything that doesn't like it; kind of the reciprocal of the Israeli's bladders of pigs blood on the buses.
That‘s why I mentioned in an early post to fill a balloon full and smear bacon grease on it. That is as mean of thing you can do to a bear.

/ Bear Trouble #136  
Guns and spray can be iffy. With a gun you gotta practice. Spray..well....

After my first double bluff charge, I told myself #1 thing is to stop the charge. Killing is the first choice but if I can turn it, it gives me time.

I hardly ever carried a pistol in the bush. Mid 90's I carried a 44mag but realized real fast...it's heavy. Since I always carried a rifle anyways, why the extra weight.

Out for a family walk, I'd carry my 357.

Most problem with folks and big bore pistols is the recoil. They may be able to get one shot off quick but do a double tap with a casull accurately in under a couple seconds at most. Some can but most can't.

/ Bear Trouble #137  
I might have some rug making trouble, but I ain't gonna have any bear trouble.

/ Bear Trouble #138  
Stuff like This is why I wish everyone knew about ammonia effect on bears. Please tell everyone you know that if they put ammonia outside their place they won’t have to needless kill bears.

/ Bear Trouble #139  
4 cubs...wow. don't see that everyday.

It's all about education and gov control. If folks who live in bear country are educated and then gov lifts the dlp requirements, I bet you will see less bears killed.

In 18 years I only shot 1 dlp bear (defense of life and property). Otherwise I used the grey matter between my ears. Ran into a lot of bears, both black and brown but only had to shoot once.

Hated having to do it but the kids are more important than a black bear

/ Bear Trouble #140  
4 cubs...wow. don't see that everyday.

It's all about education and gov control. If folks who live in bear country are educated and then gov lifts the dlp requirements, I bet you will see less bears killed.

In 18 years I only shot 1 dlp bear (defense of life and property). Otherwise I used the grey matter between my ears. Ran into a lot of bears, both black and brown but only had to shoot once.

Hated having to do it but the kids are more important than a black bear
And I would guarantee that homeowner voted yes to re-introduce wolves that passed last year in CO. Our society deserves everything it gets.