Beaver Deciever

/ Beaver Deciever #11  
Beavers over time can ruin a piece of property. It is a never been ending battle. We kill a few every year but more always show pack up.

/ Beaver Deciever #12  
We have some beaver problems here as well.

But then we have 'tree hugger' problems, (like you can't kill god's little creatures).
Then they wanted the owner's association to fund trappers to catch and relocate(?) the beavers.

I still think the 3S method is best. (shoot, shovel and shut up)
We tried that using shot guns as many houses within range.
No go!
Beaver hearing is so sharp that they dive at the sound if the trigger pull and the shot simply hits open water where the beaver was.
A .22 would be best were it not for bullets deflecting on the water from low angle shots.

About the only way is to protect precious trees with wire hardware cloth (stucco mesh works also) and run pipes wherever they make a dam.
Best is to place a 'T' at the pipe entirety and even extra 'T's' at the ends of the first "T" as to fool them as they search for the eddies and plug them.

City gave us an old 8 inch drain pipe that we placed where the dam was. It was about 12 ft long so we centered it where the dam was, ie 6 ft up stream, and that served us well until the pipe simply rotted out and collapsed.
I had seen old successful installations that simply used stove pipe but the lifespan on tin is pathetically short.

Today PVC drain pipe would be ideal, even the corrugated 4 or 6 inch irrigation piping would work.

/ Beaver Deciever
Beavers actually serve a worthwhile function. Before fur went out of vogue the population was kept in check by trappers. Now that they have few predators they are getting out of control though.

For an interesting read check out this book Three Against the Wilderness by Eric Collier about a husband and wife who moved with their kid to the wilderness of B.C. (IIRC) to live off the land.
I read the book 20 years ago (At Hamm's Inn down in the Adirondacks) so my memory might not be perfect. But it tells of how the area beaver had been trapped out, so they started rebuilding dams themselves to enhance the muskrat population. Eventually the government allowed them to have a pair of beaver to repopulate the area.

Not to hijack the thread, but the 48 hour proprietory period has expired.... and besides, it's my thread anyways. ;)

Last edited:
   / Beaver Deciever #14  
B4 Bridget Bardeau beavers were not a problem as the pelts were in high demand.
Today a pelt is lucky to fetch $20.
Main problem is beaver are in the rodent family and reproduce at a rapid rate.

Even the british guards now sport synthetic fur hats.

/ Beaver Deciever #15  
My mind must be really in the gutter..... I thought you were talking about something else.... :shocked::eek:

/ Beaver Deciever
My mind must be really in the gutter..... I thought you were talking about something else.... :shocked::eek:

No, when you stop thinking that you will be posting over in the "You know you are getting old" thread...